WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada
Creating A Grid Using Microsoft Word

I've been searching for a way to grid an image. I don't have Photoshop or anything similar. I invented my own solution. Here are the steps.

1. Create a table in Microsoft Word in the desired size. e.g. 4" x 6".

2. Make the individual cells in the desired size ( height x width) e.g. 1 " squares.

3. Insert your .jpg picture into your word document. You can size it to whatever dimensions makes the image clear for 'griding' .

4. Format the picture to " hide behind text" using the picture format tool.

5. Superimpose the table ( i.e. grid) over the picture.

6. Color the gridlines (use the line color tab on the table drawing tool) I often make the gridlines yellow or orange.

7. You can format your picture to either full color, grayscale, or black & white.

8. Print the picture with gridlines out.

This is simple but it works especially for those of us who don't have photoshop.

I'm new to Wet Canvas. I love the forums.

Linda F.
Calgary AB Canada
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Immortalized
dixon Ill

Hails from United States
Re: Creating A Grid Using Microsoft Word

Interesting and inventive solution. I would have never thought of using word in that manner since I have several imaging tools that have the capability of creating a grid, but I see how using Word would do the job.

I'm sure there are other software products that would work for that purpose. I guess the phrase "Necessity is the mother of invention" really is true.

Great idea.

Chuck

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Central Florida's East Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks for the information. I found some pre-formatted grids, and downloaded them, which are in adobe acrobat by doing a search for grids on the internet. I put my picture in the printer and just print the grid on it (any color that will work), but this sounds easy too!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Southbury Ct.

Hails from United States

I found a link to this site on WC http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/lite/ to create graph paper of varying sizes. I did that and printed on my inkjet on a transparency. I can then just place it onto any printed photo that I want without having to edit the photo at all - just an overlay
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Can we see you do this with Word?--Word is my arch nemesis and JUST ONCE--I would actually like to have the last word so to speak. As Chaz said, very inventive.

Nowadays, I put an acetate grid on the photo and then I have a flat white grid on illustration board which I lay flat on a table. I take tracing paper and lay it on TOP of the grid--do my drawing on that and then transfer it to my good paper--I got this trick from some of our cp experts.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada

Hi Jay,
I tried to send you a private message but your box is full. If you send me your email to my private box I'll send you a word document with a picture with a grid on top. You can then just add rows/columns to the table as needed and use it for your own pictures.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 11:16 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

I would suggest going to gimp.org, where you can download a picture editor for free. It is almost as good as Photoshop, and if memory serves, includes a feature to overlay a grid across a photo.