WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Hall of Fame.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
red dresses

I have been asked to do a series of dancer images again........I did a whole series some while ago, some of you oldies ( ) might even remember I showed a few of them here.

Having had a long gap, I am feeling a bit insecure about these new ones, the sketches looked OK but this first one has gone thro quite a few changes and I would be interested in some feedback. For example, faces have never been my forte and I have some concerns about these two. Not that the faces are meant to be important in this picture, quite the contrary, it is all about the red dresses, obviously......but I have to present this series to a print company eventually, so any glaring errors need to be sorted out NOW. I'd appreciate your eagle eyes.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States
Re: red dresses

first, I really like the comp and colors the things that catches my eyes is that on both the figures, the ears are way too high on their heads and on the girl in the back, her right eye can be raised a little bit higher on her face. I included a photoshopped version to show what I mean oh ignore all the other little marks I did, got a tendency to do more than what I want to show

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Jackie, I love it!! I just keep scrolling back up to see it again!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

No CC, just GORGEOUS!!!!

Dancers are such a beautiful gracious subject, and so many artists have painted them before, I was wondering where you get your inspiration from, do they let you in at the rehearsals?

The painting is Fabulous, no reason to be insecure about! I love it!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Vibrant, yet elegant. This is just a lovely piece.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Wow, what a lovely painting, ,love the different kinds of reds.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Other than WOW, the only nitpik I can see is that the upper arm of the dancer in the back is a bit long.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Beautiful - love the vibrancy of this!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Jackie, the color in this is just smashing. Go for it, girl! Knock their socks off with color and design and that wow stroke work of yours. Delicious!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Lee
first, I really like the comp and colors the things that catches my eyes is that on both the figures, the ears are way too high on their heads and on the girl in the back, her right eye can be raised a little bit higher on her face. I included a photoshopped version to show what I mean oh ignore all the other little marks I did, got a tendency to do more than what I want to show

thanks for this insight.......tho one has to remember that the heads are tipped forwards, and no matter what, the ears need to line up - tops of the ears in line with eyebrows, and bottoms of ears in line with mouth. I always remember my tutor drawing on an egg, putting ears on the side and a dotted line round from the top and bottoms of the ears, to the front. Then, showing what happens when you tip the egg forwards or backwards - the ears still line up in this way. I should have remembered that when doing this painting, since you are definitely right about the front girl...she looks like Dr Spock's offspring! See I knew it was a good idea to show you guys, thanks a lot.

Just for fun, here is the photo I used......in my own defence, I think I could be forgiven, her ears do seem quite high on her head!

Adiro.....I did an entire exhibition of dancer pics a while ago, and I visited two dance studios, to sketch and take photos, and also went behind the scenes at a dance festival with sketchbook and camera, stood in the wings and got some super images out of it.

Here is one:

For this new set of images, I cannot work in quite the same style, so I hope the new ones will have a different "look".

These particular dancers were culled from photos taken by a friend of mine who also used to paint dancers. They are two quite separate photos, the dancer modelled in her living room, so I "made up" the flats behind them, from memory of what I had seen before, and also, the girl wore a short tutu, so I made up the skirts too. I reversed one of the photos, THAT was a bit of challenge because I had to reverse the light too! Having done quite a lot of these images before, I felt I knew, more or less, how to tackle those things. But it does account for my feeling a bit wobbly about doing it.

thanks for your help and encouragement.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

now I look at the photo together with the painting on the one page, I am even more worried. My front dancer looks rather wooden........oh dear. Well, I only use the photo as a starting point...clearly I need to improve the drawing.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Jackie, wonderfully painted. Its great to see you posting!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
North Carolina USA

Hails from United States

Jackie, I just can't get over the colors. They are gorgeous. If you know, would you mind telling us what colors and types of pastel are in those dresses. I was so caught by the colors, I didn't notice the ears.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 06:32 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

COLOURS.......well, there you have me. I take the wrappers off my pastels, and mix 'em all together, then I was given a huge stack of pastels by someone who has given up painting, so all I can tell you is that there is a mix of cool and warm reds, some Schmincke, Rowneys, Unison, and one brilliant orange made by a french company. sorry cannot be more explanatory.

the main reason that the reds glow as much as they do, is to do with both colour and tonal contrasts. IRL the pic glows even more. there are many layers of colour, one over another, warms over cools and vice versa, to give depth and interest.

Jackie

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 03-14-2008 at 07:18 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
North Carolina USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for trying Jackie....just amazing colors.