WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Florida, in a nice sunny spot

Hails from United States
best medium for Illustration

I know everyone probably has a different opinion on this, but I wanted to know what you, as an illustrator, like to use as a medium? And why?

I primarily use colored pencil, as I feel a paintbrush sometimes makes me feel awkward and clumsy as far as the small details go.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: best medium for Illustration

I don't do much illustration any more, but when I did I would do an ink drawing and then colour it digitally. I sometimes colour with watercolour, but I like going digital as you can play with the values and colours more, and clean up any lines that weren't quite right.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

I don't know all mediums have plus and minuses. I have tried many starting with crayon of course. LOL
I guess my favorite is mixing mediums such as water colour with clothing dye and touching it up with coloured pencil. Oh yeah and you can't go wrong with airbrushing it too.

Humm too bad this isn't a poll.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

Best? There is no such thing. Digitally created and delivered work obviously has a lot going for it as far as professional illustration is concerned and there is no doubt that we will be seeing more and more of it in the near future. In fact the best digital artwork no longer screams "made with a computer" and is merely accepted as great artwork by most people without a thought as to medium. But a funny thing happened on the way to the digital revolution, computer technology made more traditional media viable as illustration. in the past illustrators were mostly artist who could work in media that could be reproduced easily and economically by the limited technology of the day. There was a lot of black and white line work (woodcuts, wood engravings, lino cuts, etchings, etc.), maybe some full color gouache with lots of flat planes of solid color that could reproduce easily without breaking the bank and for the highest end, spare-no-expense, publications maybe some oil paintings by the likes of highly trusted and regarded illustrators like Rockwell and Parish. later, acrylics with their fast drying times and saturated colors came to dominate illustration. It was just too expensive to try and reproduce the subtlety of a watercolor or pastel or oil painting and so you didn't see many as illustration. Now however there has been something of a renaissance of oil painting. Get a copy of Spectrum, the yearly review of the best in fantasy and science fiction illustration (the current issue is 14). Maybe I'm biased, but the I think the most cutting-edge and high-quality illustration is in the science fiction genre. You will see almost as many works in oil as you do digital. The same goes for pastel, watercolor and other traditional media that were an anathema for the vast majority of illustration just a few decades ago.

Basically there are more options than at anytime in history for the aspiring illustrator.

BTW I primarily work in digital media. Why? Because it lets me create the images I want to create.
http://TomNackidArt.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thanks, guys. I think probably it's what an artist feels most comfortable with and what he/she's willing to try. Thomas, great stuff - your website is impressive. I'm beginning to work myself back into Photoshop, but my head is spinning as there just is so much out there. I'm more children's books illustration -but even in this area/genre, I think the sky's the limit, as you see more mediums being used than ever before.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I believe that the best way is first to have your idea, what do you like most in other childrenbook illustration, then you find the right medium for you.
Today you can mix anything, the vision is most important, what is it you have to say, whats in your heart. Then let your inner art spirit find the, maybe new expression. Who knows maybe you create art of lard and stone or paint with a finger and chocolate, who know.

I like to mix, I am painting in oil because they have a live on its own. When I am dead they are still around hanging in some houses. With digetal art its a lot like a good meal, it comes up, its paid for and after a while its forgotten.
Lets say I would get a job for a childrenbook, I love the watercolour type,
I would have a go with watercolour, I would draw the page in pencil on water colour paper, scan it into a computer just in case, then I would stretch the paper on board and paint it in watercolour, in case I mess it up I still have the drawing in the computer and paint it there. I have done one painting in watercolour where I felt it needed a little punch, I was afraid I mess it up and scanned the ready painted illustration into the computer and did the little punching up in photoshop, in that way I was never afraid messing up my nice watercolour but still gave it the little extra. You see you can even use both, its not photoshop or paint, you can do both.

cheers
Eckhardt

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Milz

I like to mix, I am painting in oil because they have a live on its own. When I am dead they are still around hanging in some houses. With digetal art its a lot like a good meal, it comes up, its paid for and after a while its forgotten.

Eckhardt

My digital images printed on acid free paper with pigmented inks are rated for 200 years--better than watercolor or pastel and on par with most average quality oil materials--and the printing technology gets better every day! Plus my digital files exist in cybersapce where an unlimited number of copies can be made with absolutely no degradation. As long as you keep updating the media the files are stored on the life of a digital image is virtually unlimited! Put the image out on the net and give people the right to copy it themselves and who knows how long an image will hang around and how far it will spread.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

While computer art can and is superb in its own right, I feel its hard to connect to it on a personal level. And yes, it is a cheep and affordable way to acquire art. But for "me", its the feel of the pencil, pen, or brush in hand, the sound that each make. The surprise of happy accidents. The "personal" challenge for me, is to create something from me, to a canvas, paper, wood...etc... then can always be computer download it if you want and print it out for whatever reason you want.

I do not care if my art is around 200 hundred from now or not. I create art for a personal expression from me, not for someone 200 hundred years from now. But if it dose survive, thats OK, but then I'll not know it

Its all about personal choice, use the medium that "YOU" get the most satisfaction from. Good art is good because of the artists skill and vision, not because of the tool you choose to use. OK OK I'll get off my soap box now
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszurblue
While computer art can and is superb in its own right, I feel its hard to connect to it on a personal level. And yes, it is a cheep and affordable way to acquire art. But for "me", its the feel of the pencil, pen, or brush in hand, the sound that each make. The surprise of happy accidents. The "personal" challenge for me, is to create something from me, to a canvas, paper, wood...etc... then can always be computer download it if you want and print it out for whatever reason you want.

I do not care if my art is around 200 hundred from now or not. I create art for a personal expression from me, not for someone 200 hundred years from now. But if it dose survive, thats OK, but then I'll not know it

Its all about personal choice, use the medium that "YOU" get the most satisfaction from. Good art is good because of the artists skill and vision, not because of the tool you choose to use. OK OK I'll get off my soap box now

Yes it all is about personal choice which is why we all should avoid making sweeping generalizations about any medium we don't know much about or are not proficient in. Digital art can be as personal or impersonal as any other medium. There is certainly no shortage of mediocre, generic, uninspiring art in traditional media. As far as happy accidents go my experience has been that digital media is MORE conducive to those than traditional since you can experiment more freely without worrying about having to start over from square one. Maybe this is more important to working professionals than it is to amateurs and hobbyists.

"And yes, it is a cheep and affordable way to acquire art."

I'm not quite sure what this means unless you are referring to digital REPRODUCTIONS which is not the same thing as digital art.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Sorry guys. Perhaps I shouldn't have labeled this thread "best medium" for illustration, since in reality the best medium is dependent on the person utilizing it. Tom, I used to work for a school publisher as a writer and the graphic artists used to put in so much time and sweat into their designs. I would leave and they would still be at it - and boy, the finished product was a beautiful thing to see. I think art is anything you can use to create your vision, or inspiration - and as I mentioned earlier, your website speaks for itself. I am working on a VERY BASIC design in Photoshop and I feel like a kid holding a big fat crayon for the first time - it's hard! But lovely to see how the sky's the limit!

Personally - I love it all - getting my fingers into each medium - to know and experience them - but also to find what works for me with my personality...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

The three illustrations I have here in the forum are all done in Photoshop and painter. I said that I love to work in the computer for commercial work, when it ends up in a book. There is a freedom of fixing things quickly, changes the AD wants etc which would be a nightmare to work into a watercolor illustration or other type of painting.

still most people I know love to have an original on the wall rather than a digital printed image. Having a digital autograph from my favorite artist is for me not the same than having a real piece of paper in my hand with their handwriting.

A hand painted background from one of the old Disney feature films costs a hell of lot money. A poster of the same scene you can download for free as a wallpaper for your computer. (No value).

We know through history that oil paintings can survive several hundreds of years, from our digital times we donít know nothing yet, the only thing we know are the sales talks.

I still remember the days when the CDs came out. I see clearly the scene in TV when the sales guys where jumping in a pile of CDs to show how indestructible the new and modern CDs are. They said that they could be stamped on, washed, coke splashed on them and still they play the music like new. LOL , today I would love to send these guys my pile of rotten cds who refuse to play even I didnít stamp on them or splashed coke on them.

Eckhardt

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

Once again people insist on spouting off about subjects they no little about. Seems to be an epidemic on Wetcanvas. I grow so weary from all of the pedantic posturing I constantly encounter here!

For a digital image the print is the original art--just as it is for an etching, an engraving, a wood block, a photograph or any of the myriad of other media that use a master plate or negative to produce the final visible artwork. I create, sigh and often modify archival digital prints on fine art paper from my electronic files. They are just as much a work of handmade art as a Rembrandt etching or an Ansel Adams photographic print.

Get it through your heads people--WITH DIGITAL ART THE PRINT IS THE ORIGINAL! There is a difference between a "print" and a "reproduction". If you don't understand that then take an art history class! A "poster" is as different from a fine art digital print as a page torn from National Geographic is different from a photographic print made by Ansel Adams.

As far as the archival quality of digital materials we have much more than sales talk. In fact we have more factual scientific information than most oil painters have. Independent labs regularly test art materials, including inkjet inks and papers. Wilhelm Imaging Research (WIR) is one of the most well known testing organizations, another is The Permanence Institution (IPI).

As with everything you get what you pay for. If you want archival, scratch resistant CDs you can get them, but don't expect the record companies or software vendors to use them. They use the cheapest materials possible.

Once again around here people get so hung up on materials and media and argue about what is the "best" media. What is the "most professional" way to work. I would rather see people discuss the QUALITY of work but that often seems to be an anathema and most would rather see Wetcanvas as a mutual admiration society. Personally i think the world could do with a few less mediocre oil paintings that will clutter up attics for the next 500 years and a few more rally superb images regardless of how ephemeral they might be. Remember this is an ILLUSTRATION form. As illustrators our first duty is to fulfill the clients needs, not stroke our own egos. If you can manage to do both then that's just icing on the cake.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnackid

Get it through your heads people--WITH DIGITAL ART THE PRINT IS THE ORIGINAL! T

I got it, I dont know why you get so wind up. Still I would not like to have a print hanging on the wall. I rather have a original (not print) from one of the great illustrators, than having a original (print) of that great artist.
I believe that there are more digetal artists having problems with this subject than classical illustrators or classical painters, the fact is that many digetal artist are wonderfull in Layout, pasting and coping and layering and blending but they cant draw anymore.

I know quite well that there are great painters in the field of digetal matte paintings but most of the great guys in that field have come from a classical drawing and painting tradition.

Everyone his own taste, just my 2cents!

cheers
Eckhardt

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

Are you always this rude and condescending to people who use media or artistic styles that differ from yours???

Last edited by tomnackid : 02-25-2008 at 10:06 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnackid
Are you always this rude and condescending to people who use media or artistic styles that differ from yours???

I am not rude at all my friend. If you would check our posts with a little selfdistance you might see that I answered another artist in a good spirit.
For one reason or another did you get involved ending up insulting Wetcanvas, calling us names etc.

tomnackid:
Once again people insist on spouting off about subjects they no little about. Seems to be an epidemic on Wetcanvas.

tomnackid:
Get it through your heads people--WITH DIGITAL ART THE PRINT IS THE ORIGINAL!

tomnackid:
Once again around here people get so hung up.....

tomnackid:
I would rather see people discuss the QUALITY of work but that often seems to be an anathema and most would rather see Wetcanvas as a mutual admiration

dont you think that you should check if your house is clean and in order before you want to teach other people how to behave in a forum?

I never spoke to you directly, if the shoes fit you and you put them on, thats up to you. But if I say that a lot digetal artist I know are good in layout, coping, pasting, clipping and using the blending tools. And this shoe doesnt fit you why do you put it on then. If what I say is not true, why are you so wind up and stressed out about it?

If you believe that a print is a original....fine with me, great. If you like to have it hanging on the wall... thats cool too. But why do you feel the need that I agree to your opinion, why are you so upset that you even say that Wetcanvas doesnt see your point of view? Have your view and be happy and I have mine. I dont feel the need that you have to believe like me.
I didnt adress you in the first round but you adressed me.

so be happy and have fun!
cheers
Eckhardt