WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States
Need Help with Still Life

I've been working on this one for two days and it's finished but it doesn't seem right, no oomph, I like the bread but I think the values are wrong with the other parts of the painting and frankly I'm too close to the forest to see the trees. I changed the breadboard from white to pale green it did help some but???? It's acrylic 8 x 10
Your help and suggestions very much apprciated.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
WestHartford, CT

Hails from United States
Re: Need Help with Still Life

What about really lightening up the knife blade to kind of balance the light cut side of the bread?

Steve
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

I've tried that but is seems to make the knife washed out and I'm trying to show stainless. Maybe the board is too light?

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, GA Eastern Suburbs

Hails from United States

I think your perspective for the bread is different than the bread board. I don't know exactly how to explain what I am seeing. Even though they are still life objects, perspective and vanishing points and a horizon line still apply. Maybe it is that the line the vanishing point is on for the bread is higher than the one for the board.

It's All In The Shadows!!!! Mickey W ...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:18 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Mickey I think it was the way I set up the still life, the bread board was on an angle and the bread was angled across the left hand upper corner. But, thanks for telling me about the perspective, something I always struggle with.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
WestHartford, CT

Hails from United States

I think you need to keep contrast between the board and the background. What about extending the reflection of the bread across more of the blade?

Steve
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Pretty darned good but something kept bothering me. As hard as I tried I could not keep my eye from being pulled to the background. Too dark it seems witha slightly lighter patch just right of the bread. The mottled background is the right idea but I feel it needs to be smoother and just a few values darker than the main subjects and a tad darker around the corners to frame the central subjects of interest.

C&C Always welcome
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from France

my concern is about perspective too !IMO you have to do a smaller angle on the plate (bottom left)
clem
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States
Suggestions

Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

So you're saying i should change the position of the knife, the shadow and change the background color and fixe the perspective? I must say, what you've shown me is far better than my picture! I like the knife coming into it from that angle. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND ALL OF THE OTHERS WHO GAVE THEIR ADVICE AS WELL.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Yes Purple, you do need to check your perspective to make sure you have only one eye level - I did a little drawing earlier but couldn't upload it, sorry - but at present you have two eye levels in this!

Making two separate planes is a good idea too - a horizontal surface and a vertical one - this would allow you to create more sense of depth and give more area for the play of light and shadow.

Notice how Bob re-directs the eye with the change of position of the knife?
It brings the viewer into the picture from another angle and creates interest on the right - something to try to do with any composition. .... and giving the piece a definite light angle so you can contrast the tones more creates much more interest.

Some good painting already here - but I think you'll be happier with it when you make the 'corrections'

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Paintings are two dimensional designs made up of shapes, values, colors, lines, etc. The design may or may not suggest objects. Either way it must work as a two dimensional design. All the detail, rendering and realism can not compensate for a poor design. Many good paintings have some sort of visual lead in. Light can be used to organize a still life or a landscape. The shadow shape is as important as the bread shape or the knife shape. The dark band at the top was added to counter that empty feeling up there. What if ________ (fill in your current favorite artist) handed you a sketch and all you had to do was paint it? Would your art improve? Next time spend three quarters of your time working up a series of black and white sketches and one quarter actually painting the best one. Good luck!
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm