WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Vancouver Island, BC

Hails from Canada
Deep Etch Viscosity Print

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I found a website (now closed) with some prints by a fellow named N. Krishna Reddy. They literally blew me away they were so beautiful. He was doing very deeply etched plates which he then inked up by using layers of inks of decreasing viscosity. The idea being that the inks of different viscosities would not only settle into different levels of the plate but they would also repell each other in some areas. I don't know if I have explained that very well but since it's very new to me I'm just starting to understand how it works myself. Anyway, this guy has a book out called "Intaglio Simultaneous Color Printmaking: Significance of Materials and Processes", which I immediately ordered and have had my nose in since. It's got great stuff in there about how to make some very different marks and deep etching as well as the inking process. At the moment, the only site I know of with one of his works is here:

I have attached a couple of prints from my recent attempt at using his method. I have had a lot of fun with this plate as the variations for printing it are endless. I plan on trying more tomorrow an also have another plate in the works. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with something. It's very exciting!!!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Vancouver Island, BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Deep Etch Viscosity Print

ok....let's try that website again:

http://popartmachine.com/item/%2522Water%2Blilies%2522%2B%252F%2BN.%2BKrishna%2B Reddy%2B%252760.%2BFP%2B-%2BXX%2B-%2BR313%252C%2Bno.%2B1%2B%2528C%2Bsize%2529.../LOC+1525828
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Vancouver, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

These are gorgeous! The technique is pretty much Latin to me but you clearly have a grasp and what ever you're doing is working. I prefer the green but the colours in both prints really resonate for me.

the blue chisel (blog)
blue chisel studio (website)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Braeside, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thos viscosity prints are very stunning! I have been working away on viscosity roll-ups with mini collagraphs for days now - I hadn't done any work using rollers for about 2 years and it took me a few tries to remember how thin and how thick the inks should feel.

The book you mentioned sounds great - how would I go about ordering one?

A site for you to see with a wonderful printmaker in York, U.K. that I took some courses from in collagraph, carborundum and non-toxic etching a few years back is Peter Wray - google him and have a look at his personal site as well as his Hand Print Studio site.

I love this Wet Canvas site - I'm in Ontario out in the country by the river and I can 'talk' and share information with people from all over!

Heather
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

VERY cool. I love the colors- And bet that they are even more stunning in person!!

-Andrew
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Siobhan, Very nice! Did you ink the plates using intaglio methods for the black areas? How deep are the etched areas - I have a few old zinc plates from college days that are deeply etched and perhaps they would benefit from this.

I found a few prints of Reddy's here & there, here's on that I loved:

http://www.gac.culture.gov.uk/search...ject_key=12432

Here's a description of the viscosity technique - I had seen people do this with different hardness rollers, I didn't remember that you varied viscosity but that makes sense.

http://www.niu.edu/art/faculty/dries...echniques.html

Here are some more prints. These are quite beautiful.

http://www.annexgalleries.com/cgi-bi...gallery++12976

http://www.annexgalleries.com/cgi-bi...gallery++13143

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2000/04/09...s/13090072.htm

Last edited by H2O_Baby : 03-25-2008 at 09:31 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM

Beautiful prints! I've only just discovered this technique myself and can't wait to work more with deeply etched plates.
Dee
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Wow - love your results Siobhan! (and Reddy's work too)

I'd heard the term viscosity roll-up before and it was "byork d'byork" to me, so thanks for explaining Siobhan and Baby!

So what does the plate look like Siobhan? I'm imagining the black lines are the deepest etched, and that there is some depth difference between the greens (or oranges) and yellows. Not sure though.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Enthusiast
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

These are fab, Siobhan! I love the depth of the images. I discovered this technique a couple of years ago in a local gallery in Cowichan Bay, but I don't remember the artist's name. Anyway, she had a little write up about the process beside her work, and I was very intrigued. Not really being into intaglio, I've not really been driven to try it, but I'm so pleased that you have been & that you've shared.

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Hails from United States

Those prints are quite beautiful. For some reason viscosity printing has always made me a bit nervous. It took me a while to print a viscosity monotype. I have Krishna Reddy's book, but figured I'll wait until I've got the other techniques more in hand before I travel down that road. But seeing your success may change that thinking! Anyway, congrats on these successful prints.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Jets, how is the book? Can you give a mini review?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Vancouver Island, BC

Hails from Canada

Hi again,
Thanks to evryone for your comments and especially the information for more places to read about viscosity prints.

Heather: If you are doing multi coloured viscosity roll ups on collagraphs, you might enjoy a site by a printer named Barbara Hartill in England. She uses a process she calls "the rubs" along with gold and silver leaf. Her prints are beautiful and she gives TONS of technical information on her site. She has also written a book "Collagraph and mixed media printmaking" which I have and which is very good. Her site is:
http://www.brendahartill.com/

You also asked about Krishna Reddy's book. Unfortunately, I ordered this book from Amazon.ca for $50. When it came I discovered that it was missing the entire center colour illustration section..like not torn out...never inserted! So I asked the company for a new one. They wrote back and said they had no more available and couldn't get me another but I could send it back for a refund. I REALLY wanted that book!! but not for $50 with a big chunk missing. So I am ashamed to say I photocopied the WHOLE thing. ...and then sent it back. I feel a mite guilty about that but I did try to buy it and I was afraid to just send it back for fear I would never get another one. So much for true confessions!

Jetsam: Perhaps you can help us about the book. Also, don't be turned off by getting the technique exactly right. I just dove in. Sometimes I used rollers of different hardness, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes they weren't even large enough to roll the whole length of the plate so I cleaned the roller and did it again from the other end. Sometimes I used Flash Oil and sometimes I used Raw Linseed Oil. I tried it from thin to thick and from thick to thin. I didn't have relief ink so I used all etching ink. If the print really flubbed, I just let it dry and then soaked it again and printed on top of it. (The two I posted were ones that worked all in one printing) I had one that was too dark in both the intaglio and relief final printing so I re intaglio inked the plate with light ink and printed it again on top. I did the reverse with one that was too light. they are drying at school at present but I can post them when they are dry. The thing is - no matter what happens it is going to be something interesting and may lead you on to try an extra step that turns out great.

H2) Baby: Thanks a whole bunch for the Krishna Reddy sites. His work is hard to find.

Rick: You asked about the look of the plate. Since this post is already rather long I think I will explain it in a new one. Thanks again everyone
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Vancouver Island, BC

Hails from Canada

Rick,
I just realized that my plate is at school so I will take a couple of pictures of it and post them for you. When I did the green and yellow print I did an intaglio ink with black. Then I did a loose roll of blue which pretty much covered everything on the top level and a bit of the mid level. Then I did a thicker yellow roll which went over most of the blue and also the missed deeper areas from the first roll. The red thickest roll was last and didn't go many places at all (though it did go deep) and added a nice zing. Now I have done others that didn't behave the same way and even did one where I went from thin to thick and then topped it off with a final thin one. It looked good too but I don't know enough yet to be consistant or even reasonably predictable. I think this process is kind of a "have at it and see what happens". All I can say is that I certainly enjoy it and already have another one in the works. Hope this helps.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM

Hi me "guess who ", I just came across your link , the prints look great I am going to have to get my prints together and get some on wetcanvas,
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2008, 08:00 AM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Wow - those are beautiful! I did my first attempt at viscosity monotype this weekend and I have to admit that it still seems like magic to me. You are certainly understanding the technique well. These are great!

http://ghersey.wordpress.com/