WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Question What Type Of Projector Do I Need?

If I want to use a sketch and project it onto a large canvas, so that I can sketch it onto the canvas then paint ... what type of projector do I need?

I'm guessing, an overhead projector? But not sure if there's a specific type I need to do that, one that would 'enlarge' the sketch onto the canvas, is one feature I'd need.

Also, can't spend allot, so may have to look for used ... Ebay maybe, unless somebody knows of another site to look. If I wanted to look local, where would I begin?

Thanks so much!
Diana
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Re: What Type Of Projector Do I Need?

Anybody ???
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
NJ, USA

Hails from United States

What I believe you need is commonly referred to as an Opaque projector. That means a projector that projects an image drawn on a paper or board that is not transparent. These work well with projecting photos or images from books as well.

Here's one from Dick Blick that gives you an idea. They might have other models.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz530/23/

An overhead projector might work well, as long as you do your sketch on transparent media (such as acetate, and I'm not sure if tracing paper is thin enough). These might be easier to find used and at discount, since they're considered low-tech and businesses and schools might want to unload them.

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999.

http://www.jeffgola.com

Last edited by JeffG : 02-28-2008 at 12:29 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG
What I believe you need is commonly referred to as an Opaque projector. That means a projector that projects an image drawn on a paper or board that is not transparent. These work well with projecting photos or images from books as well.

Here's one from Dick Blick that gives you an idea. They might have other models.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz530/23/

An overhead projector might work well, as long as you do your sketch on transparent media (such as acetate, and I'm not sure if tracing paper is thin enough). These might be easier to find used and at discount, since they're considered low-tech and businesses and schools might want to unload them.

Thanks so much Jeff, I'll look at both.

Diana
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
NJ, USA

Hails from United States

Yike, the one from blick that I posted was their most expensive. Here's their other alternatives.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/opaqueprojectors/

There are also lots of projectors made for PC's as well. If you have a laptop and are setup for scanning or sketching on your PC, they might work well. Last week's technology for those can often be bought quite cheaply on the used market, but you have to know what is compatible with what.

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999.

http://www.jeffgola.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG
Yike, the one from blick that I posted was their most expensive. Here's their other alternatives.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/opaqueprojectors/

There are also lots of projectors made for PC's as well. If you have a laptop and are setup for scanning or sketching on your PC, they might work well. Last week's technology for those can often be bought quite cheaply on the used market, but you have to know what is compatible with what.

Jeff, I've been looking at the ones you've listed ... and some others, but I have a few questions:

If I'm understanding it correctly, you can only use a piece of paper that is up to 7" x 7", so if I've drawn my sketch on an 8"x10" or larger, it won't work, is that right? Or am I understanding this wrong?

I do most of my sketching on an 8x10 paper ... sometimes the image or finished sketch, isn't that large, maybe 1/2 that size ...

Just wondering ....

One more thing I thought of: what I'm mainly needing it for, is to enlarge a sketch/illustration that I've drawn on paper, onto a large canvas, so I can then paint it.

Last edited by dd50 : 02-28-2008 at 02:54 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States

Jeff, I think I just answered my own question .... because I could always scan my original sketch into Photoshop and shrink it to the 7x7 or 6x6 size.

But I wonder what type I would need, to project the sketch onto canvas. Would I lay the canvas flat ... or hang it? Does the projector bend to different angles?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi.

Here's the more comprehensive list :
http://www.dickblick.com/vendors/artograph/
This is a more basic model from the list :
http://www.dickblick.com/zz530/14/
And another one, a little better :
http://www.dickblick.com/zz530/11/

I think that some are more to define the edges while others are more to project the whole thing.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 AM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

I tried to use a projector ONCE. I found that when I went to trace the image onto my foundation, my hand and body made shadows and it was extremely hard to get it right.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Hi Diana,

With an opaque projector you can either shrink your image, or divide it up into sections to fit the copy area. If you use a projector stand you can adjust the angle of the projector to match the angle of your surface. Another option is to prop the projector using books until you get the right angle. Just be carefull that the projector doesn't slip off! Depending on how much you want to enlarge you will most likely want to use the Projector horizontally. This way your canvas can be tacked to the wall or secured on an easel.
If you are just wanting to project and trace lines the Artograph Designer Projector will work well.
You can check it out at Dick Blick here:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz530/11/

Tina
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Okay, I know people use projectors for all kinds of projects - and certainly for mural work they could be invaluable.

But, Diana, you're talking about a large canvas (how large?) here... why not draw? There's always a big switch when you go from working small to working large, but, heck, you're an artist. Try drawing!

Failing that, if you're really feeling insecure about this, how about using the grid method?

If moving from 8"x10" drawings to the size canvas you're thinking of still feels too demanding, you could work up to it. Try 16"x20" first (twice the size of your drawings), and then keep moving up.

Not a Luddite, but thinking drawing is a skill we shouldn't overlook,
Karen
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Have you considered using a slide of the sketch and using a slide projector to do the transfer. When other methods fail this may be a viable option. It also helps to make the slide projector a multi use item. You can have digital slides made for not a great deal of money. the slide projector can then also be used for viewing slides for show entries and the likes as well.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn