WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
A show!!!

Hello,
I'm all hysterically excited, I've been asked to exhibit my paintings, a solo show!

The place is a culture center, and their gallery is in the foyer -- Gallerie Foyer (French pronunciation, if you please) .

I was invited to a creative networking group last Sunday, and we all told about ourselves and the type of creativity we do. I brought two smaller pastels, talked about being a 'professional' amateur in all I've done in life, and about my thoughts on starting a pastel group, and how I loved the thought of every person getting to express their creativity, without degrees and fancy titles, about wanting to share how to use pastels.

That cultural center is all about people expressing creativity, so immediately when we had a break, the lady from the center grabbed me and steered me into a corner and asked me to do a show! Isn't that smooth? We'd never seen each other before. I'd never heard about that cultural center, either.

Tonight we reached an agreement: Exhibition is during two weeks, starting April 24, and I get to show 10-15 paintings, depending on size. I also get a Saturday for inviting people, what I call a Vernissage. The rest of the two weeks the stuff just hangs there, and people coming to cultural events will see my paintings.

Conditions is that they are not responsible for my paintings (no insurance), but they only ask for a 10% commission. That is very little, compared to commercial galleries. I don't have to sit there for two weeks, either.

This is the second person who's asked me to do a show! Remember I mentioned a church asking too? Well, they can't make up their minds, as they fear that the whole "money thing" is not of the Lord... I told them I don't have to sell, I'd be happy to show, and if they don't want a commission, well, it is their problem (I know their chairman real well). But now, well, I have an *agreement* with that cultural center, so even if the curch board agrees on Sunday when they meet, I fear they just have to wait until I have enough paintings to show. The early bird, and all that.

The big question: Pricing. What on earth shall I ask for? I know, I know, it is a veritable jungle of advice, that already exists on WC. Many methods. But I have to *decide* on one. Eeek!

And now I'll go and faint!

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: A show!!!

That's great news, Charlie! Do you still have to get all of your paintings framed? I hope you'll take a photo of all of them hanging on display. As for pricing, can you visit some galleries in your area and compare sizes and prices? I know there probably aren't a lot of other pastel artists in your area ( I think you mentioned that) but maybe you can get a general idea. It is hard to decide - I wish there were some rules for us to follow but it seems that there aren't any. Best wishes!

Donna
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
So Cal

Hails from United States

Congrats, Charlie...I'm so excited for you!!! I know your beautiful paintings will be flying off the walls!

Tracy

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

Congratulations Charlie, that's great - and well deserved!!

Merethe

My Website My blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM
epsom surrey uk

Hails from England

WOW!!! Great, Charlie! that's what you might call serendipity, I hope you have lots of success, and sort out your pricing - don't undersell yourself!

Regards
Diane
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pullman, Washington

Hails from United States

Great news Charlie...congrats to you!! That's really "smooth"!

David

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Thank you! I'm still in shock. Of course I'm not ready for a show, but then again, I have never ever done anything in my life when "ready for it". It has always been a "close your eyes hold your nose and jump, and you'll discover if there is water in the pool when you land" experience.

Hubby thinks I should ask for proffessional artist prices. I want to sell, and am rather aware of being an amateur, painting for my own pleasure, so I think way lower prices. But that is "little me"-thinking... Begone that! Diane, you're right!

Would watercolour paintings be equivalent to pastel paintings, price-wise? Matted, framed, glassed, and on paper -- there seems to be several similarities. Or should I go for oil-painting prices?

I've already framed all my pastel paintings! Real cheap poster frames, and I cut mats myself. I've got about 10 paintings ready. So I'll be hidden in a rainbowcoloured dustcloud for the next few weeks, in a painting-frenzy (unless I freeze up totally!), getting at least five more ready. You guys have seen them all, but for sure, I'll photograph the exhibition. Gotta document it for the historians 200 years from now, who'll write books about me. LOL!

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Idaho

Hails from United States

Congratulations! Yes, you will be in a tizzy for the next couple of weeks. Donna's advice is good. Yes, my opinion is that you should price about the same as the "good" watercolors in your area, especially siince they have to be framed similarly. Keep us in the loop and blessings on you for your planning.

My Website -http://heirloomsbyharriett.blogspot.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi Charlie,

Congratulations !
Here's a link with some articles (scroll down to see the list) that I hope may be of some help.
http://www.artbusiness.com/artists.html
Don't forget to take some business cards.
And remember that a smile opens many doors.

Kind regards,

José

P.S. I dunno if you'll be abble to understand swedish though

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Way to go Charlie!! Good luck.

Doug
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Charlie! YEAHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm so happy for you. This is so exciting! Please let us know how it goes and don't forget those photos of them hanging on the walls. For no other reason that to have a visual memory of your first showing!

Ronda
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Southern Utah

Hails from United States

Great news Charlie! Congratulations!
I'm so happy for you and I'm looking forward to hearing you tell us how many paintings you've sold.

Terri
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
San Francisco CA

Hails from United States

Hi Charlie, Congratulations on this excellent opportunity! So well deserved, and it will be so amazing to see a body of your work hanging all in one space.

I would like to pipe in here.... do not sell yourself or this medium short. Your work is just as valuable as an oil painting of similar subject/provenence and experience of the artist. So don't just limit yourself on watercolors for price info.

You have worked hard at your craft and are talented in your own right, so be proud of your accomplishments and enjoy this wonderful time in the spotlight!

Pastel Landscapes in the Plein Air Tradition
www.kimfancherlordier.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Charlie,

How exciting!! Congratulations!!

Don
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

Charlie,

Congratulations! This is such an honor! You must be in a frenzy. We are all your cheer leaders! Be sure to have something there explaining about the quality of pastels, and educate our public for us. It's not only an accomplishment for you but for all of us struggling to get pastels up a notch in the art world. Your work will shine. Oh how I would love to see all of them hanging together.

Carol