WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Sudbury, MA

Hails from United States
Scavenger Hunt #68

Welcome to Scavenger Hunt #68. Come and join us in the fun.

If you've done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we'd really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Art From Life forum:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are our rules for this Hunt:
  • All items on the list must be sketched from life- not imagination or photo
  • Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participents.
  • You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
  • All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its palce on the list. Do them in wahtever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from one to 26.
  • Do as many or as few items as you like; you don't have to finish the entire list to participate! Scavenger Hunt # 68 will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
  • Please tell us the size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!
SCAVENGER HUNT # 68 DECEMBER 23 -JANUARY

I'm hosting my first hunt..so sorry this is late coming up, but I've spent the day making Christmas dinner and delivering it to a needy family and finishing the Buche de Noel took longer than I expected. Really. Some of this might be influenced by the fact that we have over 2 ft. of snow and ice.

Here goes:

A clamp
A door handle or knob- Challenge: the whole door
A hinge
kitchen clock
A musical instrument
Your knee
An ear
A nose- Challenge: 3 different views
Something black
A bathtub
An egg
An orange
A potato
Piece of jewelry
Pair of glasses
Your studio (area) in ink in 10 min. or less
A wine bottle (or soda or whatever if you need to)
A comb
Your favorite pen
A flashlight
A pet (come on, (if you don't have one, be creative)
A bottle of soy sauce
Your favorite mug or cup
Your favorite pen
A mushroom
A profile

Happy Hunting! Best Holiday Wishes!

-Ellen

A
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt #68

Great list!!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 08:21 AM
WC! Guide

After this hunt we only have two more hosts lined up. Anyone want to volunteer?

Merry Christmas everyone.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Merry Christmas!

#1 door knob - with whole door
#2 hinge
#3 bath tub
#4 musical instrument

all in.7mm B in 8.5 x 5.5 in sketch book

Joe
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 02:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Joe - I like your 3-in-1 sketch with the doorknob, hinge, and the bathtub in the back. Nicely done. Great job on the musical instrument...looks very Native American.

I printed out the hunt list. I'm sure I can find many of these things to sketch while I'm visiting up here in Maine, and then post them when I get home. Good list, Ellen.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Sudbury, MA

Hails from United States

Joe-

Wow! Three in one blow! Great idea, and super sketch. I especially like the flute- there must be a story behind that.. and Happy Holidays.

Joan- Have a wonderful time in Maine, which didn't get half the snow that Boston has...which is why it is an indoor list
Merry Christmas.

Jeanne- I'll take the next one that hasn't been taken. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas--and so glad Bozo (I hope I got it right) is better without an expensive and exhausting trip to the vet.

Ellen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 08:03 PM
WC! Guide

Thanks Ellen. This one is yours: Scavenger Hunt #71: (Jan 16-Jan 25) Ellen (Curly). I took the following one #72.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 PM
WC! Guide

#1 potato
#2 orange
#3 bottle of Tabasco (I grabbed the wrong bottle so subbing for soy)
#4 mushroom (soup)
#5 cup
#6 sparkling cider bottle for wine bottle

I misnumbered on the scan.
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2007, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Ellen - Hope your snow has started melting. Luckily I took photos when we first got up here, cause most of the pretty snow is gone. It's been very mild so lots of it has melted. Hope you're not burried in it.

Jeanne - That's a wonderful still life! It would make a cute card. I like the sparkling cider in the back...just enough of it showing. The potato came out great, and I love the tabasco sauce bottle.I'm pretty sure I can do hunt #73. I just need to check the dates on my calendar, but I'm fairly sure I'll be home at that time of year...so put my name down. You'll have to let me know if there are any secrets to putting all the info in at the beginning without retyping it.

We're at a lull before Christmas dinner, so I've been sketching a bit and grabbed my brother-in-law's computer to check in. We're heading home tomorrow, and are catching the ferry at 5 pm. I plan to sketch on the ferry ride...there's always a captive group of models.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2007, 05:12 PM
WC! Guide

Joan no secret. Just cut and paste from the one before you. And change any dates.

Glad you are having a great time in Maine. I am cold enough here. Don't need Maine cold.

I will add you to #73. Just let me know if it turns out not a good time.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Merry, merry Christmas, Everybody!

Joe, I really like your little bathroom scene! For some reason, interior scenes are very intimidating to me. I think I need to do a bunch of them this winter to overcome that insecurity. You just dive right in and do a fine job! Is that an Indian flute? I remember seeing one played at a pow-wow last year and it was quite impressive. Love the earthy sound.

Jeanne, your little still life is so vivid and colorfully busy. Love it to bits, especially the tobasco sauce and the can with the pull top.

I did a little sketching with a Prismacolor pencil and watercolors while waiting for dinner to heat up. 8x10, across a two page spread in my sketchbook:

Jeanne, I'll add myself to the hosting list too. Thanks so much for keeping things organized!

The Jerry's Artarama store nearest me is having a 20% off sale tomorrow! Woohoo! Guess where I'm going. LOL

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 12-25-2007 at 06:47 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jeanne - Love the still life. Great colors. Agree with Joan T that would make a great ATC!! Don't recognize the cider bottle but definitely the Campbell's soup and the Tabasco!! By now I think the list is out in the February time frame which should be okay for me so sign me up after Jamie.
Joan T - Enjoy your trip home. Will you share your ferry sketches even if they don't fit the hunt?
Curly - Thanks.
Jamie - Your still life is beautiful!! I normally hate interiors also as I usually screw up the perspective but in this case the walls slant away after they leave the tub and it seemed easier. I collect various Native America crafts and artifacts including flutes.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

#5 Kitchen clock - The one on the stove is all there is in the kitchen
#6 knee - my knee, I used artistic license and didn't draw any hair.
#7 something black - black sweat pants pushed up to draw the knee

Joe
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Sudbury, MA

Hails from United States

Jeanne- What a lovely still life! The colors are so vibrant- I don't blame you for using the Tabasco-artistic license- the soy wouldn't have been half as colorful.

I tried to cut and paste the text and it didn't work into another window so I had to type (grrr) the whole thing out....

Joan- Actually, the snow has melted quite a bit. So now its at the ugly and drippy stage.

Jamie- I like your watercolor sketch. Do you really decant your soy into another bottle?

Here's #1,2, and 3. All done with a scratchy pen that was just about out of ink...#4- different pen that still has some ink left- #5-same pen, less ink now, #6- almost out of ink again...

Hope everyone had a blast yesterday. We didn't get our traditional Chinese dinner and a movie because the son had to be picked up at the airport. It's sure nice to have a day when stores aren't open and no errands can be run.
-Ellen
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Sudbury, MA

Hails from United States

they didn't print in the right order, so: #1-3- orange, potato, egg; #4- clamp;
#5- knee; #6- soy.
-Curly
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Curly - I really like the line quality in the clamp and your knee!! The leg reminds me of one of those Picasso drawings.

Joe