WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Florida

Hails from United States
Lillies - Need background help

Hello everyone

I am one of the those lurkers who faithfully read and soak up all the information everyone shares, and actually produce a painting a couple of times a year worth posting.

Here is one I am not done with yet but thought I would post what I have so far and I would like ideas on a background color. These colors are pretty much as they are IRL.

Here is the link the the ref pic in the RIL by Madmumhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...=62450&cat=556

As you can see from the ref picture there is a satin background, would this color still be okay with the background or any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Kay
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Comox, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Lillies - Need background help

Well...you're likely to get a variety of opinions here...some prefer a background...some don't. I am of the 'no background' type...and I think that you have done such a beautiful job on these lilies, and the leaves, that they could stand alone. A few more darks...maybe some splatter for the centers (I like splatter ) to add interest and texture.
This is quite beautiful...let's see what the others suggest!
Click Here for my Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks Tracy for your input...
As I mentioned I have not quite finished the flowers ( haven't gotten to the spots in the centers) was trying to get background ideas in order to get a good feeling of how far I needed to take the values in the rest of the flower petals.

Okay 1 vote for no background!

Thanks again!
Kay
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Maui

Hails from United States

Beautiful job on the Lillies. I vote no - at this point. It is hard to see the white paper on line. I think the BG needed to go in first because the clarity of petals might become fuzzy. Next time you might want to start with a light green BG first leaving the petals negative so the whites will shine thru.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

Interesting question - I always struggle over backgrounds also. In this case, I think a very light wash of pale green would work well, maybe with some slightly darker 'shadow' leaves as well. Great work on the lilies.

I dream my paintings, then I paint my dreams. (Vincent van Gogh) www.yessy.com/darleneskidmore/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast
Denmark, Sydals

Hails from Denmark

I wouldn't paint a background I think the flower a beautiful as they are!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Good job here!
The bg would depend upon if you want it as an interior scene or out in the garden. Use the satin if interior and an impressionistic rendering if not. If you choose to color it, I'd use warm yellows, greens and browns with touches of your flower color. Or just leave as it is. I often leave white of the paper for the bg.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

I love to paint florals... and most of the time, I paint my backgrounds last... it's rare that I find it necessary to establish my overall values by blocking in the background during the beginning stages.

That said... you could do a very washy background of leaves and blooms, just suggesting a garden setting... you could paint in a sky setting that changes the perspective... or you could paint the drapery...

You have a lot of options and as the artist, it's your decision... your background finishes your work... it creates the *whole* picture...

You have a GREAT start... keep going... and post your next steps...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

I vote for a background, very soft and mottled, including yellows to suggest light but some dark valuess and definately some blues in there too... there's a lot of potential for eye-grabbing drama here.
***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** http://www.lauradicus.com