WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Help!! SERIOUS wax bloom issue!!

I just got back from my best customer's house, and saw that on a few of the pieces...but not all...that I did for him 2 years ago, have wax bloom..terrible.

I spray all of my pieces 3 times. I think the difference must be in the brand. Of course, I can't remember what I used when, I did his pieces over a period of months.

Anyone with pieces that developed wax bloom after spraying?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Immortalized
Salt Lake City, UTAH

Hails from United States
Re: Help!! SERIOUS wax bloom issue!!

Yes. The only thing you can do is take the picture apart, rub with a soft cloth, and then reframe them. It is very frustrating.

But your work is so good, that I can't see how the piece would dare develop wax bloom.
Midge
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Ha, ha!!! Thanks, Midge, you are so sweet!! What's scary is that I have more than a hundred commissions all over the country, I hate to think that they are wax blooming! I have pieces here that I won't part with that are 5 years old and they aren't blooming. I know I used Krylon uv on them.

Underneath the bloom, the colors were fine, they hadn't faded at all, btw, and one of them we took out of the frame because he wanted me to fix something that wasn't quite right.

So the bloom is the only issue. If I figure it out, I'm going to email all my "old" customers and offer to clean/respray them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 PM

Hails from Switzerland

maybe a silly question.

But what is 'wax blooming"
and what can be the reason?

Is it the same as oil paint 'cracking'
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I use Prismacolor Final Fixative (Matte) and have had good results so far. Have not experieced any additional wax bloom after spraying even after a couple of years. I have one piece I did in 2004 and it is still good.

dhara: Wax Bloom is a milky white haze that appears on the surface when you use wax based pencils such as Prismacolor especially in a heavy layer such as burnishing. It is mainly noticable on darker colors. Time and temperatures cause the wax in the layers of pencil you have applied to rise to the surface of the drawing and form a haze. You can use fixative to correct this during and at the end of the drawing, and you will notice that the haze disapears once you spray with the fixative and let dry. Oil based pencils do not produce this wax bloom.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

Robin, I couldn't believe you posted a thread with the word "Help" in it! All kidding aside...do you spray with workable fixative during the work, then spray with permanent fixative (laquer) when it is finished? It is hard to believe after 3 layers that there would be wax bloom.

Are all Prismacolors wax based? I'll have to check to see if mine says wax or oil based. I have not seen Prismacolor matte fixative, but I will have to look for it.

Thanks for the education about wax bloom, Ittybit. Thanks for sharing your problem with us, Robin, so that we all can learn how to avoid it, too.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Oh, Char, we are all here to help each other, I hope!!

Yes, Prismas are wax based, and I burnish everything. What was funny was that not all of them "bloomed" even though they were done within weeks of each other. (I've done portraits of every dog this fellow has ever had, including the 2 I just finished, bring the total to 9!)

I don't remember if I sprayed workable fixative in between. I don't often. I do recall that around that time, I tried some of the fixatives folks here suggested, because there was criticism of krylon at the time. Maybe it was one of those experiments. But I think maybe I'll switch to the prismacolor one, maybe since it's made by prismas, it will work best?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

Robin, it seems like your problem might have been more with the fixative than with wax bloom. From what I've read, under certain conditions uv coatings can cause a "milky" or "hazy" appearance that could look like wax bloom.

I usually spray between layers with workable fixative to set the pigment and refresh the surface for further work, but I give the finished drawing only a light spray, if any.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Hails from Switzerland

hmm if i read this i might get some better fixating stuff as well.

I use just simple hairspray to fixate parts of my drawing during my work process. I do not fixate at the end.
Sounds like not such a good idea to use hairspray since i do not know what it does with the wax.

Although the drawings 'smells' very nice
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

A friend of mine had trouble with wax bloom. The culprits were the reds from prismacolor. She had sprayed hers at least three times. She had to take it out of the frame to respray. so far the bloom has not returned but she really resprayed it a number of times.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone...I actually removed one of them from the frame. It's definitely wax bloom, I rubbed it right off. It was all over. But again, it was only a few of the ones I did. I always burnish, I'm sure that makes it more likely to bloom. I didn't use red on any of them, but did use a lot of the reddish browns.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Question -- do those of you who use drafting film spray those pieces?

Linda
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast, USA

Hails from United States

I was wondering about spraying film, too - and would the spray change any film areas left bare?

Robin, thanks for starting this thread - and glad you were able to fix the bloom! - did you find any fading in your pieces?

HollyA
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

I always spray my portraits with workable fixative when finished, and sometimes, in between layers. After hearing that I should be using permanent fixative, I have used that on my last couple of portraits. (I'm going to buy some Prismacolor fixative, too). I am going to try the drafting film soon, so I would be interested in the answer to Linda and Holly's question about spraying film.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

If one wanted to test their pencils for propensity to bloom, do you think it could be done by making dense swatches and then putting the sheets in a warm oven for a few hours?