WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Bruno, a Tacugama chimp, pastel WIP

This is Bruno. From Tacugama's website

Quote:
As well as being the founding chimp of the sanctuary, Bruno is also a local celebrity and the former alpha male of our original group of chimps at Tacugama. Bruno is forcefully charismatic, spectacularly imposing and physically the strongest chimpanzee at the Sanctuary.

Bruno has gained a world-class notoriety for throwing stones in the defense of his territory. When in the mood, Bruno is capable of imitating several traditionally human-like characteristics such as tongue rolling and twisting, ‘flying kisses’, and even laughter.

When Bala Amarasekaran and his wife Sharmila first saw Bruno he was a few months old, and very weak. They paid $30 for him, (certain that if they had not he would have soon died), and named him Bruno - after Frank Bruno, the British heavyweight boxer who was fighting Mike Tyson that very day!

For a year he lived in Bala and Sharmila's house, without a cage, and got into plenty of mischief. When they rescued a second chimp, Julie, Bala erected a cage for them in the garden. When the sanctuary was built, Bruno had to remain in a cage, as he was too large to go on the daily forest walks with the younger chimps. It wasn't until the electric fenced enclosures were built in 1998 that Bruno was able to taste the freedom of the forest.

Bruno is now 21 years old and is a large, powerful chimp. While he is no longer with us at the Sanctuary we do hope he returns soon. He is wary of visitors and is painfully accurate at hurling rocks and stones at anyone he doesn't like the look of. We all miss his spectacular and impressive displays. However, to those who know him, he is an extremely affectionate and cheeky character. He keeps his group in order whenever things get out of hand (usually at feeding time) and is gentle and protective over the young ones.

So, this is a full sheet of green colourfix, 470 x 670, or in English lol 18.5" x 26.5". He's pretty shaggy haired and the light is catching it beautifully.

This is where I'm at so far. Ignore the vivid brown eyes. That's an undercoat and I'm just locating them. They won't be remotely like that at the end.

I can't get the contrast right on the photo. It's too contrasty at the top and not enough at the bottom so the stump he's on looks washed out. It's actually like this

A bit of a WIP on the fur. I'm only using soft sticks on the fur. No pencils which is out of my comfort zone but I want to try, especially since it's large. First a bit of black and brown and very pale blue just to get the feel for it and work out what I'm going to do

Then I decided to go strong on the black as an undercoat and add the pale blue (comes out white in the photo)

Now I added some Art Spectrum Caput Mortum, a bit of blue to show sky reflection and white for highlight. Sorry, out of focus

He looks quite unreal with his shaggy hair reflecting like this, but it is also stunning, so I hope I can capture it.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Resting in Peace
Darlington Co/Durham

Hails from England
Re: Bruno, a Tacugama chimp, pastel WIP

Catching some great light already in this one Patrick,look forward to your next update.

Best from mike.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

I am SO GLAD I let you do this one mate! That background is perfect. Can't wait to see this progress...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

This is already turning out to be another winner. The background is perfect.
Lend your ear to music, open your eyes to painting, and… stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to “walk about” into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want? -KANDINSKY, 1910-
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
The Land of Horses and Buggies

Hails from United States

Hi Patrick...
This is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see this progress.
Blessings,
Jyvonne

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Many thanks guys Bruno's so interesting and I'm really enjoying this one. This is where I'm at. Photo taken in a dark room, at night, with the lights off So not quite accurate. I'll get a good one when it's all done

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Resting in Peace
Darlington Co/Durham

Hails from England

Very nice colour variation in the fur Patrick,looking good.

Best from mike.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Arlington,Texas

Hails from United States

Looking terrific already Patrick!!! I'll be waiting for an update!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Love the BG! Another great piece of work in the making, can't wait to see more......
Goby
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States

This is fabulous, Love the WIP thanx!
I often wondered how you keep your pastels so sharp for such thin lines.
Been a while since I even had mine out, which are so old.. passed down from my sister.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Many thanks

This is a closer upper of the head and shoulders. It's just about all with softsticks, mostly Art Spectrum and Rembrandts. The eye's were done with pencils though

Still got the hands and feet to do - urgh!! Hardest thing is I'm working from a reference that's 375 x 478 pixels so I have to make some of it up

I love him - he's so shaggy Would love a cuddle by him lol

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 08-01-2008 at 10:25 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Resting in Peace
Darlington Co/Durham

Hails from England

Really like that fur Patrick,look forward to seeing this one finished.

Best from mike.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks Mike

Ok, given that the reference (awesome one supplied by Tacugama) is smaller than the picture of my update you see here on your screen

I'm really battling to get this enlarged to a full sheet of colourfix because I simply can't see much of the detail in the hands and feet. Here's me with it to show scale (no bigger than many people work, but given the reference, I think I'm mad)

Anyway, I've still got more work to do on the coat too. There's more of a graduation from the darks to the lights than I've got here, so that's what I'll be working on next.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

WOW! He's looking SO good. The hands and feet are perfect, I'd probably just put some finer wrinkles around his jowls to nail it. I can't wait to hear what the Sanctuary has to say about this piece...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM
WC! Guide
TN

Hails from United States

Oh mygoodness this is so beautiful! I love that fur!!!
Jody