WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
Painting Fruit Trees

Ok Gang,

I am about to go play hooky today and try to capture the essence of fruit trees en plein aire. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

I've failed miserably in the past. Am I just too in love with the subject? Can't I see the darks in the lights?

Help.... I know you are out there! what is the way to pink - light and fluffy - oh and can I use my lavender pastel too? It's one of my favorites?

Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Abbotsford, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Painting Fruit Trees

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day Barb, and its so beautiful out today. And of course you can use your lavender!!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Melodie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Immortalized
California

I have no tips for you, all I can do is wish you GOOD LUCK Paint lots of trees. Have fun!

Drawing people and getting a reasonable likeness used to be a problem area for me but now I've spent nearly one school year (Aug-to-May) in a life drawing class and I'm finally "getting it" more often than not. On my last trip (I sketch when I travel) I discovered the next area I need to work on...trees. Darned if they don't show up everywhere, just like people!

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitt
Drawing people and getting a reasonable likeness used to be a problem area for me but now I've spent nearly one school year (Aug-to-May) in a life drawing class and I'm finally "getting it" more often than not.

LOL, I've been taking life drawing classes for *three* years now (since June 2005) and still can't capture a likeness for squat, or even close to one.

Not that I'm any better with trees! I have no advice, I just want to see what you come up with. Fruit trees sound like a wonderful subject. I'd make a blobby mess of them. Yours have to be better. Please show us what you do.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Barb, I usually tone my paper a nice medium neutral color. Then I back off from the tree and try to see the whole thing at once, so I'm not quite so up close and personal. Then try this. Mark the top, bottom and sides of the entire tree on the paper (or off onto the top or sides of the board, if it goes off a bit), and then draw the shape of the whole balloon of the foliage (flowers). Your drawing will probably look like an already-licked lopsided lollypop at that point. Then find the balloons of foliage inside the big one, which are held up by the major branches, and draw them in place. Then find the light source and shadow lightly the undersides of the balloons of foliage, seeing where there's a slight overlap in places. I usually sketch in the trunk and branches at this point because I know now where they're located.

From there I give you my permission (like you need it!) to PLAY with all the dancing strokes and colors. Find the darker flower colors first, then the mediums, which usually are the most colorful. Add the lights last, giving you time to find the color that's right. For cherry blossoms I usually use cobalt blues in the shadows, turning those pinks into your lavender, a saturated magenta for the mediums and pale pink and/or yellowy-white for the last lights.

Have fun and I hope some of my ideas help a bit!!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Oh you gals are good for my ego and my knowledge base.

Yes - it is going to be a lot of play but first I have business to attend to this morning and then it's ... fun fun fun this afternoon.

Loved the tutorial Deborah.

As for the likeness of people - no problem - the closer I sit to the model the better my measurements - the easier the piece.

But... put me in front of a tree that I consider to be all the same... I'm just a babbling idiot with a pastel stick in my hand.

I'll post what I get no matter what! Promise.

Thanks to all!!! Barb

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Oh and Deborah - I LOVE THE COLORS on your painting!

You are bold and go where most of us don't dare!

Oh and one more tidbit - I sold the two paintings of adobe houses I worked on with your guidance. Thanks for your skills, tips and training. I pulled out your landscape book immediately this morning as a reference tool in preparation for my adventure!!!

Barb

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

I await the portrait of your fruit trees, Barb! What a great way to be able to spend the afternoon. If I tried it now I would freeze to death...nevermind the fact that there is no green or fruit on any trees to be seen...just a bit of dirty snow!
Have fun!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Sandy - come on out and play - we have lots of sunshine this week and it makes me want to paint paint paint - but not do computer work which is exactly where I am right now. Argh...

Folks - I appreciate your advice and will have to keep it for another time. The day is too busy with projects for tonight's Art Walk. Gotta make some $ to frame to buy art supplies so I can make some money to paint so I can make some money to frame.... well you get the picture.

barb

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoonan
Oh and one more tidbit - I sold the two paintings of adobe houses I worked on with your guidance. Thanks for your skills, tips and training. I pulled out your landscape book immediately this morning as a reference tool in preparation for my adventure!!!

Kewl!! So glad to hear that... I love thinking that what I taught was useful. Neat.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Never fear Deborah - it's always been helpful and i look back at those paintings with the fondest of memories!!! Barb