WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States
Question What size O2 cylinder do I need?

Hi all! Newbie with a question here! I took a 2 day lampwork class in June and I am HOOKED! I've got everything in the works...minor, glass and kiln in the mail, hubby re-wiring the garage and framing/sheet rocking/installing AC in my own space, etc. My garage just happens to already be plumbed with natural gas (someone must have had a heater in there) so I'm planning to use natural gas rather than propane.

All that said, I'm ready to call a welding supply and get details on oxygen cylinder rental. What size cylinder do I need? I looked at the chart in Kervin's book (pg 25), but I still don't know what to start with. Any suggestions? I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I call them .

I'd love to post my beginner beads (which happen to be my only beads) on the beginner beads thread. I may have to scan them, because my digital won't take good close-ups.

I learn so much by reading your posts! I can't wait to get my set-up so I can begin to apply all this knowledge I'm acquiring!

Thanks in advance!
Melanie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Gainesville, FL & Cape San Blas, FL

Hails from United States
Melainie - STOP !!

Melanie,

BEFORE you buy an oxygen cylinder, you need to do yourself a BIG favor and check out oxygen concentrators !!! A lot of lampworking artists are getting away from ox cylinders because of the hassle of having to refill them. Oxygen concentrators take room air and make 95% oxygen, almost by magic

Bill
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast
Lausanne, Switzerland

Hails from France
However, if you decide to go for the oxy tanks, take the biggest avalable size provided you don't have to haul them yourself...
I torch about 10 h a week on a 30 L tank and I have to replace it every two month.
Anne
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
OR, if you have the $$ you can opt for an Oxygen gen from OGSI.
It will run a Lynx and you can do soft or hard glass. Really depends on where you want to go with your glass work. AND instead of the minor. you could look at the Lynx torch. which is far better. (you'll most likely work your way up to that one. down the road.)

And Welcome to WC
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Melanie,

Welcome, yes we want to see those beads...we will love them! So glad you are enjoying the glass arts!

Gee, this is a challenge. My oxy cylinder had to be one I could carry alone, and at 5'0", I could only haul the 3' tall one up the basement stairs. Worked great, but only lasted a day plus a little bit (at 10 hours/day). Two weeks, and 7 trips to the welding supply later, I knew this wasn't for me.

I've been doing lampwork about 4 month, and as I'm working on a Lynx, with dreams of future boro glass work (Bullseye now), I opted for the OGSI-15 generator. (Love it!)

In your situation, with a Minor, I would go with the concentrator (rebuilt with a warranty). If money is not a big issue, the generator is a true luxury.

Good luck! Valorie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Near the Beach

Hails from United States
I would start with tanks in a size you can handle.Use 282 cu ft as a starting point.That`s a nice size(for me).Your torch performs properly using tanks and your investment is(should be)small.

Shop around for price and service. They vary..a lot!!..And buy a good gauge,but don`t buy the tank,if at all possible(I like the word:rent).

.....So....Are you aware of the natural gas issue???....Will you have enough pressure to run your torch??.......
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast
Nebraska

Hails from United States
Melanie - not to worry, a minor will run on natural gas at the normal low house pressures. Propane and propylene also work fine with a minor, if you end up having to get a tank for any reason. Get the largest tank of O2 you (or your apparently wonderful DH) can haul. If you work on beads everyday, expect it to run out in about a week, however - O2 goes FAST (though not sure how it will go with Natural Gas.)

A concentrator will work with a minor. I went for an oxygen generator instead. Significant difference in dollars (generator more expensive) but they are new and should last a long time. Many love concentrators, too, however. Either way, with a minor, you'll be happy. If you move up to a larger torch, you'll have to do a little checking.

Good luck. BTW, may I borrow your hubby?

B2
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States
Thank you so much everyone! I've looked into generators a little; a new one is a very big commitment and I wasn't sure about the lifespan of rebuilt generators.

I think I'll just go to a welding supply (or two to compare) and rent my first couple of tanks of O2 before I decide on the generator. I'll just take hubby and the truck with me and rent the largest cylinder we can manage easily.

Yes B2, my hubby is the best! He told me yesterday that he took some of my beads (I'd left them in his truck) and showed the guys he works with! I was so embarassed! (Like a bunch of real estate guys care about my beads...) I'm very lucky to have someone so supportive!

Thanks again!!
Melanie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Hi Melanie,
Welcome to the world of lampworking! Isn't it great! It's also great that you have such a supportive hubby!

Bill, If those oxy concentrators make magic then I just gotta have one!

*sigh* one of these days I will graduate from the darn MAPP cannisters...can't wait!

Misty
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 05:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Land of the Bluish, Smoking Mountains

Hails from United States
Lightbulb

Dear Melanie, When I was checking on O2, I looked up oxygen in the yellow pages. I found 2 places. They both will Sell($189.00) plus $15.50 to fill with oxygen a 125 lb. oxygen container. They deliver for $5.00. Or they will rent you a 200 lb. cylinder for $64.00 a year or $12.00 a month, with a deposit. Ocygen cost for this one was $20.50 Also delivered with a $5.00 fee. To me, the $5.00 delivery fee is well worth it. If you do Buy the 125 lb. tank, it is just like the propane exchange. When it's empty, you call them up and they bring you a replacement. Air Gas is a big supplier of O2. After the initial investment, it's very inexpensive to keep it up (notice I didn't say cheap!)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2002, 07:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hey Melanie,

If you go with the tank...a hand-truck would also be helpful.
Oh...and don't overlook bringing a strap with hooks to hold the tank on the hand-truck.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2002, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Western PA & Sarasota FL

Hails from United States
Hi Melanie,
If you want information on reconditioned concentrators, e-mail me at: paulette@suncoastbeads.com.

Paulette
www.suncoastbeads.com

www.suncoastbeads.com