WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States
Weekly Scumble Sept 29 Thru Oct 5

Holy cow! Sept is almost over! I can't believe it! But it is a nice Monday morning, so welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the events of our everyday lives.

My second Lab had her litter Saturday night. There are 6 boys and 4 girls. Momma and babies doing fine, and are in the new puppy house! I could actually put an air mattress inside to rest on as spent the entire night birthing puppies.
Not too shabby.
So I now have 19 Lab puppies on the premises. Thank God, most of them are spoken for.

How was everyone's weekend?

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Scumble Sept 29 Thru Oct5

Aww that sounds fun, you must really like your Labs!

We have a new cat. I have had my cat Ari for eight years, he was six weeks old when I first got him. But a two year old tiny tortie approached my daughter as she was coming back from the store and explained to her that she is a House Cat and needs a House of her own.

Gemini is a sweetie and she loves everybody. She even lets my four year old granddaughter pet her, and she is the most patient feline I've ever met. We have to defend her because she won't claw the chlid even if being dragged by the leg or head like a stuffed animal. She's small and lovable and spayed, so we won't be getting kittens. But I think she's decided Sascha is her kitten.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

19 puppies at once!! WOW, now that's a lot of puppies. I just love babies!!

I'm a kitty person too Robert. We have 4 sweet little ones. My oldest is 18 and is still going strong and plays like a kitten every day.

Am off on vacation starting Wednesday a.m., so have a great week! We'll see you next Tuesday or so...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Yikes--19 pups! Have fun, Kate. Glad it's all paying off...

Kitten pictures always welcome, Robert!

I'm busy with my blog today, as well as planning things for the post-IAPS workshop I'm offering next year. I don't give too many workshops anymore so I'm out of practice, but the art studio that hosts my classes is helping me on this one. It seems so far in advance, but people are making their flight reservations in advance to lock in airfares, it seems, so we're trying to get it all nailed down. It'll be a small group and I'm sure it'll be fun! I'm hoping folks that come in from some far-flung places can join me! (I already have 3 signed up! )

I'm also doing an interview for The Artist's Mag with an artist from Australia. I wasn't familiar with his work but it's really wonderful--and pastels, too!

So I'm off an running this week...
Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Oh my gosh....19 puppies!!! I would just LOVE it!! I love dogs but don't have one. We have a cat also. She was Bruce's before I moved in. It's taken a long time to get past my evil, wicked step-mother status with her!! lol She was pretty much a wild cat from a litter that he helped remove from under someone's house just after hurricane Katrina, so of course, her name is....Kat!! She's a wild thing at times. I relate her to a little girl who's been raised by her father without a mother....lol Tomboy!! I've been trying to turn her into a little gentler version, but not with much luck. She just looks at me and blinks. lol As someone once told me, dogs come when you call them, cats take a message and get back to you....maybe!!! lol

Have a great vacation, Paula!

Christine

Christine Neidhofer
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Here she is! I cropped this just to the cat, the original photo showed most of my art corner with Gemini about in the middle. I love her markings. She's a sweetie and purrs if anyone touches her. She's 8 pounds, but very compact and looks like she's maybe all of about 4 pounds, with very tiny feet.

Now when I go upstairs for a bath or a shower, I have two furry lifeguards watching me brainlessly go in water and get wet. Both of them are still concerned that I might have lost my mind with all the water soaking. They know better than to get in the tub, but they sit nearby watching with worried looks on their little faces.

This is Ari Cat, my eight year old personal muse and devoted Siamese Samurai. He's much bigger than she is, he's 12 pounds of lean cat under much fluffy fur, and has huge paws. You can't see them in this photo, but he has pale long tufts between each of his toes on the underside of his feet. This means if he's on linoleum or wood, he gets no traction. One of his favorite games is to run at the kitchen as fast as he can on the carpeted living room floor, then skid on his fluffy feet and skate on the floor.

Anyone who'd like to use these photos for references, please do! Enjoy. I feel I ought to share to give something back for all the WC members who post such wonderful references in threads and in the Reference Library!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Scumble Sept 29 Thru Oct 5

19 puppies!!!! Only you, Kate! I bet they are real cute!!!!!

HAven't been around much...more family stuff going on. Just an unbelievable year for us but we are wading through it. Hubby's brother, who was 52 and living with their mother in Florida, got sick and died rather suddenly in August. WE had to go down and tend to things and have since brought her up to Maine to an assisted living near us. She is settling in but it's been crazy, to say the least. Anyhow...I finished a painting a week or so ago, right before we left to get her (second trip down to Miami during Hurricane season...not recommended) and have started another one. Plus I will be taking an encaustic painting workshop this weekend. So I am working on getting back to my art.

Sounds like everyone has been busy and is essentially okay here. I hope so at least!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Welcome, Robert! It's nice to have a new face here. Yes, we love our Labs. My husband hunts and we run hunt tests with them. Loads of fun.

Paula, have a great vacation!

Deborah, I know just how you feel. I am running as we speak!

Christy, Be careful, I may ship you one!

#9   Report Bad Post  
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Oohh...kitties were posted while I was posting...great photos!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Sandy, we crossed! Yeah, only me. But our pups are very popular, and I love raising them.

Robert, what cute kitties!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Idaho

Hails from United States

Pups, Kats, babies. We seem to all be mushes with animals and babies. They are such companions, though. Glad Iris is fixed and won't be presenting us with any pups. I took her for her walk today and she resisted my every attempt to speed her up for a "brisk" walk. However, she would go on a walk a dozen times a day if I took her, just don't ask her to walk any faster than her normal plod. Here she is parked where she always is if I am in the office.

I think I will join the 1-hour sketch challenge after I sign off of WetCanvas. Have a couple of oil plein airs to post over there in that forum and then, I'm anxious to get back to pastels for the day.

Deborah, I received my first magazine of the new subscription to Pastel Journal and have enjoyed it immensely. I start with the front cover and read over every page one-by-one all the way through to the back cover. Love it and am about 1/4 way through. Try to digest everything a little at a time.
Have a great week everybody.

My Website -http://heirloomsbyharriett.blogspot.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

19 puppies, goodness gracious. That is a lot of work. I used to breed German Shepherds and Pembroke Welsh Corgi's but never had so many all at once. Those days are long gone though, we are now pet free, love to watch the wild critters around our house.
Have a safe and wonderful vacation Paula.
Winny
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Love the kitty pix, Robert, and Harriett your Iris looks like quite a character!

Nice to see you here, Sandy--so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your m-i-l is happy in her new location. You all have had quite a time lately. Hang in there and get some easel time in!

After a day of going back and forth via e-mail with a lot of discussion and questions to iron out, I was AMAZED to find out that the art school that's going to host my two-day workshop after the IAPS convention next year will only be asking--get this--$75 per person!!! At first I was taken back, but after we 'talked', it makes such perfect sense to me. I guess my ego got in there for a minute...but in this economy where everyone is tightening their belts, this group wants people to be able to take workshops and classes to involve the community in gathering together and growing! Kewl, huh? It means accepting more students, but I have 20 at the moment and find it very energizing and fun to have so many different people in the classroom. I hope the folks who plan to come to IAPS can squeeze in a couple more days for the workshop. Sometimes when times are rough it's good to have a time and place set aside for pure entertainment and fun, I think! That's often what painting is for folks... so I think it's really neat that the school wants to do this.

I have a final critique this week and--foolish me--I've invited everyone to come to my house for it! Man, I need to start organizing the place NOW! I suddenly realize how small my living room is, and wonder how we'll seat 20 people (though not all will come, I suspect.) What was I thinking???

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

$75 for a 2 day workshop is a great deal...I can see where that would have thrown you at first, Deborah. But yyou are right that people need to be able to do these things and it is so hard right now.

I tried posting a painting yesterday but was unable to get it to work. I'm going to try again now. I assume it was a WC glitch...I havent' changed anything on my computer. I think I had a problem a few weeks ago but got it to work finally.
Oh well! The wonders of modern technology.

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Orange County, CA

I recently paid $75 for an upcoming pastel workshop, for only four hours! I feel like I am missing something! (Kidding. I'm not complaining at all, I can't wait for the workshop!)

19 puppies! WOW! My future dream includes owning a house with a decent-sized back yard (the dream is on hold while the economy topples... sigh), and my ultimate dream includes two labs: one black, and one white (yellow). My scaled-down dream is springer spaniels, as they are a bit smaller than labs (since my yard is not likely to be that huge, especially if we buy around here).

Lost of parentheses in that paragraph, but I don't feel like editing!

Last week was SO BUSY, culminating in a weekend where my in-laws visited, I helped to throw a baby shower, and last but definitely not least, my son was baptized. We also went to dinner for my birthday (which is tomorrow). I did not have any time for painting last week, which made me sad!

This week is already looking up. I got a little art time yesterday, will try to squeeze some in during the days through Thursday. Friday afternoon I am packing up and heading to a spa near Palm Springs. I'll bring my pastels, hopefully I'll be able to paint. I'll have the baby with me, and it'll be 100+ degrees outside, but if I can, I will!

Have a great week everyone!