WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 04:09 PM

Sliver of Light

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sliver of Light
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
I am trying to stay away from exclusively painting orange and yellow skies, so this is a different angle reminiscent of Dennis Sheehan. You can view more work for comparison at my studio page listed below. You can also check out my works for sale on ebay under Sosnowski.<br><br><br><br>http://www.askart.com/askart/studio/studio.aspx?Studio=11154765

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is this the right way to go or stay with the orange and yellow.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Sliver of Light

Definitely Innessian in atmosphere, but in a subtler, more commercial mode. I could live without the foliageless tree on the right; and the leaning towards the edge of all the trees on the right. I find that unsettling. I think you are onto something with these, though. I imagine you will do well with sales once you get more inventory and better established. Good luck!

Allan

Oh, and BTW, I find that the frame you have chosen seriously overwhelms such a fine, subtle painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

Great composition: the naked tree on the right and the pond work particularly well IMO. The value balance is also very good. As an area of possible improvement, I'd say that the light violet sky tones merging into the trees on the left don't quite work. I'm not sure if I'm looking at clouds or mist and if it's in front of or behind the trees. Judged as an abstract, it works great but it puzzles me a bit representationally.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

wow very strange and interesting
i'd prefer a grey/non-stand-out-ish frame to further accentuate the bright strip of light rather than compete with it
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
A Local Legend
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

I like this painting and I echo all of Alllanom's critique, especially regarding the frame.

I might also try eliminating that little puddle in the front.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Very nice !!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum. Your painting is just beautiful, but I agree it is in the wrong frame. Actually the pond is my favorite thing about it. Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Bavaria, Germany

Hails from Germany

I think you’ve captured atmosphere very well and the first impression is very pleasing, which is all important. The composition is challenged though because of the foreground tress leaning out of the painting, and, more importantly, the light source is indeterminable, in that the bright reflections in the background water and the pond can only be caused by a low sun on the horizon – but it isn’t there. Still, a very nice approach.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 PM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

I am somewhat non plussed because I dont know what I am looking at. Is the background very bright strip, light shining on water as in the small foreground pond? Or is it a strip of clear sky on the horizon? Either way it does not ring true. The sky would be as bright as the reflection, or brighter if it is water. If it is a strip of sky on the horizon then the pale blue at the top does not relate to it. It would be a softer more silvery hue of the bright strip?

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Thank you all for the great feedback, both positive and constructive. This image is based on a New England sky with a very bright strip of light on the horizon. The painting is taken from actual skies I have seen time and time again. I recently took a picture of the same subject matter and tweaked it a little. I used this sketch for a larger work which I will be posting shortly, and used several ideas from the critiques I received. Thank you again and I really enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

I saw this scene painted in landscape forum not long after I join WC! The lady posted the photo reference. Anyway - great rendition, very soft.

Marie's FaceBook Marie's Website
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
Timmins, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I too love the frame, but definatly not with this work....

I find it too vague and the pond needs to be better defined since it is right in the foreground. And orange and yellow are not bad things, tiny amounts in a painting such as this would help the painting.

Paint like today is your last day on Earth...
Paint and Pixels are My Preferred Weapons