WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Mixing plaster with acrylic

Have you ever mixed plaster with acrylic paint? I have an idea for a painting and I want it to be heavily textured. I plan on painting this on canvas and I’m not sure how the plaster will stick? I don’t know if the color will mix with the plaster? Any thoughts on this?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States
Re: Mixing plaster with acrylic

Hi Tull. I have never tried this, but it sounds interesting. I have used joint compound on some plaster lawn ornaments and then painted them with acrylics and then used a sealer and that worked. I am not sure it would stick to canvas. Think I would start with a couple of heavy coats of gesso on the canvas first. Sounds like it would work if it is a project that would be used indoors. I need to redo the lawn ornaments every couple of years as the rain and sun do there damage, but it works. I'd say just try it on a small canvas first and see what effect you get. I did see some beautiful 3-D paintings at an art show one time, but I'm not sure how he did it. Keep having fun........Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Bolivia

Hi Tull good to see you.
Two suggestions;
Idylbrush (Howard to most of us) is probably the best person to answer this question for you.
He uses (amazingly, at that) textures on and in his paintings a lot. I would consider him the local legend/expert on this subject!
Look here for a discussion re the subject your question.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...moulding+paste

~~Kathleen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

I have tried using various plasters mixed with acrylics with varying results. Plaster of paris sets up WAY to quickly to work with unless you water the paint down ALOT, even craft paint! Wall plaster mix works somewhat better but again you have to really play with the water/paint/plaster mix. Wall joint compound and craftpaint is a decent mix but you need to add a LOT of paint. Actually all 3 above need a LOT of paint/pigment unless you want pale colors. The best option I found was powdered tempra pigments and joint compound with lots and lots of mixing. The only drawback is all the colors are dull/flat but a clear gloss spray does give them some sheen.

I never tried using the mix on canvas. I used a plywood panel and it took a long time to dry, thinner applications had a tendency to flake off and thicker applications would crack as they dried. All in all as an experiment I listed it as failed.

Depending on what your trying to accomplish in texture etc, I did have much better results using a mix of white glue, clear acrylic glaze, water and tissue or paper towel. soak the paper and use it like modelling clay. You can also add color to the mix. I have used this on canvas as well as repairing halloween decorations. I've even used it to make masks and other props.

There are thicker gesso's and mediums designed just for adding texture that are more recognized as archival but I haven't used them. Im sure someone who has experience with these products will post soon
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

What about applying the plaster without paint for the texture and then painting over it.

Shirl