WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Charging Money for A T-Shirt Quilt! How Much?

I was working for a sewing store for a few days this week. As I was doing some measuring this lady said she had this group of sweatshirts with college logos that she wanted to use for making a quilt for her hubby for his birthday.
I mentioned I make quilts and apparently she doesn;t sew, or sew much and didn;t want to undertake this. I said I might possibly be able to do it for her.
What should i charge her? I would like at least $9-$10 an hour honestly as I;m tired of working for peanuts. I do not know the lady, and so it;s not like it;s a favor for someone. She said she would get the materials to finish the quilt so.. not really knowing yet what the size she has in mind.. She said something about hanging it on the wall so... single bed size I reckon might be its size.
What would you charge for something like this? She also says she wants it by mid February... which is pushing it... If it;s a rush thing, I;m inclined to ask for 50% up front and have some kind of written agreement in writing.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Arecibo, Puerto Rico,

Hails from Puerto Rico
Re: Charging Money for A T-Shirt Quilt! How Much?

I'm terrible with selling or charging for anything, but, for what it's worth, I would think that charging her a flat rate, not hourly, would be the way to go.

Get the measurements and everything involved, a rough time estimate and then charge a flat fee. What that would be, is up to you, and the going rates in your area. Hope that helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Find out how big of a project this is going to be. Figure out how much time you think it will take you to finish the project. Add 50-100% more to your time. Figure out how many hours that is times the rate you want to charge. Now that you have your number, ask for half up front along with the materials. If there is a delivery date, yes have a simple contract that you will deliver the quilt of stated size and composition on the date, and that you expect the balance of what you are charging on delivery.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 PM
In my heart and in my mind!

Hails from United States

I find myself getting asked to make things for people a lot.Once a Blackjack dealer asked me to make him " A Hawaiian colored shark tooth pendant out of glass". I said I'd be happy to but he would have to provide me with 50% of the total up front AND a signed commission contract. Included in this contract was a colored sketch, which I charged for the time to draw and color. turns out his idea of what he wanted was different from mine and I ended up re-drawing and charging until he was happy. Then upon delivery i received the rest of the payment.
My example write up sheet for the shark tooth pendant was like this:
Materials $30 (this was an estimate)
Time 50$ (The actual time making it was the same as corrosponding with him)
Total 80$
Recieved 40$
Balance 40$
My point is that you should get paid what you are worth for every step and always look out for #1. Contracts and payment up front, sketches, all this seems stuffy and a pain but it is worth it to watch your back.
Also DrDerby's idea of over estimating your time by 50-100% is a great because, especially when rushed, projects always seem to take longer that you think they will. And even though you may not pay that much to yourself to make this quilt, the fact that extra time it takes in planning and making a commission is absolutely worth the extra money.