WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Sanyi Studio Easel?

Hi all,

I posted this in oil painting but thought this might be a good forum to seek info.

I need another easel in a new room with the luxury of a cathedral ceiling and was considering taking the leap for a larger studio easel which I can grow into. There is a sale this month at Jerry's for the Sanyi easels at 40% off. There is no shipping over $650, so the Professional series would be about $850. Here is the link:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su.../0021523000000

Another consideration would be the Sorg, however it does not move from side to side. The Sanyi seems to be designed after the well crafted Hughes which is way expensive due to probably it's superior U.S.A. craftsmanship. Also I probably would go for the Professional 2 Model with the counterbalance weight system rather than the crank one (don't want any gear jamming and that's a lot of cranking to move it up and down). Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

David
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States
Re: Sanyi Studio Easel?

Seems like a "$65" shipping surcharge anyway. Sounds like a decent easel, however, think I'd go for the Sorg hands down. You should consult with David Sorg, who seems available through W/C on this site.
Though I don't own one a Sorg now, my thoughts are to do so in the future. I'd rather have a quality Sorg with counter-balance movement and other features .. for less money too.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM

Thank you Boomerbeach. Somehow in the back of my mind I remember you are certainly an easel person. Once you might have been selling a Soltek only to not sell it. Am I mistaken?

David
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Thanks for showing us the link. But it is for the whole Jerrry's Artarama art supply site. It took me sometime to find this page in the site on studio art easels.

STUDIO ART EASELS - WOOD EASELS, METAL EASELS AND MORE

Many brands of easels are listed. What I find interesting is the large variation of prices on the same easel design. I suppose they are all for price and delivery in the US.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States

David -- Yes, months ago I was going through this "paint smaller" deal.
Weeks later, late Fall '07, I commenced concentrated plein air work ... Out 32 times thus far in '08, on top of some 20 times last Oct -Dec '07. I now keep a Journal of my PA days, a very good thing.
Glad I kept the SolTek, as my experience with a smaller cigar box/tripod was not good for same. I'm back to 8x10 (I like prefer 9x12" & 8x16") through 12x16" format for the outside work with an occasional smaller board size too. There is no perfect easel, but the Soltek is really solid for PA stuff and larger format size.
Regarding larger studio easels, I think the up/down ease more important than side to side, as one can easily do that otherwise.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Thank you Boomerbeach. Just out of curiosity, after having checked the floor model of the sanyi carefully and noticed some "ricketiness", I hazarded a call to Hughes Easel. I have no reason to believe I was getting a line as he had a backorder of 22 easels to build, and my conversation with the owner was far reaching and relaxed. I mentioned I was looking at the chinese knockoff of his easel and he said his only knowledge of it was that in the two short years it has been available, he's had a "couple of people" call and inquire about his as they loved the concept but their chinese versions were already giving them problems. As far as ricketiness, he said the first thing he noticed as a difference between his and theirs on paper was that theirs weighed only 90 lbs, whereas his weighed 180 lbs., and there was no give in any of his joints...solid as a rock. He guaranteed his would last a life time.(So, it wasn't in the nature of the design then.) I've noticed on forums even David Sorg has had to endure some warping parts of his "signature" easel, since Jerry's took it over and had it made in China. David is left to advising people they must go to back to Jerry's to rectify it, not to him because he has no control over quality anymore.

I guess I know from buying acoustic guitars in my life that quality handmade guitars are a lot easiler to play and just get better tone over the years, compared to the cheaper mass produced models. I guess that's why the Soltek is so highly regarded, even at over $400. So I guess I'll just ignore the 40% off coupon and save my money for the real thing. It will cost me $1900 down the road for American made quality rather than paying $850 for chinese junk now.

Thanks all.

David
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Sorg Easel

If Anyone Has Used The Sorg Easel Can You Comment On Your Satisfaction With It? Thanks
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Let everyone you know that you are in the market for an easel. A instructor friend of mine got a Hughes 3000 unfortunately it was too tall for his house. He offered me this beautiful easel for what he paid for it —$150.00! try the internet for auctions in your area if you are patient something will turn up.
Gerry
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Do you have a Sanyi easel? In the market for larger easel and would like to know if Sanyi easel is satisfactory etc. I know it's cheaper than Hughes, but don't want to waste my money if it has problems.
Roxanne
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Sorg Easel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann62
If Anyone Has Used The Sorg Easel Can You Comment On Your Satisfaction With It? Thanks

I have a david sorg easel! Yes it's true that I had to get another one for the first was warped but then I was going through David himeself (3years ago). However, I love the easel! It's sturdy as hek and it's nice not to have to touch the painting to move it up and down. NOW, If i were thinking staight I would have boughten a Sorg when I hada studio that had 12 foot ceilings...but I can still move it a bit and that seems good enough for the sizes I am painting upon. I have seen one easel of interest ( although when I played with a demo it sure was wabbley) and i forgot the name but its' that one where the canvas can rotate 360. That's definately cool thing. But back to Sorg. I just love it. I don't think of the easel at all!
I hope he can rectify the problems the Chinese are doing to his easel! That totally sucks for him!
Those are my thoughts about the sorg! Let me know if you have more ?'s
maria
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Kettering, OH

Hails from United States

I would buy the Sorg easel because its cheaper and more functional- but if you work on huge canvases, you should go for the sanyi.....
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jon-deitner.html
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM

It is a great easel. I just got mine today and am sooooo excited. It seems great, although I just put it together and haven't had a chance to paint on it yet. It is sold both by David and by Jerry's Artarama. However, if you buy from David, he actually gets a little of the money (nothing when you go through Jerry's), PLUS you get some extra instructions and other helpful gizmos that will make assembly and operation even more of a breeze. He is very, very nice to deal with, too. If there are any problems whatsoever, he will make it right without the hassle.