WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 AM

Hails from India
Smile Watercolor Pencils or Water Soluble Pencils

I've been lurking around for a few weeks now and this is my first post. I absolutely love the forum and the tons of tips you offer. (Am I glad the forum is back - I amost experienced withdrawal symptoms when I couldn't access it for the few hrs).

I have a question on water soluable pencils. Can anyone recommend any tips/techniques/books on how to use them? I just got a pack of water color pencils and I would love to learn to use them well.

Pooja
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States
Re: Watercolor Pencils or Water Soluble Pencils

Welcome Pooja, there are great books out there. Of course Ann Kulberg has some great ones. Gary Greene has some good books on this subject.One I liked was by Kathy johnson, Watercolor pencil techniques. I believe Ann Kulberg has a video step by step on portraits in WC pencils, you can't loose with that one.
Hope you will share your work with us, Andi
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Gouda

Hails from Netherlands

Hi Pooja,

I agree with Andi, but here's another tip: youtube! There are a couple of short vid's, it helps a little. The derwent pencils site has a couple of nice demo's showing how to use their pencils (they have some great ones, btw), but it contains good information about watersoluble pencils in general too. Also it helps to look up some information about watercolor paint. Some of the techniques (like splattering and using salt) work for the pencils as well. Also the site elfwood has some nice tutorials to get you started.

Sien
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 AM

If you are anxious to get up and going with your watercolor pencils - and what self-respecting artist wouldn't be extremely motivated to test these pencils out? - I suggest that you 'search' and read the many good articles on watercolor pencils, right here in Wet Canvas.

You might also do a search engine (such as google, yahoo, etc.) search on the phrase: watercolor pencil technique. I found a bunch of good articles right on the web!

By the way, don't tell anyone how fascinating these artist-quality watercolor pencils are to use. (It'll be our little secret!)

-- Jeff
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi, Pooja! Welcome out of lurkdom!

What kind of WC pencils do you have? I have several different brands, but haven't developed the knack for them yet...

If you're interested in books, I'd look at these for WC pencils:
Colored Pencil Explorations by Gildow & Johnston
Drawing & Painting with Colored Pencil by K. Kutch

I hope you'll share any experiments you feel good about!
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Gouda

Hails from Netherlands

Hey,

I totally agree on the above on Kutch's book, I love the watercolor pencils chapters!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

I took a workshop with KRisty Kutch and it was fun. She is very nice and apporachable. Janie Gildow and Barbara B. Newton have some good instructional books. I agree that Gary Greene's books have great exercises in them.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2008, 11:47 PM

Hails from India

Ohhh so many things to try out!

I found a couple of videos on youtube and have also ordered Colored Pencil Explorations and Drawing & Painting with Colored Pencil. Eagerly waiting for them to arrive. Until then, I just plan to go crazy with the pencils.

I've got 2 sets of watercolor pencils - one is Generals (12) and Prismacolors (24). I like the feel of Prismas compared to Generals... but I'm using Generals as a practice set for now.

I just stared on the Monthly CP Challenge. It's so much fun! Hope to share my work very soon.........

Pooja
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 08:23 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Pooja, welcome out of lurkdom. I agree with your choice of books.

I'm not familiar with the Generals so I don't know how they are. Do a few test patches with the Generals and Prismacolors. Make sure you get enough color from the Generals to learn from. Sometimes the difference between student and professional quality pencils is the amount of pigment they contain. Sometimes, with student pencils you can't get the value range and color saturation that you can with professional quality pencils.

I look forward to seeing your experiments.

Anne

http://annesainzart.embarqspace.com/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Hails from India

Hi Anne,

The name shows as General's Kimberly Watercolor pencils, but I haven't seen this brand being mentioned anywhere else. The pack says its artist grade but it's nothing compared to the prismacolors. I'm just going to use it as a practice set
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States

General brand has been around a long time. they are not artist grad as you have been able to tell from the way the behave. When you build up your resources, try some of the derwent water colored pencils, I think they are great. They also carry graphtint. I have a few WC pencils from derwent, I love the deep color saturation, even when using a wash, they really stay vibrant. I just love all of derwent's products.
Glad you are going to share with us your journey, Andi
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Michigan City, IN

Hails from United States

Hi, Pooja-
Yes, watersoluble colored pencils are relatively speedy and a lot of fun, once you get into using them. They were invented in 1930 (!!!) but they are fairly recently coming out of their own art-materials "lurkdom", it seems. I had my own first set for 8 years before I really did anything with them, and then I finally experimented seriously with them because I had so many questions from people asking, "What do I do with these?!"
The better the pencil pigmentation, the happier you'll be with the results. Better pencils dissolve in to pure washes and stay vibrant- well worth whatever you invest in them. One of my students let out a little shriek when the red cherry tomatoes in her drawing turned sickly pink as the surface was wetted. That said it all! (The second half of my book is devoted to watersoluble pencils and their techniques, as well as how to combine them with waxy/oily colored pencils.)
One word about your Prismacolor watercolor pencil selection. Don't use the Nonphoto Blue for anything that you want to photograph, since it "ghosts out" when photographed or duplicated as a color photocopy. (I was surprised, however, that it did appear on something I'd scanned with my home scanner.) Otherwise, you have a nice quality with your Prismacolor set, so enjoy them!
Kristy Kutch
www.artshow.com/kutch
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Gouda

Hails from Netherlands

Huh? It 'ghosts' out? What does that mean??
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

It's invisible when photographed.

I am having some fun exploring the combo of cp ans water cps. There's something MAGIC about wetting the piece and seeing those colors come alive!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Hails from India

Quote:
Don't use the Nonphoto Blue for anything that you want to photograph, since it "ghosts out" when photographed or duplicated as a color photocopy.

Ah so that's what it is. My animator friend uses it extensively - though I didn't know the name of the pencil then. He draws his rough sketches in the nonphoto blue and then draws the character in either graphite or CPs. This way he doesn't have to clean up the sketch before scanning them. I didn't know these were part of the Prismas - neat!