WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Smile Can you watercolor on hotpress illustration board?

I want to do a mixed media picture including pencils, oil and watercolor but my board is hot pressed. I am not sure if it has enough tooth. I dont want to go through a lot of work just to figure out that it doesnt work. Can anyone help?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States
Re: Can you watercolor on hotpress illustration board?

It would be great if you could do some quick tests on another piece of the same board. That is what will best answer your question. My concern would be a lack of sizing which could make your w/c behave in unusual ways. If the board is not intended to be wetted, it could warp, wrinkle, delaminate, overly absorb w/c etc. I'd hate to see you begin creating a beautiful piece, only to be disappointed in the results. A quick test is the best way to know for sure!

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 PM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

Watercolors will work if you don't work too thick, wet or in many layers. Applying WCs too thick will cause bronzing and keep moisture on the surface too long. As Lorraine mentioned bubbling and delamination is an issue if you use too much water. Watercolor paint will easily lift off of illustration board if you disturb it too much.
***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." Anonymous!*** http://www.lauradicus.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Australia

Hails from Australia

Can i suggest you try working on a smooth watercolour board like the Daler-Rowney board instead of working on a straight illustration board? They are pretty much the same but this has wc paper as the surface & is designed for wc use. Even the medium surface (NOT) is fairly smooth & i am able to achieve great glazing & detail on this surface.

It would also make a wonderful surface for pencil...dont know about oils? Someone will have better knowledge of this than me, but Daler-Rowney have been great for answering my questions so far.

It is a little dearer, but i love it & i think it would work well for you. Good luck!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Been There, Done That! Except I didn't use any oils.... Watercolor will lift nearly completely. It will also "build" up if applied to thick and dry crumbly. It is fun and exciting though, expect the unexpected on that surface! Use a Cresent 100 weight... it is very thick and will hold up better. it also comes in cold press as well as rough... the cold press does have a little more tooth, but is still very smooth.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

I have used Crescent watercolor board. It is essentially 140 lb paper laminated to a mount board. Mine was between hot press and cold press. Enjoyable to work with.

Sample below.

Steve - Toledo
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:46 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

Hi
Susan Harrison Tustain has a couple of dvd's and she uses hot press pretty much exclusively.

I have tried her method and it works great.

Her secret is to wet just the area your going to paint. Then just as the shine goes away rewet the area again. Then start painting. Don't over do it with a lot of paint. Just add a little at a time. Remember what you see when you paint in watercolour will lighten up quite a bit.

I really recommend her dvd's to anyone. I have her book and all her dvd's .. She is awesome to watch and learn from.

Johnnie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

One tip that I've read about--not sure where exactly--was to rub wax (the kind that is sold with canning supplies; just make sure it's the block kind, not the little beads...) on the edges of your board. It's supposed to keep the layers from separating which WILL happen if you work really wet; might help with warping too. I haven't tried it (yet) but I hope this helps...

I've used Crescent too and loved it...lot of fun!

Michele

"Insanity--Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"...Albert Einstein
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Springfield, Ohio

Hails from United States

What a wonderful idea! Wax on the edges!

That sounds like it might be parafin? Does anyone know?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

Yes Donna, parafin is the wax used for canning.
***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." Anonymous!*** http://www.lauradicus.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

w/c board is all I used for a few years, Crescent and Strathmore. It's especially good in you're doing things like sticking tissue paper to it, collage, etc. Varnished, it's easy to frame without glass since it already has its own backing. Valfred Thlin used lots of w/c board, and I just put a big post about him on my blog that might interest you:

http://nicholassimmons.blogspot.com/