WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2002, 05:04 PM
TX

Hails from United States
watercolor wash over ink

Hi, all, this may be a basic question, but I checked the archives and couldn't find an answer. I'm using black India Ink (Higgins) with a dip pen and brush, and having a devil of a time with it running when a watercolor wash is applied over it. I let it dry completely, and the wash is applied gently (no scrubbing here, just dragging a soft brush loaded with water and pigment). I thought that permenant India Ink was, well, permenant once it dried and lent itself to water color washes. Could it be the brand of ink I'm using? Or the paper, perhaps? Is this just a fact o' life? Am I doomed to lay my washes down first, then ink over them?

Thanks!

~angela
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2002, 05:18 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Welcome to WetCanvas! I hope you won't be defeated much longer; someone who knows the answer to your question is sure to come along sooner rather than later!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Lancaster, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
Greetings and Welcome to WC. Higgins Ink is not waterproof which means it will, unfortunately run when ou wash ovr it. Speedball makes a waterproof ink but it gets really thick and sticky after it's been left open for any length of time. I'm sure there are other brands but that is the only one I know of.

Again...Welcome and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2002, 09:46 PM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up

Permantent ink does not mean it's water proof. Even some water proof inks may still run after a wash. It's good practice to do a test strip on an area of your paper before you start your wash. There quite a few inks out there that will let you do a watercolor wash over your ink. The "Koh I Noor" brand, "Universal Black India" ink is one that holds up well for watercolor washes. It is free flowing, fast drying, and withstands vigorous brushing. Hope this has helped. Try this ink and let us know how it goes for you. Looking forward to seeing some of your art works in this forum
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2002, 03:54 AM
TX

Hails from United States
Thanks, everyone! I'll give a couple of other brands a try and see if they hold up better. I actually do have a scrap of paper that I was using as a test ground for color and pen strokes when I was working on this particular piece, so I pulled it out and tried to do a post mortem on it. Interestingly enough, it looks like the test ink lines smeared more with particular colors - one line has a stripe of blue and a stripe of yellow swiped over it, and the ink smeared terribly into the where the yellow stroke goes over the line, but the line under the blue stroke is perfectly sharp and clear. Velly interesting...I should probably pay more attention to what's going on with my test paper when I'm the throes of creation Anyway, I'll scoop up some of the recommended brands and give 'em a try, thanks again!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2002, 04:34 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines
Higgins makes a brand called Black Magic, which is permanent and won't run when you apply watercolor over it, here's what it looks like...
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 AM

Re: watercolor wash over ink

i recently ran into the same problem...i used a pilot precise v5 pen...nothing special...and did two tests...sprayed some cheapo white rain hairspray over it...3 very light coats and then watercolored...no runs! i also pulled some pigment over the ink with no watercolor and it did bleed a little...i was pretty rough putting the pigment on both of the ink spots...the white rain also doesnt seem to compromise the way the watercolor turns out either...hooray! anyway, just thought id share
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Wyoming

Hails from United States

I actually like doing the wash first. I make a comprehensive drawing first in pencil, then apply the watercolors, and finishing with the ink lines. Gives a completely different character to the drawing!

My website
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Hmm, I will add a couple of comments when I am doing line work for something I will be adding watercolor to I usually use my Technical pens they use Rapdograph Ultradraw ink, which is made for the pens. This ink doesn't run if I allow it to dry approx 24 hours. I have also used Micron Pens for this purpose with no running, with the microns I usually let it dry for at least 12 hours.

The other ink I use for my dip pens is DR Ph Martin's Bombay Black India Ink. But I am trying remember if I have used this under watercolor and right now I can't recall, guess I should do a test and let folks know how well it works. It is a waterproof India ink so I expect it will be good as long as I let it dry long enough prior to wetting.

As for using cheap hairspray, it may work short term, but I wouldn't use it on my artwork - I have no clue what its archival qualities are, certainly the mfg has never tested the product for the use you are putting it to. I would expect it to turn yellowish over time. Not a problem of course if you aren't concerned about how long your art will last, but something to think about.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I use copic multiliners and they do not bleed when water is used over them and you can refill the pens
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM

I've tested many waterproof inks, and the best are for dip pens are:
1) Rohrer & Klingner Drawing Ink (not the Antique, and not the Acrylic)
2) Pelikan Drawing Ink A
3) Dr. Ph. Martins Black Star Matte

These three are jet black, totally waterproof, beautiful. Be ready to clean your nibs quite often though, and you'll need alcohol or ammonia!

For fountain pens, the best (not the blackest) ink that's waterproof ALSO on watercolor paper is Platinum Carbon Ink.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

what do others think of noodler's black bulletproof?
"The clock of life is wound but once, and no-one can tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

An interesting thread on waterproof inks for fountain pens is A Complete List of Waterproof Inks.

Before committing to a whole bottle, however, you can do your own tests. Buy sample vials of fountain pen here for next to nothing. You can test each ink and see if the waterproof properties work for you.

Jan