WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Clay
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 AM

DAS Air Dry clay/ Clay In General

hello everyone!

So i accidentally stumbled upon DAS air dry clay. I was wondering. Where do you guys keep your clay after working with it to keep it fresh? Any special or recommended place in particular?

Whats the pros n cons of working with air dry n other types of clays? One that i can see that is a bit frustrating is that while im working with it, it has a tendancy to harden up very quickly n either make it difficult to continue being detailed with what im working on or begin cracking a bit. is there a way around that?

Whats the best type of clay to do detailed work with or does that have to do with the artist? Im just curious cuz i'de like to learn the best way to work with this kind of clay or find a clay that i have full flexibility with n can spend time on n not have to rush...

Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Re: DAS Air Dry clay/ Clay In General

I work with air-dry clay that I make liquid so I can brush it into a crack.It dries fast when you work with your fingers,wet it a bit when it becomes hard.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 AM

Right but doesnt water take away from it's form n make it worse in the end? It takes away that rubbery soft feelin where you can really manipulate it to your liking...
Hmm..
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Some hints about airdry-clay;

Water and hand lotion will help keep the clay from drying.

It is helpful to have plastic wrap on hand to cover parts and prevent the clay from drying.

A bowl of water or spray bottle will help to keep the clay moist.

Also visiting the site of la doll is interesting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks much on those tips. The hand lotion bit sounds genious

N good thought on having a cover around when needing to get back to something.
Preciate the feedback.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 PM

A few tips:

-If you want to pause and resume your work later, wet a piece of paper towel, wrap it around the piece and then wrap a plastic bag, as tightly as you can, around the covered piece and keep it somehwre shady and cool.

-Use wet paper towel to cover pieces of clay you're not working on just yet - say you're working on the head of a figure, cover the body with a wet paper towel while you're working on the head to prevent it from hardening.

-If you want more detail, try working bigger. That's one way to help you make it easier, as the smaller you work, the more fragile the clay gets...

-If you want to make a two legged figure, or something which requires small flat surfaces, before careful and make sure the peice stands on its own while it's wet. I've tried laying a piece down on its back to dry, the feet began changing shape as it shrunk, and you may end up with a slightly wobbly character, that rocks back and forth on its feet.

Hope that helps!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I notice that the link I provided earlier not works.The link again;

la doll
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 AM

Thanks for the great tips working with dry-hard clay. I'm looking for ways to create 'angel wings' for my daughter to wear as a pendant (in rememberance for the loss of her husband, 37 yrs old, they have 3 small children, almost a year ago). We are going to celebrate the day 'he got his wings'. Have any of you made something that fragile? Do I need wire armitures? Can I use Min-wax polymer sealer on the finished product?