WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States
Golden Retriever WIP

11 x 14 Claybord White "Golden Retriever" This one was posted a while back. I have the video clip on my technique. You all can view at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7in65nUUWM Comments always welcome

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't Know, and the more I realize I may never know. But the one thing I do know is I am addicted to creating art.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Golden Retriever WIP

Your hands move faster than mine

Thank you so much for that!! That was invaluable and has really piqued my interest in airbrush techniques
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

really interesting technique and such great results! I really appreciate you posting this. How long does a board this size take you to airbrush and scratch (roughly)?

Also I would like to know more about the transfer technique you are using at the start of the video to get the image the size you want. What did you use to get your lines onto the white board? What setting did you use in photoshop to get the edges?

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

That was exhausting to watch ...and really fascinating. Thanks for sharing your techniques. I love the headstudy.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Nicely done!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

Patrick, My hands move fast; but they shack too. I'm glad I peek your interest in Airbrushing. I use mine for all kinds of mediums. It has been invaluable to me.

Crais
Quote:
How long does a board this size take you to airbrush and scratch (roughly)? Also I would like to know more about the transfer technique you are using at the start of the video to get the image the size you want. What did you use to get your lines onto the white board? What setting did you use in photoshop to get the edges?

I'm glad you asked: The project in this video took about 6 hour 11 x 14. More scratching then airbrushing time. Other pieces this size can take me up to 16 hours. It just depends on the level of detail I want. The transfer method I used I discovered a couple of years ago, by accident. Some accidents can be good ones, like this one. I use this method to transfer most my art projects. Photoshop settings (Filter...Sketch....Photocopy) Photocopy detail 24 darkness 3. I flip image horizontal in Photoshop prior to printing. I use Poster Board to print image with large format printer. Prints up to 13 x 19. The poster board can be purchased at Michaels craft store. It is a slick non absorbent surface. The ink from the printer sets on top of the poster board. And well you know the properties of Ampersand claybord, it absorbent. So when the image is placed on the claybord it suck the ink right into it. (Beautiful thing) Really speeds up the transfer time.

Winky's Mon and Pinups thanks for the comments

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't Know, and the more I realize I may never know. But the one thing I do know is I am addicted to creating art.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

First time I see Scratchboard work in action. Very cool!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Southfield, Michigan

Hails from United States

Very cool work!!!!!!!!! And that transfer technique is brilliant! Now I may go dust off the old airbrush . . . don't know if I've used it since retiring from working in the mall and painting bratty kids t-shirts with corny nicknames on overpriced-shirts!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 AM
A WC! Legend
My part of the universe

Hails from United States

Watching your technique of Airbrush to Scratchbd was one of the highlights of my day!!! And the result was stellar!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

I really enjoyed your video. I especially liked the transfer. What kind of large format printer do you have?

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

Diana, I love that transfer method,( old age got the best of me again; I said I discovered that 2 years ago, more like 4 or 5 years ago.) My large format printer is an Epson Stylus 1280. It's a good quality printer for its price range.

Mary and Bertoni, Thanks for the kind comments.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

That's a great board (I have a Golden, so I'm partial to them) and I love getting the back stage peek at your technique! And Nickleback! Good music choice for the speed of the clip. Doesn't hurt that they're Canucks, either!

- Tania

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

Tania, I agree about Ampersand Claybord, I use It exclusively. My fav. band right now is the Nickleback.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

That was very cool to watch...you are a whiz! What is that tool you used when you weren't airbrushing or using the xacto??

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

lorna12, I have admired your work for a long time. I'm glad you watch my video clip. Here is a picture of all the tools I use.