WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Dallas, TX

Hails from United States
Iris in Interactive Acrylics

Did this painting a few days ago in a little 7x10 sketchbook trying out how these paints work. I coated the paper with the Binder medium before starting. Even so the paints dried fast enough I only noticed a small difference between them and standard acrylics. Misting helped a bit but I was having to stop to do it every 3 - 4 minutes.

The addition of Slow Medium (aka retarder) slowed their drying time similarly to my routine of conventional acrylics and retarder. I didn't notice any difference between Interactives + Slow Medium and conventional acrylics + retarder. I'm still trying to work out if there's a better ratio of retarder to Interactives that will extend their wet time to the same extent as Golden Open.

I used the unlocking formula too and I admit it was fun being able to go back and rework an area. However, I am not completely comfortable with the idea. I worry about the use of any alcohol based solvent on acrylics. I have concerns that it weakens the paint binder and compromises it's longer term archival abilities.

Of course I'm sure Interactives fast drying even with slow medium (same with standard acrylics) is because I live in a part of the country where the average daily temps around this time of year is usually 98 - 101 F. (36.6 - 38.3 Celsius)

I gave up trying to blend them wet-in-wet oil painting style and just treated them like my standard acrylics. It may be at cooler times of the year I'll see a noticeable improvement in their open time and blendability. I'm sure atmospheric conditions plus the kind of surface used have a big effect on how any acrylic behaves.

Side note:

So far, of the two new kinds of acrylics I've tried (both of which I like and enjoy) I prefer Golden Opens. They stay wet for a long time even in the heat and blend more like oil paints. All without needing to use retarder - which is necessary for my style of painting with both Interactives and standard acrylics.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Iris in Interactive Acrylics

Very nice and interesting work, I do love the background, one of my favorite colors!!

Check out my blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

I like your little study. How did you paint up into the coils without mucking up the coils?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Interactives. I've been reading posts that discuss the pros and cons of Golden Open and Interactives.

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

I also love the background - nice textures there. Thanks for sharing.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I like your Iris, you made it work despite your frustrations. My account of experiences with these 2 paints is about the same as yours and at this time I prefer Opens too.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United Kingdom

It's still a lovely painting despite your struggles. I found interactives behaved similar too. They dry quite fast so to blend and work into other colours requires some scrubbing. This might work ok for some but I prefer to pick my strokes and blend wet in wet after some reflection time. If you start scrubbing into the tacky or drying interactives you lose your brush marks and can end up with a fussy blend.

I do still like the paints and the scrubbing can be handy in some areas. I was hoping that the paints would stay wet longer with slow medium though.

Last edited by Adriantmax : 08-27-2008 at 06:54 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Nice go at a difficult subject! I share your frustration with those fast drying times. Even spraying my palette every few minutes didn't keep my mixes workable on the palette and I had to keep remixing all my colors. I guess I'm just used to the longer working time of oils, and being able to use the same mixes from beginning to end. I too prefer Golden OPEN for that reason.

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Dallas, TX

Hails from United States

It occurred to me it might be interesting to post pics of the blending results I get with Interactives + Slow Medium in the kind of heat that's around here.

That way someone who also lives in hot climes might get an idea of the results they can get under similar conditions.

I'll look into posting some pics tomorrow.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
bronx, ny

Hails from United States

I do not have any experience with interactives so I can't comment on this part....but the iris looks really beautiful and soft/delicate
Soni