WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
living on sailboat, in Grenada right now

Hails from United States
Market Day

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Market Day
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I found a picture of a wonderfully robust women in the islands and then another of a cooky women, also had a picture of chickens. Put them all together to get my Market Day. Used gessoed canvas and was surprised our well the paint took.I am used to using whatever paper I can find. This was a very nice change for me. The background is made up of scens I have seen, looks comical but I had fun doing it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Want your opinions on background and composition
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Sunny California

Hails from United States
Re: Market Day

Excellent picture, I really like how you put different pieces onto one painting. Nice work. My only suggestion would be to make the lady in the background have a little bit of a longer face to match her photo. I sure wish I could paint people like that Again Wonderful job.

"The best way out is always through."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

There's a really nice flow with the compostion. The repeated shapes and perspective keep the eye moving. I do think, however the main lady looks very realistic, and the background "cooky woman" looks very cartoon. I agree with Mariah her face should be longer, and mostly it is her very short nose that adds that cartoonish feel and is distracting me from the rest of the painting.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

I really like this one. Looks like everyone is happy and having a good time. Looks like the people in the background are setting up for a picnic, I wonder if the chicken is in their plans? I like the little girl as she is. She looks much younger than the photo and seems to exude anticipation. Great scene................Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

wonderful colors and happy subject matter
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 AM

Hails from United States

Than k you all for your comments. I may try another market day painting making the cooky woman a little more realistic, like my original sketch of her and use another robust lady.
This painting is already gone, someone thought the robust lady was Aunt Jemina and wanted it!
2003maryann
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM

Hails from United States

Just another note. I am self taught and in the beginning I used mazazine pictures as my reference to having models available in different positions since I didn't have a good camera or models at the time. Now I have a camera and am using it and looking forward to really getting into my favorites and painting them. I also learned to change the faces if possible on the pictures I used, most times. Thanks for listening.