WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Germany Saxony Leipzig

Hails from Germany
oil pastel landscape

That is a new try in oilpastel (on sandpaper). I had promised this. Now, I am not pleased with the painting. I like more the version in soft pastel. What's your meaning? C&C welcome.
Regards
Rudi
oil pastel version

soft pastel version
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States
Re: oil pastel landscape

Hi Rudy and welcome to the OP forum. The main difference I can see between the 2 paintings is there are a better range of values in the soft pastel version and a more dramatic sky. What kind of OPs did you use? I think if you added some more darks to the foreground and lightened the mountain, it would read better. This is quite nice for you first OP though so try some more. One thing that might be helpful is to let the oil pastels set up over night and then you can add more layers of color.

Pat
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 02:08 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Welcome to the OP forum, Rudi! I agree with most of what Pat's said. But another difference I see between the two pieces is that the greens in the vegetation and the orange hill are more saturated in the OP piece. Too often, the range of colors available in OP sets does tend toward highly saturated colors, particularly in the greens, but there are some alternatives available. Sennelier offers some nicer muted greens and other hues that more closely match the colors you've used in the SP painting (particularly in the OPs in their newer colors in the 200 numbers in their range).

Personally, I really prefer the texture in the OP piece- you created some nice loose impasto strokes in both the vegetation and sky. Also, I think that one thing that makes the soft pastel piece work better is that you included that round bush at the left side, which is missing in the OP piece.

I do think the SP painting is better than the OP one, for the reasons mentioned above, but I hope that you don't give up on your OPs based on this one experiment. If you're more accustomed to using SPs, it may take a little while to get used to OPs. I hope you'll continue to give them a try (one other big advantage to consider: no dust! ), and post what you've been painting.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Germany Saxony Leipzig

Hails from Germany

Thank you very much Annie and Pat,
your commentaries are encouraging, critical and constructive. I work with Neopastel. I also would like Sennelier. The advantage of OP is no dust of course. I will still start attempts with OP next, than I will post here.
Regards and very thanks
Rudi
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada

Welcome Rudi!
I like both of these, for different reasons. I think I prefer the shape of path and water in the soft pastel, and that it has more darks. But I like the textures and strokework of the oil pastel.
I look forward to your future posts!

my virtual gallery