WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 AM

Directions for using Gum Arabic

Can someone please provide instructions for using Gum Arabic? I purchased some a few days ago because I had read that it increases brilliance, gloss and transparency of water colours but there were no instructions on how to use it and I haven't been able to find any on the internet!! What I need to know is how much to use. Is there a formula or are there general guide lines for using this stuff? By-the-way, does it work? As always thanks so much.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Directions for using Gum Arabic

A few drops in your mixing water is said to enhance the colours and fluidity of your washes. Don't overdo it though as you will get a nasty glossy or streaky effect.

I just did a Google Advanced serach and found several articles including THIS ONE.

Doug

Last edited by Yorky : 08-20-2008 at 03:44 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Directions for using Gum Arabic?

1. Play
2. Experiment

Then tell us how and what you did.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Herts. England

Hails from England

Winsor & Newton recommend making up a solution of 10% gum arabic 90% water and use this with your colours as you would water alone.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on

Regards
Tony
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Louisville, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I pour a capful of gum arabic into a liter or so of water. It does really make a difference, especially with the really dark mixes and the multiple glazes.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Bemidji, MN

Hails from United States

I know, it's hard not to have an exact starting point. I'm a very literal person and just go nuts with being told "just use 'some'!"

Does it work? Yes. But, I was remembering when I first started using it that I didn't notice any difference at all - I put a few drops in my mixing water. I was just getting really into watercolors.
Now, when I look at my paintings from then, I can tell exactly which I used it with - well, the ones that I probably used quite a bit with - they're so much shinier.

I like to have a few drops in my mixing water all the time now. When I paint, I like to make a puddle of water in the space I'm working on (say a petal of a flower) and then float paint into it. I find that when I put Gum Arabic in the water, that puddle stays exactly where it's supposed to much easier - it doesn't seep out once it sinks into paper. I also get harder edges with it - sometimes a good thing, sometimes not.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

You can also mix a dilute solution with your tube paint when you are making your puddles, it helps colors lift a bit easier. Doug is right, too much gum arabic is not a good thing. Colors will bronze much faster with too much GA.

It can also be used as masking of a sort. See my Dahlia WIP, post #62 for details.
***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** http://www.lauradicus.com