WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Las Vegas

Hails from United States
Question Gesso Alternatives

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have just gotten back in to painting after several years, and I have switched from ois to acrylics. I need to know if there is a viable and inexpensive alternative to the $25.00 a pint gesso sold in the art shops.

I will be painting on masonite panels.
any suggestions?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States
Re: Gesso Alternatives

I get Liquitex acrylic gesso for $13 per pint at a retail store here in CT. You can probably get it even cheaper from a mail order place like Dick Blics. There are other discount art suppliers on the web if you search. Of course one of the nice things about acrylic is that you don't even need to prime your support. The acrylic binder is extremely adhesive and will not damage cellulose fibers like oil does. Many painters paint directly on hardboard panels using the brown color of the wood as their midtone. Wipe down the panel with rubbing alcohol to make sure that it is free of any grease (use only "untempered" hardboard. The "tempered" kind contains oils that make it water resistant and repel acrylic paint.) You may want to rough it up slightly with some fine sandpaper just to assure good adhesion.

I really can't think of any substitute for acrylic gesso that would not cost more money in the long run. Using pure acrylic media might be a bit cheaper and some painters prefer the slicker surface to gesso's chalky texture. Even the best quality house paint won't have the adhesive quality of artist grade acrylic. If you are just practicing and prefer to paint on a sealed or pure white ground you can try it.
http://TomNackidArt.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Alternative to $25 a pint gesso?

As Tomk said, look online for better prices and then either order it online or see if the local art place will price match or at least give you a better price.

Or look for the sale and sale coupons. Around here the two big chain art-n-craft stores ALWAYS have a weekly 40% off coupon. Or a 25%-30% off weekly sale.

So that gesso is now $15 a quart, on sale or with a coupon.

On-line, gesso is under $10 for two pounds here http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/...d-gesso-oz.asp

And about $12 here http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/...s-gesso-oz.asp

Other discount on-line places may vary slightly, but -should- be in the same price ballpark.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Immortalized
California

Unless you're not liking the tooth on your support (paper, canvas, wood, etc.) you don't have to gesso for acrylic, however it'll take alot more paint for the first layer over your support and it'll tend to dry more quickly (it'll suck up alot of water) until it's covered.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Sorry, didn't see this thread earlier. Check out the prices of acrylic primers at Dick Blick, here.

They're a longtime supporter of WC! so like to recommend them but they're often the cheapest of the online vendors too and have great service and shipping rates to boot.

If you're ordering anyway you may like to lay in a stock of acrylic paint, which is also much better value when bought online compared to most stores. Blick's own-brand acrylics are definitely worth a shot and they also stock Tri-Art, probably my favourite artists' acrylics, in addition to the old standards on the American market, Liquitex and Golden.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
north by northwest

Hails from England

Hi Billy
Use normal acrylic undercoat , from your nearest hardware shop you can give it a couple of coats , on board or canvass try it out , it works for me .
John .England
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Thanks for all the replies, I have a lot of things to consider now!