WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
Dayton, OH

Hails from United States
I need HELP again!!

I wonder what you all think about where this painting should go. I would like to have some "texture" in the background. I've played around a LITTLE bit with the spray bottle and with drops of paint/water. I'll do more on that. The photo I'm working from is of my son walking across a creek on a fallen tree. The Rocky Mountains are in the background of the photo, but I was going to leave them out of the painting. Does this make sense?
Also, any ideas about how to complete the background OR the figure so as to make it interesting but keep focus on the figure would be welcome. Suggestions as to colors and composition are welcome also! As always, ALL suggestions and your time and generosity are appreciated.

Mike
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: I need HELP again!!

I like the lightness in detail and color that you have created so far. I would not do a lot more to the background and focus your strength in color and detail on your son which is your COI. Just a suggestion. This is looking great, looking forward to seeing more.

I dream my paintings, then I paint my dreams. (Vincent van Gogh) www.yessy.com/darleneskidmore/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Keep the back light and blued and the foreground bright but subtle enough that your son is the COI Give him a red shirt or red shorts or orange....

Don't forget to put in some sky..

JJ
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Colorado

Hails from United States

I wouldn't touch that background (actually I would because I have little restraint, but that's another matter). I like the suggestiveness of it as it is.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

Mike,
I like where you are going with this. I think you could just paint a nice sky back there (you could make it one of those orangey early morning skies for color since the water is in the blue family).

Make your son the strongest tones in the painting and he will naturally be the COI because of placement and the fact that he is a living being (these always draw the eye in any painting ).

Looking forward to seeing this develop. Isn't it nice that you have a live-in model for your paintings.

Sylvia
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A simple sky would accentuate the boy:

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 AM
WC! Guide
Ohio

Hails from United States

I think that you should leave the whole background alone UNTIL you get your son painted. Then you will know what you need. Nice start.

Jan
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Dayton, OH

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone. JJ, he's actually wearing an orange shirt in the photo - so that should be easy! - though an orangy sky sounded neat, too. Thanks for that pic, Doug - it makes sense.
I really like the "gesture" here, the way the feet and arms are keeping him balanced. I just hope I can end up with a PAINTING instead of just a drawing with some colors thrown in...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Try dropping the colours into the painting wet in wet and letting them mingle instead of mixing the colours on the palette. That is one good way of making a painting and not a paint by numbers if you know what i mean.....

JJ
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Comox, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

This is such a wonderful picture of your son! If he's wearing an orange shirt, that will look awesome against the blue sky...and help to make him the center of interest...then maybe put a little of the orange lightly on his feet and legs...as shading...to stand out against the blue of the water. Just a thought...it works in my head!
This is going to be really really nice!!
Click Here for my Website
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
Dayton, OH

Hails from United States

Well, it looks pretty orangy. His hair will be darker. I actually think I'd like the feet to be the focus... I think his head's too close to the top. I'll need to tone down the reds in the shadows, or add other color to the skin.
Any more ideas????

I
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Comox, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Oh yes, I agree...his feet should definitely be the focus...I like that idea!
So...what do they say about creating a focal point...darkest dark and lightest light...or color contrast...less detail in other parts...hhhmmm...
I think you might consider lightening those dark spots you have in the background....cause that's where my goes right away...and I want to watch his feet as he crosses that log!
Click Here for my Website
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Looking good.

Does your camera have a white balance feature on it? If so you can use it to get rid off that coloured cast to the picture. You can also "fix" it in your photo editing program.

JJ
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dayton, OH

Hails from United States

I've done some more. I don't like how the arm gets lost in the shirt & I don't like the water. The hair may need a touch up. Any suggestions for making this come alive a little?
Thanks again.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

Mike,
You can either make the shirt a shade or two darker around the arm or make the skin tones of his arm and legs be the darker elements. Even though you want the top of his arm and the front of his legs to be light because the sun is hitting his body from that direction, the backs could definitely be a deeper tone of whatever color you are using for the flesh just as the back of his shorts and shirt are deeper in tone than the fronts.

Sylvia