WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Can you gesso over old dried oil painting?

Hi, have lots of old paintings I don't care much for anymore. I learned on them, not much good for anything now and could be better put to use by re-using. Was going to restretch with new canvas, but thought it would be easier to gesso over the old painting and start with a white canvas again. Some texture comes through, but no biggie as most of my paintings are very painterly and often painted with a palette knife, anyway.

Worried about peeling or some other awful thing I don't want to find out the hard way. Anyone knof if this can be done?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Can you gesso over old dried oil painting?

Hi Joetta,
I know some people do this but if I were you I would only use canvases gessoed over oil for practice work. I'm afraid they wouldn't be archival at all and possibly the new paint would lift after a time. Even so I would sand the dried oil well before adding the gesso. If you are wanting to re-use them for better paintings you might want to sand them well and then give them a coat of titanium white or unbleached titanium in oil color. Why not post your query over in the oils forum and see if you can get some feedback there?

My Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

I was curious so I did some looking online.

A few people recommended sanding before using gesso, and said you can use a power sander, but you have to be careful you don't destroy the canvas.

Several people recommended removing the old painting by spraying it with oven cleaner:
After approximately 20 minutes remove the oven cleaner with paper towels. Then go over it with dampened paper towels. After the canvas is dry coat it with white gesso.

Others recommended using using turpentine or paint thinner:
Do this outside away from any sources of flame, EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE FUMES.
Either fill a spray bottle with turpentine/paint thinner, or use an old brush. Lay the canvas flat and cover the paint heavily with the thinner. -If doing more than one canvas stack them criss cross.
Cover loosely with plastic.
After most of the thinner is absorbed, reapply until the paint gets soft enough to wipe off with a cloth.
You can scrape the paint off using a putty knife or wipe it off with many rags.
Dry the rags (if used) outdoors and then dispose of them. Do not throw them away wet, as they might spontaneously combust.

Hope this helps.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Finished reading this thread and an idea popped into my head. Rather than all that mess and bother, undo the staples, flip it over and restretch. Presto! Brand new canvas to gesso. And it's impervious to water on the back side as well.
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

Well, you'll always have to sand lightly to get a better adhesion.
But you should not use acrylic primer (I don't like saying gesso).
Paint with a foundation white or titanium as mentioned before.
Or a lead based white that you may have (it goes without saying that lead is toxic).
I guess that you could use an oil based primer, but I'm not sure.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-art
Finished reading this thread and an idea popped into my head. Rather than all that mess and bother, undo the staples, flip it over and restretch. Presto! Brand new canvas to gesso. And it's impervious to water on the back side as well.
It is a good idea and I'll try it one day.

So far I have not stretched my own canvas. I am all right with the stapling, in a proper sequence. For stretching, perhaps I'd need to get myself a canvas stretching pliers.

Last edited by Merlion : 06-27-2008 at 09:35 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkick
A few people recommended sanding before using gesso, and said you can use a power sander, but you have to be careful you don't destroy the canvas.
I understanding sanding is necessary over the old painting to get it smooth. But I think manual sanding, not power sanding.

By the way, shouldn't this thread come under 'Oil Painting', and not 'Cafe Guerbois'.

Last edited by Merlion : 06-27-2008 at 09:44 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Ouachita Mountains

Hails from United States

One of the members of the art gallery that I am a member of just loves to paint over old oil paintings. He paints directly on them - even lets parts of them poke through. Hey, he swears by it.

http://artistlp.com/