WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Immortalized
Pune, India

Hails from India
How to store Pencil sketches and drwaings?

Hi
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this query, but could not locate any other place for it. So, here goes...
I do pencil sketching and drawing on paper. However, I have a tough time trying to figre out how to preserve them, as all of them cannot be framed. I have laminated some of my earlier work, but am not sure if thats the best way to store them. The smudging related to the pencil work makes it tricky to store it. Any helpful suggestions on this would go a long way. Thanks.
Sandeep
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Resting in Peace
Fayetteville, NC

Hails from United States
Re: How to store Pencil sketches and drwaings?

Hi Sandeep, and welcome to D&S. Storing pencil drawings is always a concern of the artist. In my case I spray the finished drawing with an
acrylic based spray called "Krylon crystal Clear". This gives the drawings a durable finish that resists smugging and does not yellow. I then store them in a flat file under my bed. One word of caution, this spray although made for this purpose will darken your drawings slightly so use caution . This is not a problem for me because I my drawings tend to be dark anyhow. So, try it out first before spraying your best works.

Jim
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Well, I do a lot of pencil drawing, and I use a spray fixative. (Grumbacher, Tuffilm Final Fixative, matte finish for Pastel, Charcoal, and Pencil) On the can, it warns of darkening the drawing slightly once sprayed, but I find that the change is very slight, and I really don't see a difference. I spray every finished work with this fixative.
Also, a friend once gave me a scrapbooking starter kit. Well, scrapbooking was not something I enjoyed, so I used the scrapbook, with it's clear plastic sleeves, to preserve my drawings. I don't know what size your drawings are, but this scrapbook has worked very well because most of my drawings are 8x10 or smaller.
I hope this helps! Good luck in preserving those drawings!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Suffolk countryside, UK

Hails from England

Sandeep...Welcome to D&S!

Have you checked out the Learning Centre yet?
It is full of answers to drawing questions! One or two specifically on drawing! Try them!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels &
Still Life
Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Bklyn,New York

Hails from United States

Years ago I had the same problems with my darwings till somebody introduced to fixative.Draw big pictures and smug all the time.Only problem I have is store them in a safe place.My drawings are 11x17...............
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Burlington, IA.

Hails from United States

Hi Blink,
I store my drawings by first spraying them with fixative and then putting them in to a very large spiral bound sketch book. Like it was a scrapbook. I use photo corners so they won't fall out. Then store it laying flat like a large coffee table book. As I continue to create more art work I will have more scrapbooks to fill. I make sure that I use archival papers in everything I do and also in the scrapbooks I store them in.
Paula
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Immortalized
Pune, India

Hails from India

Thanks everyone, for welcoming me to D&S and also for your suggestions. What is pretty clear is the use of a fixative is the prefered approach.

Would storing these sketches in transparent plastic sheets be okay?

Sandeep
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 AM
A Local Legend
Poitou-Charentes

Hails from France

Two words of advice - it's better not to use a cheap fixative if you can afford it, and also, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. If you can, spray outdoors, because the stuff is quite nasty.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Immortalized
Pune, India

Hails from India

Thanks for the inputs.
Sandeep
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Enthusiast
Boyup Brook, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

To prevent deterioration to the paper and artwork, anything they come in contact with must be acid free, that is why scrapbooking supplies are good because they are generally acid free.

You can also buy proper art portfolio's in different sizes (fabric ones that zip up or just regular cardboard ones) that have the rings like an office file, you can purchase the plastic sleeves from the artshop to fit the various sizes. But generally scrapbooking craft supplies will be cheaper.

Spray with fixative before putting in the plastic sleeves, otherwise the graphite may stick to the plastic and 'ghost' on your artwork over time.

Michelle

Website/Blog
Facebook Page
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Immortalized
Pune, India

Hails from India

Hi Michelle
Thanks a lot. I do use portfolio with the plastic sheets you mentioned for my watercolor paintings. Now have to hunt for a decent fixative that is available here locally.
Sandeep