WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Dana Design

Caesar

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Caesar
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24 in
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
A very special Christmas present for my son. Caesar passed away this year. He was a very dear dog.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Good, bad, ugly comments...all welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Caesar

It's delightful! and I'm sure your son will love it. Paint application and warmth of colouration are perfect. My only nit might be the cropping of the paws out of the piece -- I think maybe having the full crossed legs would have made a more interesting composition. But it works fine nonetheless.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

fabulous

should it be a bit darker in the depths of his mouth?

i love dogs, hate to loose them, condolences : )

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

the pooch is great, just don't like the way the front legs are positioned. Overall though you have rendered a nice painting...........Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

What a nice painting. I'm sure you remember Caesar like he was and I'll bet this painting represents him well. I would be very pleased to receive such a special gift as this.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Kitty Hawk, N.C.

Hails from United States

Looks like a long hair St. Bernard, am I wrong.....? One of ours, we have 3 St. B's, sets around like that, arms crossed, all the time.... Happy looking expression on his face, nice job on your painting. I don't look forward to the day that I lose any of mine, sorry for your loss..... I too agree on the inside of the mouth, not being dark enough... Oh, and no slobber/drool either....!

Last edited by obxbear : 12-17-2007 at 08:40 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
A Local Legend
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

Dana
I still miss my Westie, Miss Muffet, so condolences.
Caesar looks like a special dog, indeed, and you've captured his individuality nicely
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

I really like the way his sitting and his eyes looking up.

I guess you could darken in his mouth a little.

Is there a darker shadow coming from hs body on the right mixed in with that body of darks? It really needs two values of darkness there..

I have a reeally delightful and poignant poem for when pets pass away. Pm me if you want a copy to put on the back of the painting..

JJ
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Dana Design

Thanks to all for taking the time and effort to give me your comments. They are much appreciated!

For those who mentioned it, the inside of his mouth is especially light past the little dark spots on his tongue and I was fearful of creating a 'dark hole' had I darkened it any further.

oxbear, LOL, he's a long hair, 'dry' St. Bernard, no drooling at all. There are the wet and dry 'varieties' apparently and I've seen the wet ones. Shake of the head and everything and body is covered with drool. Funny!!! Caesar contracted cancer several years ago and after a lengthy bout of chemo, it gave him 4 more years of a very good life.

laudesan, yes there are 2++ values of darkness in there but the camera just didn't pick it up. Actually, the background has around 8 - 10 different shades all gradual and working one into the other. And I'll PM you!

Thanks again!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Sorry to hear of your loss of Caesar, I am a dog lover too. His personality will live forever in your beautiful painting. The only thought I have is that you might have included all of the front legs as the others have said and cropped a little of the hind end instead, which would have moved him more into the center of the painting. This way your eye would not be led out of the painting by the front legs. All in all a great painting, your son will love it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Dana Design

ittybit, good suggestion! Wish I'd thought of that sooner. Thanks for your comments. Next time!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

Beautifully done Dana. I love the color harmony, you have demonstrated what few colors it takes to make a dazzling color feast for the eyes, This one is warm and inviting. having had a St Bernard myself, I know the portrayal and the feeling are appropriate. Unfortunately in our case "Druella" was the wet variety, very wetly affectionate...

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
New England

Hails from United States

Hail Caesar! Great colors, fur effects, lighting, personality. The lower jaw seems a little jutted forward to me, but maybe Caesar does that, and in fact he seems to be looking up maybe to catch a Scooby snack.