WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 PM

how to store drawings

hi all!

i have been wondering how ppl are storing their colored pencil works. do you just put them in folders, use fixative or something else? i put mine into these plastic sheets (dont know what they are called) but i have been thinking that the color might rub off onto the plastic.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Scotland

Hails from Canada
Re: how to store drawings

I store mine flat in boxes. with tissue paper separating them. I read that keeping them long term in plastic sheets can cause humidity to effect them.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 AM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

I have copies of all my drawings in my portfolio, but I don't have any originals to store, most of them being commissions,and the rest being gifts. I have two original portraits in frames, hanging on the walls.

I would think that using tissue paper or tracing paper between them would be the best way to store them. I wouldn't put them in plastic protectors unless you have sprayed them with permanent fixative, and then probably not shouldn't anyway.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Mine, for the most part, are hanging on the walls [those not sold.....] The others, mostly pen/ink works, being on stiff boards, are leaned against each other on the side wall of the room, whether in frames or not - and most all are coated with protective coatings, acrylic gloss medium for the most part....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I usually mat and frame my originals (my husband makes all my frames and I do all my own matting), seems that way they stay safer for me. However when I do store them I lay them flat in a map file I have and put acid free drawing paper between them. I always spray fixative on my finished pieces and have had no problems with this method. I have put some in the clear envelopes after spraying, but I do not seal the end, instead I leave it open for air flow and usually this is only for a short term stay before I get them framed or for transporting the piece. Has worked well so far.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
The Oregon outback....

Hails from United States

Since I don't sell to anyone unless they beg me---I own most of my own drawings. I store them in a tablet of acid free paper, in between layers....

Sean
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Belleville ,Ontario

Hails from Canada

I dont have that many cp works yet and have not sold any . I do store what I have so far in pad of acid free Bristol paper(didnt like using it) in between layers.

"It takes two artists to do a painting. One to paint it and the other to shoot him before he ruins it"
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

I keep mine in envelopes, about 10 to 15 per nvlp, with a clean sheet between each & every drawing, and (this is important) the envelopes are in vertical position.

Ordinary cp drawings need no fixative, pastel pencil works obviously need it.

Heikki
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I disagree, Heikki. Prismacolors need fixative to prevent wax bloom, and the UV protector works to contain fading.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast
Fitchburg, WI, USA

Hails from United States
Smile Re: how to store drawings

I have been using a new workable fixative called SpectraFix, then I store them flat with glassine between them, if I don't mat and frame them. Drawings/paintings with mats, but no frames get stored flat with glassine, too.

Here is the URL for the SpectraFix product.
Since I do a lot of pastels, I first found out about it from those in the Pastel Forum.
http://www.spectrafix.com/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States

Elsie: Thanks for the link, it appears to be a fixative that I could really get behind, but I will have to try it first.

- Del
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 AM

Hails from United States

I don't use any fixative on my drawings, not even with pastels, as I've read that it can affect the colours (darkens them) and in time the paper as well. What works for me is matting the cp drawings before framing them, this way preventing the paper to come in direct contact with the glass. I store the unframed ones between acid-free papers, one on top of another

Mihaela