WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
New Studio Space

Hello everyone,

X posted in Palette talk (watercolours)

Just spent the last week sorting out my new studio. It is small ~ not much more than 6x8 feet, with a cottage window on one wall, a radiator on the other and a door on the other. As it is a really ancient house it is not possible to attach built-in bookcases or shelves, so finally after a lot of procrastinating, I opted for some small (the staircase is tiny too) freestanding locally made pine furniture.

I had a good clear out while unpacking my boxes from the States, and got rid of three large black trash bags of failed paintings, dried up art supplies, broken pastels, and any thing that had cockled or leaked …..having been packed and in storage for the past eight months and shipped from the USA to the UK.

My drafting table, and wooden easels I left in America along with my printer, scanner and electrical goods such as my wonderful floor standing daylight lamp!

It is going to be a challenge working in a small space, as I had the luxury of a large, spacious, airy studio in Florida.

As I like to switch between wet media and dry media, it is important for me to have at least two (or three) dedicated areas to move between, where my pastels, watercolours/gouache and oil paints can be left out all the time.

I guess it helps that I am short and petite, but I think I am going to have to be very tidy and organized in my new space.

Please feel free to post pics of your own studio spaces. …especially small spaces and ideas for space saving and working in small areas.

I bought a new daylight desk lamp with a swing arm....

Combined with a folding metal easel, I use this desktop for watercolor painting....

Another section for oil painting. My plein air (Soltek) easel folds to use on a desk top. This is enough oil painting space as I work quite small....

On the right hand side by the window I have another plein air pastel box easel (Openbox M) which will work flat on a table top if you unscrew the tripod fitting. This is a well designed easel for indoor and outdoor use. It holds a box of 72 Unison pastels very well, and comes with a metal lip/tray which catches pastel dust.... The storage desk it sits on is the right height for me to stand and paint.....

Behind the door is a handy notice board and hooks to hang my sample mats/mounts I use to check paintings in progress...

Paintings matted ready for framing. I will bag these to store them until I take them to the framers or buy frames. I have another closet in a different room to store these finished paintings in ....away from wet media and pastel dust.....

Maggie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States
Re: New Studio Space

Nice space! Looks like you have wonderful light in there also!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Wow Maggie! It looks like you use every inch of space in your studio. I am not that well organized. My studio is as neat as my teenage daughter's bedroom. That is bad. Have fun in your new space.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi Maggie,

Well, it does seem quite organized and with a reasonable lighting.
Say, was it you or one of your sisters who painted a red bird ? A cardinal ?
I guess it was in watercolour, but I'm not sure ?

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Maggie,
I am not an established artist, just a budding one. I have an 8x10 room where all of my artistic and writing pursuits take place. Being it is so small I have to be organized. I thought that sharing these pictures may spark an idea. Someday I hope to have a proper studio with nice equipment, but for now, this little room has brought me many hours of joy.

Using a french easel on top of my drawing table allows me to do pastels (the easel can be set to lean forward), and stow it away when I need the table. The window is north facing, so by setting the room up this way, I have north light on the easel and table when I work. I am right handed and this keeps the shadow from falling across my work.

I love my corner desk! Everything is within arms reach, and the sliding board that is meant for a computer keyboard holds my pallete when working there.

These next three shots are ways I organize supplies. The first is a cooking utensil lazy susan and holds my pens, pencils, etc. The second is another lazy susan that I found at Walmart, and the third is just various cups and pottery that holds painting equipment.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Linn: Yes, even though it is a small room it does have good light. Need the small table daylight lamp for early morning or evening work though.

Doug…it’s just me…the neatness thing…if I’m not organised and everything in order then I can’t paint. In fact when I have painting blocks, I generally spend a few days sorting out my studio and re-grouping, and then I can create again. Each to their own…..eh…..

Jose: no, not me or any one I know of in my family. There are a family of Latham’s (not related) who participate in WC who paint miniatures and wonderful wildlife art. Bet it was one of them My internet has been down while we moved, so I have not been keeping up to date with who’s painting what.

Blooming: great photos, thanks for sharing. You too have a lot in a small space. I particularly like your lazy susan idea. I used to have a large studio with a large drafting table, wooden floor easels etc…..but have discovered that as both a budding artist and selling artist, I just don’t need all that STUFF around me to help me to create. fancy art equipememnt looks good, but (for me anyhow) not necessary. Your room looks well loved …I too know my little room will bring me hours of joy. Keep painting!

Maggie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I need some help with studio lighting. Where would be the best place on Wet Canvas to pose the question as to what type of bulb I should get for gallery shows? I'm putting up fluorescent tubes for working (someone suggested I mix day light and, I think,, warm light (vs cool) tubes), but I'm hanging track down from the ceiling (pitched 45 degree ceiling; top of garage) around with some small cans for shows. I am planning on using these little halogen bulbs in the cans (Par-20 130 V, 50 watt). I think halogen would provide the right light for gallery shows, which are at night. My electrician wants me to use fluorescent bulbs because they won't get as hot. I am confused. Any ideas? This is my first studio after 35 years in a garage.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365473

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5657889

the latter is what i use and find it works super. you can also do a search in the bar in the upper area of this page.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

]
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi again,

Yes, you're right.
They're related to wildlife art. At least one is.
Thanks.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.