WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Noobie Pipe Making Setup Suggestions?

OK so I am a noob when it comes to blowing glass, my fiance and I are both pretty artfully inclined and would love to start creating pipes and other glass pieces in our garage.
Usually before jumping into something I'll do my research, however with pipe making there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on the net. Maybe Im using the wrong term to search for it. I tried pipe Lampworking and also pipe glassblowing. So all the info I really have such far is for making beads/sculptures.

Anyways so I have been researching setups. As much using natural gas seems like a good idea I dont think it would be easy to route a gas line to my garage, so propane it is.
Now for oxygen would a concentrator/generator work? I am finding conflicting reports. I'd prefer not to be using tanks as I live next door to a police officer, not that I am doing anything illegal its just seeing bottles of gas going into my garage isn't exactly what I want my neighborhood in general seeing. (Very Nosey Neighbors)

Then comes the Torch/Tools I have no idea what todo here, I see people saying don't get the Minor Torch because it can't do larger pieces but how large is large? Id like to be able to make pipes and small bongs nothing huge though. I see kits all over the place and if its cheaper I'd prefer to purchase a kit, or even a full blown used setup anyone know where I can go to find them?

Sundanceartglass has a #420X kit that seems designed for creating pipes and has a Major Burner from Nortel with what looks like ALOT of accessories good deal? Yes No?

An annealer I'd assume I also will need, though some say I won't in the beginning? Suggestions? Again I am not going to be a factory pumping out pipes but I'd like room for more then 1 project in the thing.

I live in the Chicago south suburbs, where in hell do you find glass blowing supplies around here or in your local area in general? Doing a search throughout the whole chicagoland area I found 1 glassblowing place and all it was classes and torches available for use.

And lastly I any suggestions, comments, tips on things I missed or things I should look out for while getting this all setup?

Dennis
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
SE Massachusetts...exit 3 off 95s :D

Hails from United States
Re: Noobie Pipe Making Setup Suggestions?

Hey Dennis, welcome! I think I misunderstood something you said. You are concerned about tanked O2 or propane in your garage because you live next to a police officer? I think I got that part. However the idea of the officer next door strikes no fear in regards to making small pipes or small bongs....? No problem A lot of people here can give you ideas on your glass blowing adventures.

Duane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast
Salt Spring Island BC

Hails from Canada

You will probably have better luck getting glass pipe specific info at a glass pipe forum like glasspipe.org
good luck anyways.

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 PM
A Local Legend
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

I'm in Illinois too and order 99% of my supplies on line. There is Chicago Hot Glass which is a super cool hot shop that has classes and stuff that I've been eyeballing. There is also http://prodigyglassworks.net/contact.html

Sun Daisy Glass Website* My Etsy * Sun Daisy Glass on FB
"I am a happy person because I choose to be a happy person."
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Free Tommy Chong!

from his suburban lifestyle...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States

I think you can find good pipe info here: http://www.thegldg.com/forum/
Click Here to Visit RedHotBeads
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Knightdale, NC

Hails from United States

Kelly hit it right on the head!!!!!!!!!!!

The GLDG is the place for pipemakers. Carefull though they can be quite snooty with noobs!!!
My Etsy, My Ebay, Wavey Bead Tutorial.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 AM
MORRIS IL

Hails from United States

Hiya Dennis:
You might want to try a class or two about lampworkng first. You are looking at some real American money, and practice, practice, practice. Glass pipes are made with borosilicate glass, which is VERY hard glass, translation: need lots of heat. Best torch in my opinion is a GTT., with tanked oxygen. A LYNX is the smallest to do realistic boro work that I would use.
peace,
jim
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM

I too am learning this difficult art form in making tobacco pipes. I have a small cricket torch and oxy/gen with about 7 lpm flow I think. I works well for beads, implosions and pendants but any larger diameter tubing will have your arms aching from turning the tube for an hour. Im starting with small spoon pipes and focusing on learning techniques making smaller items. here's a tip, get a good kiln, you can make several small pieces and heat them in the kiln then fuse em together for a larger piece. My torch just isnt hot enough to keep a larger piece from cracking, and pulling points is near impossible without getting really thin walls. The pic is a slider pipestem I made for a matching bubbler which is in progress. To make these, get some 10mm I think it is, 3/8"? heavy wall tubing and flame smoothe the end, make some cane or stringers of color and wrap the end of the tube about 3/4" down, heat slowly and evenly. Make sure you watch where the cane ends and the tubing begins, this area I do last hanging down to let gravity pull and narrow the tube at this point. I use a triangle shaped piece of copper in my vicegrips to ream out the bowl shape. Also using a metal rod, I kind of whirlpool the bowl to make it even and centered with hole in bottom. This shaping takes a lil practice as does getting the tube narrowed at the base of the bowl. Anyway, Im a newbie too and someone here probably does these in their sleep....enjoy

Last edited by Cataclysm : 04-25-2009 at 10:43 PM.