WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast
(the big house)

Hails from Slovenia
Worst.Sunrise.Painting.EVER.

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Worst.Sunrise.Painting.EVER.
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 X 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Admit it: there are some paintings so bad they almost leave you gasping and wishing you hadn't eaten recently. Well, this might be in that category.<br><br>Trust me, the camera almost refused to take this picture. <br><br>I'm at a loss to explain it, but it was sure fun making it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is your opportunity to give a critique where you're certain that no matter what you say the "artist" is not going to be offended. My neighbor, who is an actual artist and quite talented, was aghast at this. Mission accomplished, I guess.<br><br>So, blast away! How many times do you get to really say what you feel about a painting without wondering if you'll get put on Double Secret Probation by WC? <br><br>Seize the chance before a mod deletes it!!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Hawaii

Hails from United States
Re: Worst.Sunrise.Painting.EVER.

Personally, I like it. I think it's very Van Gogh-esque. The only thing I could say is, where's the sun?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
A Local Legend
Montréal

Well, I do like the movement in this, as I see it more like a zoom in on some waves.
I can almost hear the sea and almost feel ligtheadedness cos the head is spinin !
Cool , I like it too

Daniel
......More Art................
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hello Seems I'll be the first to really use this unique opportunity to say what I think (in the matter of fact, I lost a friend here who got angry with me for saying my critique)...back here, first, I wish it was well photographed and framed, second, using this lines' technic is very nice, but! it should have gotten a more careful treatment. It looks clumzy, the way the ends of lines of the above wave are not hiddened by the closer wave. You achieved a great feel of colors but the finish is we say "partach" also, the middle wave could have recieved a more "wavy" movement. I'll tell you what I have been told by all my teachers at school "I looks clear you have a potential".

www.ronni.co.il
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
NW Louisiana

Hails from United States

It kind of reminds me of the ocean, and of muscle fibers. In the middle of the bottom, it could be a reflection of light.

I'm thinking this is a reflection of the sunrise on water, right? I saw no mention of water in your post, but it looks quite green on my monitor. Since it's acrylic, you can probably work with it some more. It seems as though that fibrous diagonal swath of color in the middle has split open an upper layer, and is coming up through it. That's the part that makes me think of muscles. I think it has great possibilities as an abstract piece.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

nice colors, they look tropical like colors you'd find at a beach condo

it DOES look like the ocean...reflection of sunrise in the ocean....
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 06:38 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi Ejtupi....Well.........when I first looked at it, it looked like a surfboard without the surfer. I downloaded it and rotated it. Different views give it different ideas. When it is rotated so the surfboard thingy is upright, it looks like a good background for a painting by La,,,,,,just kidding. I am so grounded I have never gotten into abstract much except for mendosa's work. I do like the colors. Maybe if the surfboard was round, it could be made into an eddy or whirlpool........Well maybe...............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast
(the big house)

Hails from Slovenia

Oops! Just realized it was upside down! (Thanks for the reminder, Lenore!)

Kidding.

Just in case, here it is, cropped and flipped. If I keep cropping it I might find a part I like. Now it's a sunrise [or sunset] over a gruesome green ocean.

I should have mentioned that this is the first in a series of themed paintings. My next one is titled, "Horrendous.Portrait.of.Some.Old.Dude.with.Lots.of .Lines.on.His.Face.to.Show.Character"

I'll start that one very soon.

Until then, continue the critiques, please. Thanks to all who've participated in this group venting. Kind of an interesting exercise in finding how colors, forms, contours, and lines evoke personal and individual internal responses.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Don't be so hard on yourself, it's actually quite lovely, in a small, unpretentious way.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Ejtupi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is your best yet..Nahhhhhhhhhhh the jumping fox one is still my favorite. This is quite nice but I'm getting a bit seasick..It really moves you around. What type of sunsets are they getting up in the frozen North. your putting yourself down bit is not gonna work with me. You did a good job and it shows....................The rainbow colors work well in a harmonious balance with the green background......Go have some squirrel stew mixed with pine seeds Some warm milk with a little of Jack Daniels and you will feel better about it in the morning....John
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Lord of the Arts

One thing I can say, you are never boring, always surprising, and your experimental attitiude is exiting to me. I really believe you are a greater artist already, then those who keep coppying things and themselves all the time.

www.ronni.co.il
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
brr cold!??

Hee.. i like his upbeat comments too!
blast away!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Oh. Ummm. Er... Well, love the opportunity.

As an optical confusion-device affecting the brain and balance organ, it works really well, excellently, in fact. Psychedelic. It might have a future in the interrogation business.

It is not actually really ugly, it is the fact that the waves dance and move that is so disturbing, and a certain colour effect of an already eaten meal becoming, well, let's say --visible again.

In short, the optical effect is literally nauseating to me, and the stripes of colour vibrate against each other to create a colour sensation of -- minestrone... pizza...

And I'm only being honest, not even venting.... must have a mean streak.

Totally useless question: If people ask for C&C, and if they ask "please give me your thoughts", why then do they become offended. if in the midst of tons of friendly and nice kudos, there appears a gentle suggestion that is valid and would make their paintings better? The answer is of course that people are people, and quite often don't mean what they say. C&C may be short for Compliments & Credit, in their vocabulary.

Thank you for posting, I'd love to see the next planned painting.

Charlie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

eeehhh I like it better in the first one
...strange, I like another of your paintings better upside down as well...
but I s'pose it looks more like a sunset in second one...though the colors are off and the horizon line is jagged
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Worst.Sunrise.Painting.EVER.

Yup you are right rotflol

You new best friend JJ