WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
Angry WHAH.... REALLY upset!!!

Finally had a nice sunny day outside so I thought I would spray a few of my pieces that I have completed. I had a bit left in the bottom of one of my cans of ampersand clayboard fixative which I shook really well and sprayed my Cheetah with. Then I look at the piece and it sprayed some sort of white flakes all over the entire piece!!! I think it has totally ruined the piece... feel sick to my stomach right now as I was really happy with that piece and had planned to enter it in a jurried art contest. The white dots are really small, but very noticable. I've tried to wipe them off wiht both a dry and slightly damp rag and no suck luck. I can sort of scrape them off with my fingernail, but there are thousands and it still leaves an impression. I am at a loss as to what to do, other than go have a good cry.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Re: WHAH.... REALLY upset!!!

Rats, Cathy! I'm crying with you...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 02:35 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

I wrote to ampersand- and hope they have a solution for me.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Cathy, I have had that happen to me with Krylon on pastel but the piece was not that important so I spayed again and it improved but better wait for the Ampersand people to find a solution for you. I'm so sorry about that.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

IF they don't, and IF it really seems ruined, how about a very light sanding followed by new spray? Worth a try.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Just got off the phone with Andrea at Ampersand, who was quite helpful. She believes that it the dots are likely to be caused by the cool weather (nice day in winter here is 50) that I sprayed it in. I guess in temps less than 70 degrees the spray solidifies as you are spraying and you can end up with this as a result. Humidity can also cause this result she told me.

On the plus side she said respraying in a warmer temperature should disolve the specks. She is sending me some sample boards to try and recreate the specks so that I can try respraying it and make sure that will get rid of them before I do it on my actual art. She said all is not lost and she is pretty sure she can fix the piece. If I am not able to get rid of the specks on the sample pieces she told me I could send the piece to them and they would try to fix it. All and all she was very helpful and I am feeling quite a bit better that the issue can be resolved.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Southfield, Michigan

Hails from United States

Wow, i like amperstands response to helping you! Hope it all works out!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 PM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Ampersand is a great company - and I'm not talking about the products. I'm so glad that they are keeping up with such wonderful help! I hope that the piece is fixed in time for the show!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Interesting thread. At the very least, we'll all learn something.

Is it possible for you to take the piece to some heated room and try it out sooner rather than later?

Please keep us up to date with the result.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Clancy, Montana

Hails from United States

I had a similar thing happen to me with my canoe piece, with the spray turning white. The room I sprayed it in was quite cool (Montana, you know) and the spray turned white on the piece (it was claybord matte fixative). Having a Y chromosome and thus being biologically unable to ask for directions or help, as you have so wisely done, I sprayed it again with a gloss laquer which I use as a final coat on fish carvings. It dissolved the previous fixative and the white disappeared. I would try what your sources suggest, but if it doesn't work you might try this.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:14 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

OK... I admit that I didn't wait and took the piece in my bathroom (a toasty 73 degrees) and sprayed it again, rather than waiting the 10 days for her sample pieces to arrive... and YEAH 99% of the white flecks did disolve and what is left is not noticable at all. I am so relieved and happy that there was such an easy fix to the problem. So now I know I can't spray outside in winter time.

I tried the krylon kamar spray on some of the other pieces and really like the result- it makes the black much blacker than the ampersand spray. It is kind of glossy, but not over the top shiny. I don't like the way it goes on as well (a much heavier wet layer which takes much longer to dry) but do like the final result. I will respray a few pieces with a few more coats soon.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 AM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

So glad it worked out for you, Cathy!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

Man, Cathy, what an emotional rollercoaster for you, of course, but also for us as we read this thread! I'm so happy that the fix worked for you - it's a beautiful board, truly. Could you please post an update photo of the fix - my poor visual mind gets stuck on the last thing I saw... which is kinda depressing in this instance.

And, yes, Ampersand is an excellent company that really understands the importance of customer service. I've never had anything other than friendly, fast, informed responses from them every time I've had a question about their stuff. Yay Ampersand!!

And Dave, you are hysterical... "Y chromosome"

- Tania

Last edited by tanianault : 12-20-2007 at 12:09 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
A WC! Legend
My part of the universe

Hails from United States

Cathy:
That could have been a real heartbreaker!!! Glad it's working out!
Will you be posting the finish??
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

So glad it all worked out well in the end. Could you post a pic of the whole work?