WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States
acrylic "interference" paint

In another forum, someone asked about interference paint. I had the opportunity to use some on a mural, and wanted to show its effect, in case anyone is interested in trying it.

Interference paint has iridescent particles in it that catch the light only at certain angles. It can be used for some beautiful special effects.

The fish are painted on a stairway wall, so they are seen at different angles as you ascend and descend the steps. Some of the fish are invisible until you view them at just the right angle, when they shine with iridescent color.

Fun?

Ruth
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2002, 01:25 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
I am just starting a new painting with a peacock feather in it and have been asked 3 times now if I am going to use interference paints. I am not, because all though I like the effect, u can't always see in different lights. Still, I would like to know a bit more about them. Can u mix them with regular oils or would they loose all the iridescence? Can u glaze with them? Just wondering. They do look like they would be fun to play with.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2002, 03:20 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States
Really nice paintings!
I use these paints on a limited basis. The effects you can get with these paints are really nice.
surreal
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2002, 04:04 PM
A Local Legend
Texas Gulf Coast

Hails from United States
What a fun effect! The fish are so pretty. I have used fluorescent paint for a couple of projects for my grandsons, but not the interference..thanks for showing us how this works on actual paintings.

Marcia
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2002, 12:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States
Greetings:

Golden makes interference colours in their 'fluid acrylic' line.

I used to be very adamant about not using any paints or colours that were difficult to photograph. I also have avoided using flourescent colours because they were not lightfast/permanent.

However, the interference colours should be as permanent as any other acrylic-based paints.

Now that I am creating paintings more for puchase and display, rather than reproduction, I find myself considering using interference colours for certain effects.

I will be checking with Golden regarding the permanence of these colours...

Keith.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2002, 02:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Keith, you'll be pleased to know they are totally lightfast - ASTM I in all media.

Einion

P.S. Ruth sorry to be a total pedant, but these pigments are not iridescent, they are refractive. Liquitex's colour book describes the difference between the two types of pigment very clearly for anyone who has access to it; their <a href=http://www.liquitex.com>website</a> might have a similar description on it.

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2002, 11:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States
Enion:

Thanks. I suspected as much.

Keith.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2002, 12:24 PM
wisconsin

Hails from United States
interference paints

If you really want to see what interference paint can do, put down a base coat of the flatest, mattest, blackest paint you have, then paint over it with the interference paint.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Yukon, OK

Hails from United States
I love these kinds of paints. =) Very kewl what you did with the mural. I would have never thought of that!

I was really sad when Golden discontinued their Panspectra line. I didn't get a chance to try them.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2002, 04:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Kerry, in case you weren't aware Liquitex have a good selection of these. I have all of them I think (four) and they work really well, although I wish the particle size was just a teeny bit smaller.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Einion

P.S. Ruth sorry to be a total pedant, but these pigments are not iridescent, they are refractive.

You old pedant, you! I'm so glad there are people like you who know these things. And I learned a new word today!

Thanks!

Ruth
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 09:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Yukon, OK

Hails from United States
Einion, you mean liquitex has paints that are like the panspectra paint by Golden? I've never seen any paints like those before. Not to that level at least.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2002, 08:45 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Checking their book, I saw that Liquitex actually offer six interference shades - Red, Orange, Gold, Green, Blue and Violet.

A good way to remember the difference between the two effects: interference is like an opal while iridescence is like a metallic sheen.

Einion

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2002, 10:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Yukon, OK

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Einion
Checking their book, I saw that Liquitex actually offer six interference shades - Red, Orange, Gold, Green, Blue and Violet.

That's what I thought you mean. Actually, though, the Panspectra line were not interference paints. They were metallic paints that would shift from one color to another. Like Blue to Red, Cyan to Purple, Gold to Silver, Purple to Orange, and Red to Gold. They were VERY expensive, which is one of the reasons they discontinued them. =( But they were also very kewl.

Here's how their website described them.
"Panspectra paints are the result of innovative new technology for creating pigments that change color when viewed at different angles. Their consistency is similar to GOLDEN Fluid Acrylics, or heavy cream. Undiluted, they are opaque when brushed. Panspectra paints are bright, metallic colors that shift from one bright color to another as the viewing angle changes. Panspectra paints are completely different from organic, inorganic, iridescent and even interference paints. They truly are in a class of their own."