WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:25 AM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
How to cut Ampersand board

You can you know!

But you need a rotary saw on a saw table where you can put a guide for the width you want, know the ones I mean?

To protect the edges of the clayboard use masking tape. Work out where you want to cut, tape so that the cut line goes down the middle of the tape (roughly). Then set your saw table with the guide so that the size is right.

It's not hard to cut - if you have that saw and saw table! But it's probably easier, if you have a particular size in mind and really want to use Ampersand, to ask them to cut it for you! They do!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast
(the big house)

Hails from Slovenia
Re: How to cut Ampersand board

Just a suggestion, if clean edges mean much to you:
When carpenters cut the bottoms of hollow core doors, they often first score the outer layer of the wood with a razor knife to avoid splintering when the circular saw blade cuts the wood. They also use masking tape, as you suggest, but usually in conjunction with the score mark. Since scratchboard doesn't have a grain like wood, splintering might not be a concern, but flaking could be. Scoring might help minimize the flaking.
(Remember the other thing carpenters always try to do: cut on the "waste" side of your score line.)

Use a straightedge when making your score mark - and watch where you put your fingers!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

This is very good information to have, thank you. Thank you both.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

Being able to cut your own board has HUGE advantages! You'll be able to re-size the boards to exactly the size you need at YOUR convenience, and, You can save some money, too!! 9x12 boards are $4.62 ea at blick, or you can get a 24x36 for $17.50 and cut it into 8 9 x12's, at about $2.19 each! That's less than half.

I haven't cut Scratchboard- But I have cut a LOT of gessoboard, and the cutting is the same. A few pointers-

-The saw itself- The best is a table saw, as you mentioned. You CAN use a band saw, or even a hand saw, but they will be trickier!! The saw itself is nothing more than a motor spinning a blade- the BLADE is the important part! Ideally, a fine-toothed blade is what you need, they are designed for cutting panels smoothly- The blades with fewer teeth are usually for rougher cuts on lumber.

-Tape- It works!! It will reduce the chipping on the board. As mentioned, put it close to the cut line, and cut right through it.

I don't know about the scoring, as I have never tried it, but it might help if you have problems with chipping.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 04:18 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

if you tape over the ink on a clayboard, will you pull up the ink when you take the tape off?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast
(the big house)

Hails from Slovenia

I use the blue painter's tape that you find in paint or hardware stores. It doesn't have the same adhesive as regular masking tape, so it doesn't cure onto the surface or leave a residue. I just tried it on a board covered with india ink and it didn't pull any ink or leave a residue; I left the tape on about 10 minutes, and I really pressed it down just to give it the harshest test. You never want to leave any kind of tape on too long, even the blue tape, just to avoid curing. If you're masking for cutting a board, the tape shouldn't be on more than five minutes or so, I'd guess.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

heck..all this time i have been cutting my with a hachet!!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Southfield, Michigan

Hails from United States

Rod-man, how did u get those large pieces that you work with anyway?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Battle Creek, Michigan

Hails from United States

My husband recenty cut down an Ampersand board for me with a band saw. That worked very well, too.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast
Canada

Hails from Canada

my hubby cuts mine for me too - works a treat. Get a little bit of flaking, but nothing that doesn't disappear when you take a nail file to the edge and sand or bevel the edges to equalize everything. Some of my cut boards end up with a small white border around the edge where the clay was exposed and then bevelled...but it makes it look neat and tidy, and gets hidden in the frame anyway.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Finland

Hails from Finland

Ooo.. Where to find a good saw... When I first ordered my very big board from Ampersand, it came in mail broken. They replaced it promptly (I am still in awe - I let them know on Thursday the board was damaged and got a replacement on Tuesday morning. And that meant delivering it from USA to Finland in that time...) But I could perhaps use half of it, if I could have it cut..
Just didn't have the heart to throw it away.

Leena