WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Caran d'Ache Pablo set worth it?

I'm contenplating buying the Caran d'Ache Pablo 120 pencil set but would like to know if they are worth the price.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Florida, in a nice sunny spot

Hails from United States
Re: Caran d'Ache Pablo set worth it?

Hi - I have a small set, which I love. They're very creamy - and easy to blend. I love how they look on black paper. A good choice. You could always buy some open stock or a small set to try out before you invest in the large one.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

I love my Pablos! They're a bit more $ than Prismas or FC polys, but for my style of working they're well worth it.

I'm going to 2nd Jenny's suggestion to either get a small set or get a few random colors out of open stock to try them.

Good luck~
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

They are absolutely worth it in my opinion. Here's the lowdown from a Pablo user - by the way, I work with a heavy hand so this is why they work well for me...

-- They are harder than Prismacolors, this is nice because you sharpen less as they hold a point longer... great for detailed work. Even though they are harder they are not scratchy like some other harder brands can be. They are still creamy.

-- Because they are harder, for me... they work best on sanded surfaces such as Art Spectrum Colourfix Pastel Paper, Ampersand Pastelbord and others like Wallis Sanded Pastel Paper. They also work well on Canson Mi-Teintes Drawing Papers and Cold Pressed Watercolor Paper. So, good for harder or textured surfaces.

If you prefer softer surfaces such as Stonehenge - they still work well, it's just that they tend to push the tooth down if you have a heavier hand like I do. So, you'd have to work with a light touch.

-- They don't seem to 'clog' up as much - in other words, they don't make as many of these blotchy unwanted little clusters of pigment that Prisma's and Coloursofts sometimes do - on either hard or soft surfaces.

-- They don't roll around all over the place, the hexagonal shape prevents them from rolling - this is a good thing for me, as my drafting table is slightly tilted.

-- The white and blacks are excellent (especially on sanded surfaces) because they are very rich - the black makes very deep black which is difficult to achieve with Prisma's - the white can go over darker colors easier than Prisma's.
I also love to use the Cream for blending yellows or colors close to yellow, the Light Green for greens, Bluish Pale for blues and Granite Rose for pinks and reds... these (& the blacks and white) I have to replace most often.

-- You can buy them open stock online.

There are a few disadvantages, such as not being able to glue the back ends together like you can with Prisma's. But I have been sharpening the stubs with a hand held sharpener and then use sandpaper to get a sharp point to be able to use them -- I have all these little teeny tiny white stubbies - I guess I could continue to sharpen those with a knife.
Also, there are a few colors as with Prisma's that are not lightfast... however I guess one could use them all just for blending.

As you can tell - I really like them, they are my favorite pencils. However, I couldn't do without Prisma's there are just as many reasons to like them as well.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Lily
They are absolutely worth it in my opinion. Here's the lowdown from a Pablo user - by the way, I work with a heavy hand so this is why they work well for me...

-- They are harder than Prismacolors, this is nice because you sharpen less as they hold a point longer... great for detailed work. Even though they are harder they are not scratchy like some other harder brands can be. They are still creamy.

-- Because they are harder, for me... they work best on sanded surfaces such as Art Spectrum Colourfix Pastel Paper, Ampersand Pastelbord and others like Wallis Sanded Pastel Paper. They also work well on Canson Mi-Teintes Drawing Papers and Cold Pressed Watercolor Paper. So, good for harder or textured surfaces.

If you prefer softer surfaces such as Stonehenge - they still work well, it's just that they tend to push the tooth down if you have a heavier hand like I do. So, you'd have to work with a light touch.

-- They don't seem to 'clog' up as much - in other words, they don't make as many of these blotchy unwanted little clusters of pigment that Prisma's and Coloursofts sometimes do - on either hard or soft surfaces.

-- They don't roll around all over the place, the hexagonal shape prevents them from rolling - this is a good thing for me, as my drafting table is slightly tilted.

-- The white and blacks are excellent (especially on sanded surfaces) because they are very rich - the black makes very deep black which is difficult to achieve with Prisma's - the white can go over darker colors easier than Prisma's.
I also love to use the Cream for blending yellows or colors close to yellow, the Light Green for greens, Bluish Pale for blues and Granite Rose for pinks and reds... these (& the blacks and white) I have to replace most often.

-- You can buy them open stock online.

There are a few disadvantages, such as not being able to glue the back ends together like you can with Prisma's. But I have been sharpening the stubs with a hand held sharpener and then use sandpaper to get a sharp point to be able to use them -- I have all these little teeny tiny white stubbies - I guess I could continue to sharpen those with a knife.
Also, there are a few colors as with Prisma's that are not lightfast... however I guess one could use them all just for blending.

As you can tell - I really like them, they are my favorite pencils. However, I couldn't do without Prisma's there are just as many reasons to like them as well.

Thanks for that great response. It was very helpful. I just looked through the Blick studio catalog and saw that the Pablo set is on sale for $199. I think I will buy a set.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

The Pablos are among the smoothest color pencils (along with Faber-Castell Polychromoses) and the full 120 color range includes especially many bright and clean colors. Some specialties are the 150 Sapphire blue which is one of the purest blues there is, seven shades of olive for those autumn landscapes, seven cool and seven warm grays, and the extra-black 496 Ivory black. Be warned that the 059 Brown and 141 Sky blue aren't very lightfast!

www.carandache.ch
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
seven shades of olive for those autumn landscapes,
www.carandache.ch

These are my favourite colours of that brand. I wonder if I should switch to luminance, tough...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

Maned Wolf, I have not tried any of the Caran d'Ache pencils but am very tempted by this thread. I will also look forward to hearing opinions on the difference between the pablos and the luminance.

BTW, how on earth do you pronounce Caran d'Ache?

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Gouda

Hails from Netherlands

Kaaran duh Ash

the third a and the fourth a are short, as in ahmerican. The duh is usually pronounced more quickly, sounding more like d'ash
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Caran d'Ache is a French transcription of the Russian word 'karandash', meaning 'pencil'. Caricaturist Emmanuel Poiré (1858-1909) used it as his pseudonym.

In 1924 Arnold Schweitzer (of Switzerland) founded a factory for manufacturing color pencils, and in tribute to the artist named it Caran d'Ache.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

Many thanks Sien and Maned Wolf!

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Florida, in a nice sunny spot

Hails from United States

I just wanted to add on to this thread:

I've been working on a piece with an extensive background. The Caran de' Ache Pablos have been holding up well (I start with one, then use a Prismacolor, and another Pablo) I have gone through two Prismacolor pencils, and am about to start the third, where I still have a third of the original Caran de' Ache Pablo pencil I started with.

What I've noticed is that the pigment is rich, the pencil is harder (yet creamy), and even the wood seems harder, where I notice extensive pencil shaving for the softer Prismacolor. So, even though the Pablos may be twice the price, the pencils last longer.