WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 02:35 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States
Pads II WIP

Hi folks
It's been a while since I did a WIP thread, but since I have a digital camera now my "sharing art" life has gotten so much easier.
Anyway, some of you may have seen my Pads painting a few weeks back. It was based upon a ref. ph. by Ticktock01.

I decided, I could do better. I'm sure of it. Actually, I was fairly satisfied with the whole thing save for the flower itself...

So, with time off from work I have decided to try it again . What the heck! And maybe some newbies to watercolor in general, will feel encouraged to see someone else keep practicing!

OK--Here is the painting to be re-done:

Pads I.

Now to follow the start of Pads II:

Step 1.

I did the drawing on tracing paper and transferred it to #140 rough Arches.
I decided to use a trick I learned on one of my new Creative Catylyst videos made by artist Susan Bourdet. Susan recommends spraying over your pencil/graphite drawing on wc paper with workable fixitive. (She states no need for this if you use a non oily graphite paper however.) I thought this seemed like a good idea so I wouldn't smear up my paper and lose necessary detail information. I am learning, really good (realist)watercolorist like/use VERY detailed drawings for their paintings. It just so happened I had a can on hand.

step 2.

Okay...so your wondering...."Maryann, what is that plastic on your painting?" Well, I was recently at a demonstration where the artist used a product called Frisket Film to mask off large portions of her paintings. I did not have Frisket Film (a common air brush art supply), BUT the really nice shop owner of Tacoma Art Supply gave me for free--two sheets of a plastic material that airbrush artist ofter use to make stencils. So this was my try
at it.
You place the acetate over the work and use a sharpie to trace a 1/4 line inside your area to masked. Than...after cutting along the sharpie line, place the acetate over the work and seal in it on with a wide band of masking fluid.
Now your ready to do your backround.
Well....hey....I'm not buying books, going to demonstrations and watching painting videos for nothing .
Honestly, for me at this point...I feel more like my painting is about challenging myself to see what I can do.....and...I just plain like to paint.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States
Re: Pads II WIP

Alright...moving right along.

I did my backround. It's the water. Let me just say, COMMENTS OKAY, CRITICISM NOT OKAY. Hind site being 20/20, I think I would have began the water differently. Perhaps with tons of paint and a smoosh/smoosh of color for the shape of the reflected petals.....but...I didn't do it that way. I did it the hard way....(eyeroll)...to many layers, too much work, made me tired that is why I don't want criticism. I'll get there when I get there.

sorry for the blur.

^^^I finally did a little margarita salt, and when that scraped off, some spatter with watered down white gouache.
So this is where I'm at now. I will post updates as I come along. Thank you for "tuning in."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I suggest you consider leaving some meniscus reflections along the edge of some of the leaves to catch the sky light. Also it's common for some of the leaves to have curled edges showing the brown underside.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Looking forward to the progression!!!!! and I don't think you'll get any criticism, if anything they would be suggestions!
Uschi

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

This will be fun to watch. I've never used frisket film, so it should be interesting to see how it works. I'll be back.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States

Doug! you sent me on a little bit of a hunt this morning.

Meniscus: Crescent Shaped.

Not to mention...Claude Monet got a fair amount of criticism. I didn't know that.....

here is the ref. note, I have eliminated the red "branches" at the bottom.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

What I meant was a shiny reflection line where the pad meets the water, caused by surface tension.

Guess you have flat leaves and no water drops

Doug
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hptecat,
Thank you for doing this WIP: waterlily paintings are my favorite and a few weeks ago when I saw yours I found it delightful. I am really looking forward to the rest of this thread and to learning from your experience.
Christiane
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States

Christine! Thank you so much! ...maybe I should give up painting and run some sort of gallery/school where my real job is just to inspire and cheer on others. . Sometimes I think I'm better at that.

Okay----So Doug was right, there are no bubbles, speckles in the water. If we're really taking the reference into account. . I was trying soooo hard to create...layers...depth...oh so hard...I about tried myself into another failure .

So.....onward to

Step 3:

For step 3, we turn our paper over and refer back to steps 1 and 2.
And this is what I got.

I like this much better. Perhaps it isn't meant for me to be a photorealist, BUT I expect enough of myself to at least create something that looks like it has LIFE to it. The former water had no sense of depth or glow or life.
The speckle in the upper right is NOT SALT, I dropped in some wet yellow into dryer backround of sepia/undersea green douple dipped brush mixing on paper.
I did use watered down white guoache (sp?) for the petal reflections and I hope the watercolor police wont arrest me for that.
This has ....a whole different "feel" from the original I think....tell me folks, does it seem more sophisticated and less childish? Please say yes....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States

Okay---this project is still on track. Today I did some sample making and observation to help me figure out my next move. This is what is going on.

A. I glazed just a smidge more green into the lower/lower right of the water to define the light more. After seeing it on the computer screen I felt it needed this. Now I can honestly say, IRL passing by it and at the 5ft. obs. distance ...I am liking it....

Now I made an observation at this point about "key." Ya see, the original I did had "high key". I used loud colors...which is fine but look at this....

So I made little "pad samples" and "auditioned" them. The mission is to develop a pad with an underglow, with proper light placement-that looks like it "belongs" on this painting. A bit calmer perhaps yet with an aknowledgment of light and shadow. I'm not concerned with "shine and jump" because I know once it's under glass it will convey a glossy sense of "finish."
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States

I was still at it tonight, but now I think I've got it and I'm gonna get some sleep and look again in the morning. But I think I've got it....

pad samples:

Now it should be more apparent what my line of thinking is. See how the new samples show variation, light and life--but they don't scream. Thats what I was trying to find. If I already had mixing charts of all my stuff I suppose this would have been quiker to find .

Current sample: Undersea green, Serpantine green, Indian Red, Lemon yellow.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

I am still here, enjoying watching over your shoulder.......

JJ
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Seattle

Hails from Italy

this is fun! you haven't invited me over yet, but i can look over your shoulder just the same. So far, it's great!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States

Alright---I did a little more today.

Earlier today I painted up some samples of Duochrome Seguro Green to show some folks over in Pallete Talk. When I did the sample I realized this paint was a nice complement to the greens, yellow and Indian Red I already decided on for these pads. So I did one more sample:

To my mind, as an accent, the shine looks "wet." So Mimi, in answer to a question you asked in the DS Metallic Demo...I guess you will have a chance to see at least this color play a small supporting role in this painting.

So today- I sprayed another coat of workable fixative over the painting hoping this would help prevent backrun/lifting of the painted water....
Than I painted the darkest pad at the top, than did "underpainting" for the second darkest pad...

^^^that part was scary.....

^^^ with the green over the underpainting. Note, if you put on your second layer (which the green is), than get your brush good and dry (this is a 1" flat), brush it over your almost dry paint.....you get this..."Oil painting" sort of texture. I am really liking it on this subdued palette...it "fits."

Now here is a comparison- original/re-do

The yellower pads are to come....and I think will just "Infuse" this painting...
stay tuned....
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Immortalized
Bellport, Ny

Hails from United States

Hi! Hp, Watching along here, very different from the first re-do. thanks for doing this WIP and sharing your tips and techniques as you go along. Regards, Marianne