WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
A challenging collage artist

No bunnies, glitter, or butterfly wings here! Nicole Natri digs down deep to come up with themes that will challenge the viewer. Some of her images are deeply moving...all of them are well composed. She agreed to do an artist profile for me, and I think you'll find her work and her ideas worth a look

LINK

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: A challenging collage artist

Another very creative unique artist. Very interesting Cyndi!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Thank you for sharing the link - nice to see something different.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi L
No bunnies, glitter, or butterfly wings here!
And, best of all, no crowns or clown hats!

Seriously, a very interesting artist and I loved reading her profile at your blog, Cyndi -- another bravo!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Nicole's work is great!

But I have a question. When you collage and use work drawn by another, which it looks like this may be, what do you do about copyrights? It looks like most of her works use images from medical and other books.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Baby
...I have a question. When you collage and use work drawn by another, which it looks like this may be, what do you do about copyrights? It looks like most of her works use images from medical and other books.
I have taken a couple of collage classes from masters of the art and this issue has come up both times. Unless you use material that is clearly out of copyright, you are running a risk of copyright violation. Nicole says she uses 'vintage' materials (a word so misused in the craft sector now as to be virtually meaningless), and if she means 'out of copyright' by that term, then she's probably OK.

The truth, though, is that you're always taking a chance using other people's images. Some collagists avoid this by taking their own photos and drawing, painting or digitally creating the imagery they use, but of course that option isn't available to all of us. There is no magic rule of what percentage of change you have to make in other people's imagery in order not to run afoul of copyrights and, especially if you sell your work, you always run the risk of being found in violation of copyright if your work comes to the attention of the original copyright holder.

Sobering thought, isn't it?

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Nicole lives in Sweden, where the rules may be different, for all I know. The magic number in the USA is 1923. Anything published after that date has to be looked up to see if it's clear. Before that date, you're golden.

I prefer to use stuff from before 1923, or my own stuff.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I remember you mentioning that Cyndi the other day that a question of using a Frida Kalo painting came up. That has always been one of my doubts, I'm never sure where you draw the line.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

The problem is that I have no idea what the copyright laws of other countries are, Mary. Are they the same worldwide? I kinda doubt it
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I don't think they are the same Cyndi. I found the law for Mexico but I will have to read it another day with a little more time.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Thanks ladies. 1923. Is this even for works of art? Can anyone reproduce th Mona Lisa then? Seems unfair to the artist.

I see lots of art that looks like it is questionable now that computer aided scans of books and artwork is available. I always try to draw my own images though I think it would be great sometimes to incorporate a well-done drawing in my work.

If I trace and re-draw a picture let's say from an old book drawing, is it copyright infringement? I heard somewhere that there is a rule that you have to change 3 things, so if you use pencil & they use ink, and you have modified a section of it????

Just asking, I think there are a lot of people doing this as well.

Does anyone know if the international world is working out copyright laws that cross country lines - since the internet also makes things "different" these days?

Thanks in advance, I don't think I am treading on anyone's art/rights, but am curious about this issue.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:24 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Baby
Thanks ladies. 1923. Is this even for works of art? Can anyone reproduce th Mona Lisa then? Seems unfair to the artist.
Yes, it's true for works of art. That's why Frida Kahlo's work, the Mona Lisa, Boticelli's 'Birth of Venus,' and so much more gets reproduced over and over (and over...) in collage and craft work.

Quote:
I see lots of art that looks like it is questionable now that computer aided scans of books and artwork is available. I always try to draw my own images though I think it would be great sometimes to incorporate a well-done drawing in my work.

If I trace and re-draw a picture let's say from an old book drawing, is it copyright infringement? I heard somewhere that there is a rule that you have to change 3 things, so if you use pencil & they use ink, and you have modified a section of it????

Just asking, I think there are a lot of people doing this as well.
There is no "3 things" rule. If you trace or copy from a book whose copyright is expired, you're generally OK; if not, not.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the international world is working out copyright laws that cross country lines - since the internet also makes things "different" these days?

Thanks in advance, I don't think I am treading on anyone's art/rights, but am curious about this issue.

The international world can't agree on global warming, never mind copyright! China, Russia and many others are notorious for disregarding copyright in other countries. The EU may be working on or have developed a common copyright law, since they are systematizing much else in Europe, but I really don't know about that. I think it remains to be seen how publishing something on the internet will be treated worldwide.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

None of us here are copyright lawyers, I don't think so anyway! Here's the ONLY authoritative source for US copyright laws: the US government site

Diana is right ~ there is no such thing as a "3 things rule", there is no such thing as a "change it 10%" rule, "only use 10%" rule, or any of the other things people often say. There is no such thing as international copyright law that every nation agrees upon.

Here's more than you probably ever wanted to know from the site:

Works Published and Copyrighted Before January 1, 1978 · A work published before January 1, 1978, and copyrighted within the past 75 years may still be protected by copyright in the United States if a valid renewal registration was made during the 28th year of the first term of the copyright. If renewed by registration or under the Copyright Renewal Act of 1992 and if still valid under the other provisions of the law, the copyright will expire 95 years from the end of the year in which it was first secured.

Therefore, the U.S. copyright in any work published or copyrighted prior to January 1, 1923, has expired by operation of law, and the work has permanently fallen into the public domain in the United States. For example, on January 1, 1997, copyrights in works first published or copyrighted before January 1, 1922, have expired; on January 1, 1998, copyrights in works first published or copyrighted before January 1, 1923, have expired. Unless the copyright law is changed again, no works under protection on January 1, 1999, will fall into the public domain in the United States until January 1, 2019.

Works First Published or Copyrighted Between January 1, 1923, and December 31, 1949, But Not Renewed · If a work was first published or copyrighted between January 1, 1923, and December 31, 1949, it is important to determine whether the copyright was renewed during the last (28th) year of the first term of the copyright. This can be done by searching the Copyright Office records or catalogs as explained previously. If no renewal registration was made, copyright protection expired permanently at the end of the 28th year of the year date it was first secured.

Works First Published or Copyrighted Between January 1, 1923, and December 31, 1949, and Registered for Renewal · When a valid renewal registration was made and copyright in the work was in its second term on December 31, 1977, the renewal copyright term was extended under the latest act to 67 years. In these cases, copyright will last for a total of 95 years from the end of the year in which copyright was originally secured. Example: Copyright in a work first published in 1925 and renewed in 1953 will expire on December 31, 2020.

Works First Published or Copyrighted Between January 1, 1923, and December 31, 1949, and Registered for Renewal · When a valid renewal registration was made and copyright in the work was in its second term on December 31, 1977, the renewal copyright term was extended under the latest act to 67 years. In these cases, copyright will last for a total of 95 years from the end of the year in which copyright was originally secured. Example: Copyright in a work first published in 1925 and renewed in 1953 will expire on December 31, 2020.

Works First Published or Copyrighted Between January 1, 1964, and December 31, 1977 · If a work was in its first 28- year term of copyright protection on June 26, 1992, renewal registration is now optional. The term of copyright for works published or copyrighted during this time period has been extended to 95 years by the Copyright Renewal Act of 1992 and the Sonny Bono Term Extension Act of 1998. There is no need to make the renewal filing to extend the original 28- year copyright term to the full 95 years.

However, there are several advantages to making a renewal registration during the 28th year of the original term of copyright. If renewal registration is made during the 28th year of the original term of copyright, the renewal copyright vests in the name of the renewal claimant on the effective date of the renewal registration; the renewal certificate constitutes prima facie evidence as to the validity of the copyright during the renewed and extended term and of the facts stated in the certificate; and, the right to use the derivative work in the extended term may be affected. Request Circular 15 for further information.

Unpublished, Unregistered Works · Before 1978, if a work had been neither “published” in the legal sense nor registered in the Copyright Office, it was subject to perpetual protection under the common law. On January 1, 1978, all works of this kind, subject to protection by copyright, were automatically brought under the federal copyright statute. The duration of copyright for these works can vary, but none of them expired before December 31, 2002.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Whew! There are only two things from the US gov site that I worry about:
My own stuff is always ok for me to use, and anything prior to 1923 has permanently fallen into the public domain. Anything else would have to be investigated, and that's just way too much work for me
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

And, by the way, "publishing" just means to put something out in public view, so posting things on the internet is considered publishing.