WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Alberta

Hails from Canada
to frame or not to frame

so when you frame your scratchboard pieces do you put them behind glass?
if so what type of glass...no glare or non reflective? and whats the difference other than price?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: to frame or not to frame

I have done both, and just don't personally care for the no glass effect. It may be because I'm older. I use regular glass, I find no glare or non-reflective seems to dull the image a bit. If it were paper I'd use conservation glass (see the butterfly picture to see why, the paper yellowed a bit since 1974) but if I'm using the ampersand boards, they're archival and will live beyond my lifetime anyway.
Karen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

No glass. I use three coats of Lascaux Fixativ spray as a permanent isolation layer and follow that with at least three coats of Golden MSA Archival spray varnish.

- Tania

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I don't use glass...I spray it with an acrylic sealer (several coats)

I actually just discussed this with a framer/gallery owner/artist who felt it should be behind conservation glass to be UV protected. Although I am no expert on the subject, I feel glass isn't necessary as long as it is sealed properly and not hung in direct sunlight. Besides I don't like the look of glass over top. One of my clients bought a piece and then had it framed underglass and to me it really took away from the piece. You couldn't really see the scratches and it looked like a black and white photo.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

"UV protected" for work in black and white? Sounds like overkill to me... the black ink Ampersand uses is a carbon-based ink - like a true India ink - it's lightfast. Carbon-based inks can be displayed with very little concern for fading.

As for the coloured versions... yes, definitely more of a concern. If we choose lightfast, permanent and archival materials the colours will last longer. Check the watercolour/ink/paint container and there should be a lightfastness rating somewhere on the label.

Using a sealant/spray/varnish with UV protection will help as well.

I'm with you, I really don't like framing my boards under glass. I'm not saying people shouldn't glaze if they like the look, I'm just saying I'm not personally a fan of glazing scratchboard.

- Tania