WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Cool Homemade Cardstock Watercolor Sketchbook Ideas

O_o; longish title.

I have a bit of cardstock at about 110lb I think. It is sized as the same size as computer printer paper. 8x10 I think. I am planning to take some of it and make some of it into a watercolor sketchbook for some of these new watercolor markers I bought. They are pretty new to me. You draw/paint out the picture with the markers, the use a wet brush over it. So far, they are working well. I just thought it would be neat to hear some of your ideas on making a watercolor sketchbook with it. Thanks! ^^
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: Homemade Cardstock Watercolor Sketchbook Ideas

ok, i saw the number of views and the time, so i think this might not be too practicle -_-; I guess i could fiddle around with it and maybe find something.

With any paper in watercolor sketchbook making, what would you use for a cover???
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I've never made my own sketchbook. I've bought many - some worked with light watercolor washes or markers, some didn't. Before you go through the trouble of making a sketchbook, try your w/c markers on the paper and see if you like it. Does it bleed through? Does it buckle too much? Does it take the paint well?

Another question - is it archival - that is, acid free. In case you want to keep these sketches for posterity, you don't want them to yellow and get brittle over time.

Not much help, was I?

Michelle
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Zach... firstly... you're incredibly impatient! Your initial post was up for only a couple of hours before you looked in again... It's the weekend and people are off doing what they do...

I made a watercolour journal for myself before the New Year... I used 140# cp paper and tore it into 7 x 9.5" pages... Using a three-hole punch (adjusted to fit the paper), I punched each of the pages... I used really thick, heavy cardboard for the covers... And then I just used three metal rings to keep everything together...

I love it already... I've been using my wc pencils to make my journal entries and sketches...

I'm not sure that cardstock will give you what you want... it depends on what you want to do in your book... If you plan to draw in it, it will probably work... but if you want to do any watercolour, it may buckle terribly... you should probably experiment before going to the trouble of making up your book...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

They work alright on the paper. The only blending trouble I have come across was when I used a little bit more water to try to washout some of the color. Waht do you mean by does it buckle too much? I am not sure though wether or not it is acid free, I will go and check soon.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I am a bit impatient, and I really need to work on that.

Yeah, I am starting to think that the cardstock won't be of much help. The book you made sounds neat. I might try it. I think at the moment though, I haven't had as much practice as I would need to actually be making a sketchbook yet. Thanks!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

But Zach... it's the PERFECT place to begin practicing!!! Don't be discouraged so quickly! Nothing ventured, nothing gained... The beauty of a sketchbook is that you can take it with you ANYWHERE!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Oh, oops. I will still be using a sketchpad. i wasn't discouraged. I was kind of just thinking that if I were to buy and expirement with sketchpads, I would know what works best for me if I were to make one. That is my favorite part of art in general, taking it anywhere. ^^
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

Here's another idea for making your own sketchbooks. I have some of this product and it's good quality materials & workmanship. They sell the paper & sketchbooks too, but you can just get the rings & covers and makeyour own. On the Inspiral binding, the holes are punched with a GBC comb-binding puncher that any copy shop has. The Kooolbind format uses the good old 3-hole punch for the rings. The difference between this and loose rings is that these are stabalized with a strip, so it's not flopping around on you. Plus the covers are a very stiff and sturdy plastic that makes a great support for sketching and painting.

http://www.komtrak.com/

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2008, 06:11 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

very neat, lpb! I might try these. Thanks! ^_^
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Hi Skittlezcanpaint2 -- Welcome! I make my own watercolor sketchbooks too!

The paper I like, use, and recommend is Strathmore Aquarius II. It is heavy enough to take multiple watercolor washes and scrubbings, yet smooth enough to be a delight for pen sketching and for writing. I buy it in big sheets and cut it down to sketchbook page size. I bind the paper using the "Rollabind" system, so I can take pages out, add ones, and re-arrange them as I like. For heavy covers (since you can’t punch holes in heavy cardboard using the Rollabind hole puncher -- the cardboard won't fit in it!), I order the heavy duty cardboard “Crafters Covers” from Rollabind and then cut them down to my sketchbook size. Covered with some tough cover paper, they survive quite nicely in my everyday bag.

Jan
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks Jan, I shall try that. It is nice that there is some places that sell things to be used with binding. I am used to sewing and pasting books together that I use. This should be nice to use. Thanks!
Zach
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

would love to see a photo of what one of your homemade sketchbooks look like, especially if you are sewing and all...post a pix!

Jen
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

ok, I will try to find one. The last time I made some of them, I made four. I gave one to my little sister, one to a friend, and I think I kept two of them. I might actually still have one I made for a trip to my grandmother's house when I was in about 6th grade I think.

EDIT: I looked in all of the places I could think of. I remember throwing away one that I ended up using for a school assignment booklet, but I know I still had one on my bookshelf still. I can't find it...

I think I remembered how I made it. I didn't have a sketchbook at the time because I had left mine at my Aunt's house in Georgia. They had to mail it back. I think I just took a bit of paper and some wallpaper and cut it to the size I wanted to. Then I just used the sewing machine right down the middle. I might have sewn the pages together and then pasted it to the wallpaper piece.
I hate myself for loosing it. I really liked that thing.
I will still try to look for it though. I really hope I can find it. -_-

Last edited by skittlezcanpaint2 : 01-07-2008 at 07:57 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast
Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I haven't done much with sketchbooks but I do like watercolor blocks. I had an old 9x12" pad that was just sitting around in favor of an Arches Block of the same size, so I cut the pad in half and made a 6x9" watercolor block using padding cement. Great for sketching and fits nicely in my watercolor travel kit.
troutbum