WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM

how to transfer photos to glass/canvas/mylar

Hi,

I'm looking for a DIY way to transfer photos (black and white or color) to various surfaces, including glass, mylar, or canvas. I'm in this forum because I've used acetone or mint oil to transfer photocopies to wood for woodcuts, but that's as far as I know. The images don't come out very sharp or dark, though, so I'm looking for something better. Any ideas?

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: how to transfer photos to glass/canvas/mylar

Hello Patrick

There are two techniques that come to mind that might be applicable to image transfer the for surfaces you mention.
One of these is using acrylic gel medium

http://www.goldenpaints.com/artist/directransfer.php

the other is using a laser transfer paper or inkjet transfer paper
I believe the image is transferred using heat to bond onto a surface from the paper copy
http://www.themagictouchusa.com/

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

I've used Mod Podge to transfer photocopies to lino [paint it to the face of the photocopy, stick to lino, let dry, wet paper backing and rub off] where the glue holds the image [ink] but not the paper, it might be worth trying with a photo. The image will come off if you rub too hard when removing the backing paper.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks for these ideas. I'll give them a try.

At an art store yesterday, the clerk told me that there's a lithography technique for transferring photos, but she couldn't remember how. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks again.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Check out the youtube demo Howard Cowdrick (WC! member) posted regarding acrylic transfers.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Northern California

Hi Patrick,
I was recently introduced to a product called Sheer Heaven that apparently transfers to any surface. After some really frustrating attempts to transfer a decent image, I finally remembered this product that a friend introduced me to last month. I have not tried it, but she had transferred a photo onto paper and it looked like the original photo. I also found a Youtube video showing how it works. I'm going to order some and try it out for transferring to lino.

Check out these links
http://www.dotcalmvillage.net/cre8it/sheerheaven.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbuuIzCt1w

Good luck,
Diane
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I've had some success transferring to glass using an image printed onto an Apollo Inkjet 7031S transparency with my Epson C88 printer (durabrite, pigment based ink). I rolled hand sanitizer onto the glass and then placed the image face down and used a brayer to make good contact, waited a minute or two and then pulled up the transparency. (supposedly, you can also use Apollo Inkjet 7039 for image transfers.) The transferred image isn't perfect and it also isn't waterproof so it needs to be sprayed with a clear topcoat to seal it. I've tried this on handmade paper as well and it worked even better but that's as far as I've gotten with what I've tried it on. You can substitute acrylic gel medium for the hand sanitizer on paper (works great) but I didn't think it worked as well on glass. It would also probably work on wood or lino for getting an image transferred so it can but cut and used for printmaking.

A similar technique can be seen in a video by Bonnie Lhotka called, "Inkjet Transfer Techniques" available on Amazon. She used the technique in a completely different way and on a different surface but it worked for me as I've described.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 02:23 AM

Would any one know how or if it would be possible to do a photo transfer onto an oil painted canvas?

Thanks Shanna
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Be careful using gel medium to transfer onto glass. I use glass as a plate for acrylic monotypes and skins, specifically because it releases acrylic gel so well. I think you'd want to sandwich the gel between the glass and another layer to ensure it wouldn't peel off over time. Acrylic adheres quite well to a frosted mylar. (and gessoed canvas goes without saying of course )
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2009, 04:33 PM

The company I work for, Tilano Decorative, makes transfer products that will let you transfer to almost any surface - basically anything you can paint on, you can transfer to. It's a laser toner transfer, so basically you just need to get a laser print or photocopy of your image on to the Tilano paper and use liquid medium to transfer it to your surface.

If you like there are how-to videos on our website - tilano.net
Thanks!