WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States
Weekly Scumble Jan 7 Thru 13

Morning everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

The weirdest thing happened last night and I can't help but wander how many other puppy breeders, as well as sellers of other merchandise who keep a website, have had this happen. I know we all get emails that are scammers out to steal our money, but last night I got two phone calls! It was after 10 PM! They were using something called IP Relay where they were using their computer to make the call. I was instructed by an operator on how to respond, never having heard of this let alone used it! I was put off by the feel of the call and by the fact that the caller wanted information that was right on the website to get.
The way she talked about the puppy as though it was so impersonal.......I don't know, it is hard to explain that part, just an uneasiness. I terminated the call rather abruptly. The second one came a little after 11 PM. Come on people! No one calls that late to talk about buying a puppy! Thank God for caller ID. That one I didn't answer. It was just an unsettling experience. I felt as though my home had been invaded! Maybe an extreme reaction, but it is how I felt. From now on, they stay on the other side of my caller ID.

We have a couple new things going on to kick off 2008. The Pastel Retrospective is up and going well! Show off that best painting of 2007, or just the one you learned the most from. The Pastel Strokes is going again. The first project of the year is being held by yours, truly, and it isn't an animal!!! My grandson, Ethan, is the model. So join in and have fun!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Scumble Jan 7 Thru 13

Weird, Kate. We get calls from a computer (I don't talk to computers) saying "If you are [so-and-so] listen to this message, if not hang up." I just hang up, but the calls are coming more frequently now and sometimes repeatedly in one day. They even come in Spanish, and they're always for someone we don't know. I hate receiving calls late at night! I guess my old brain has decided that if it's past 10 it better be family or an emergency. 'Course, se do get those emergency calls...but my heart beats faster no matter what.

I downloaded the photo of Ethan and noodled round with pastel pencils on top of it, just to see the shapes and colors well. I can't go into the studio yet. Too much writing to do! He's adorable and I like the shot, too... Maybe later.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Foothills of California

Hails from United States

I haven't gotten the computer calls that you mentioned, Kate. But I constantly get faxes late at night. And I've been getting on a regular basis the scam faxes. You know, the "I'm the executor of the estate of some wealthy political or royal person in South Africa and you have been named in the will to receive a kajillion dollars if you would just give me your bank account info"......

Well, I painted this weekend for the first time in almost 2 months. It felt great. And I signed up for a workshop with Margot Schulzke which starts next week. I am hoping I will learn alot from her regarding composition.

Hope you all have a great week.
Diana
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Kate those "phone callls" sound really irritating, and you are fortunate to have caller ID. Living in the Pacific Time Zone, we don't get many "junk calls" that late at night, but I am sometimes awaken before 8 AM - or maybe disturbed is a better word since I'm usually awake about 7.

Deborah, someone once told me that if you don't hang up the phone until the "beep-beep" starts you can tie up their line for that amount of time. Of course you can not hang up for as long as you want and it does the same thing, but that "beep-beep" is annoying! I just lay the phone down where ever and continue with whatever I was doing. I figure I can maybe keep someone else from being annoyed for a few minutes more - LOL Now if some one of you know differently with our present phone lines, I'm going to be really dissappointed!

More than the computer generated calls though are the human calls that don't respect our number being on the do not call list, and then I'm sure we are going to be inundated with political calls from now til the election - those are the most annoying of all! they are never very happy with me because I always tell them I'm an Independent, and won't tell them my opinion not matter what the questions may be, and then when they hang up, I leave the phone off line until the "beep-beep"

Diane you are going to have a wonderful time in Margot's workshop. There is a WC member we've not heard from in awhile who has taken many of her classes and always gave glowing reports about what she learned. As I recall, composition was one of the lessons she learned a whole lot in.

Speaking of workshops, I'm going to Donna Aldridge's workshop in March on using Pan Pastels. An Artists' Angel is providing a place to stay, and my dear husband said he'd use some of his thousands of frequent flyer miles for my air fare. I can hardly wait both to see Donna, and learn directly from her.

Peggy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAVID PATTERSON!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DUSTY FRIEND!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Paula
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pullman, Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Ford
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAVID PATTERSON!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DUSTY FRIEND!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Paula

Thank you Paula...you sing just as bad here too!

David

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID!! MANY MANY MORE TO COME!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pullman, Washington

Hails from United States

Thank you Katherine! I'm not really getting any older...I'm just gathering a little more dust!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
A Local Legend

Happy Birthday Good Buddy

Hope you get a new 'orange' shirt and some 'blue' socks! If not, a bunch of the 'new fad' Pan Pastels!

Have a great birthday! 'blue....'
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Happy b'day David

amazing how Paula knows these things!

Peggy
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pullman, Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyB
Happy b'day David

amazing how Paula knows these things!

Peggy

Thank you Peggy...I know, you'd think Paula and I were good buddies or something!

Thanks fish person...nope, no orange or blue items this birthday!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

David - that's why they invented Pan Pastels... so they can be applied to the wrinkles... not that you have any of course.... Happy Birthday.

So.. Is anyone interested in taking a week-long workshop with Bob Gerbracht? He is offering a workshop in February for a week in San Jose, CA at University Art and if you can afford the time and money, I find his sessions extremely helpful. I studied with him 2 nights a week for 4 years and attended his workshops. He's specifically focusing on the portrait and figure.

Anyway... I have details and I'll post them after anyone expresses interest.

His web site doesn't have the information but it's the week of Feb 25th

Just thought I'd pass it along.

As for news... not much to report. It's raining a lot in the Pacific Northwest and I've been less than creative.... B

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Perth, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Just checking in to say Hi to Everyone here. Just back from Hyperbaric Treatment and am going to go and have a Nana Nap.

We just had our Spa delivered so hopefully in the next few days we should have it up and running.Kate, it's the Telemarketers that irritate me phoning up at meal times.

Happy Birthday David.

Take Care Everyone
Love Carolynn
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pullman, Washington

Hails from United States

Thanks for the birthday wishes Barb & Carolynn! Almost over!