WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States
Derwent Signature pencils

I ordered a slew of these on clearance at dickblick yesterday. Price was good, but after I ordered I looked for info on them (I should have looked before I ordered ) and only found negative things about them. Are they really that bad?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Gouda

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Derwent Signature pencils

I don't know, what did you find? I have them too, from ebay (because theyre almost gone everywhere). They're a little hard, like Derwent is known for (except for their Drawing and Coloursoft line), but I personally like them a lot.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

I don't think they're all that bad. I think in the past some people didn't like them because they are harder than the softer type pencils like Prisma's... but if you enjoy hard or sanded surfaces (like me), harder pencils work wonderfully. That's why I enjoy Pablo's because they go down really well on rougher & harder surfaces. On Stonehenge they would feel slightly different than the way softer pencils go down.

From what I understand... and just confirmed with a search... Derwent Signature line has been discontinued, that is why they are on clearance.

I don't think you made a bad purchase... even if you run out of a color and can't order another exactly the same, you'll probably be able to find a similar color match with a different brand. The more you use colored pencils - the easier it'll be to recognize your colors and mix and match brands.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

Well, I feel better about this now! Thanks!

I could only find a few things about them, but one person hated them and was giving them away, another hated them and was giving them to her kids, you get the drift. The only specific things they said about them that made them unlikeable were about the hardness and the blendability (which surprisingly enough I found conflicting information about!). I found only one positive comment about them in about 5 pages worth of a search, so, I was starting to worry.

I do like to play around with different surfaces, so it's nice to know that they work well for that. I wanted something that was different from the Prismas I have but didn't want to spend a ton of money and at $.79 a pencil, I just couldn't resist. Glad you both have positive experiences with them!

Flame Lily - I'm in N. Texas, too! The rain and cooler weather is nice for a change!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hails from United States

Sounds like you got a good deal, Peanut Butter!

I use Derwent pencils and have always enjoyed in particular their sketching watercolor wash pencils. They let me build up values more organically than when I use markers in many situations.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz204/04/ <- Good deal. I needed to buy some in a hurry before, and they were $1 more than this.