WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Clay
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 PM

Is polymer clay 'waterproof'?

My daughter wants to make snow globes as a project for her kids in daycare. She's using baby food jars as the container, and oil or clear syrup as the filler to keep the glitter moving. Her problem is finding something that would serve as the medium for the snowmen. Can she use polymer clay for the snowmen? Once baked, is it waterproof? If not, any suggestions? Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Re: Is polymer clay 'waterproof'?

Polymer clay is basically plastic, so it should be waterproof.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks so much for the response, Rose Queen! Now she gets to bone up on how to work with it!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States

What a neat idea.........Please share what they look like when you get them done!
Sher

Art is not what you see,
but what you make others see.
-Edgar Degas
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Yes, it is waterproof and works great in snow globes. I worked with polymer clay for years, and about 5 years ago made some snow globes, with polymer gingerbread cottages. They still look just great.

Some glycerin in water will work as the liquid inside, too.
What a fun project.

Minibrush

Last edited by Minibrush : 11-26-2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: change wording
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM

I've done this before. I've made 4, but only have a pic of one. One of the others the clay broke off in pieces (on the outside of the globe), one of them I put some "snow" paint inside the globe and it seemed to not be so waterproof so it made the water cloudy (still to this day), and all of the globes the clay cracked here and there on the outside of the globe. The inside pieces i glued to the inside with superglue ( i think, its been awhile)
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibrush
Yes, it is waterproof and works great in snow globes. I worked with polymer clay for years, and about 5 years ago made some snow globes, with polymer gingerbread cottages. They still look just great.

Some glycerin in water will work as the liquid inside, too.
What a fun project.

Minibrush

Minibrush, I am new to this forum, but I sculpt in Polymer Clay, mainly babies. Do you have any pictures I can see of your snow globes? I would love to see them.

Thanks!
Glo
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesArt
I've done this before. I've made 4, but only have a pic of one. One of the others the clay broke off in pieces (on the outside of the globe), one of them I put some "snow" paint inside the globe and it seemed to not be so waterproof so it made the water cloudy (still to this day), and all of the globes the clay cracked here and there on the outside of the globe. The inside pieces i glued to the inside with superglue ( i think, its been awhile)

Ames, how on earth did you make the clear polymer clay? With liquid sculpey? It is soooo beautiful!
Glo
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 PM
California. More northern.

Hails from United States

Snowglobes and polymer clay can work - I've seen a couple that were over 20 years old and still looking good.

My ebay | My Artfire

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesArt

That is sad the clay broke on you. My guess you were using Sculpey III which can be very brittle. Next time you make one of these snow globes use Premo or Fimo and you will have better luck. I have also been experimenting with the baking times and have found if I broke the rules a bit I could get the clay much harder. To read more on this read my post When Baking Beads, It's OK to Sometimes Break the Rules!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabiesbyGlo
Ames, how on earth did you make the clear polymer clay? With liquid sculpey? It is soooo beautiful!
Glo

Hi, Thanks. I used only white, blue, and black clay for this. No clear clay, or liquid sculpey.

Cindy- Yeah I used Sculpey III. The globes take alot of clay and I had a big box of white sculpey III so I used that. Using anything else would probably get alittle expensive.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

Yeah maybe. Next time Michaels has a sale on the clay stock up. I don't know if it is the same where you are as it is here in Canada, but when the Michaels here has a sale, all brands are $1.50 per pack. That can make quite a difference since our regular price on Premo is $4.65!

On the waterproof part, I don't know if someone already said this, but yes it is waterproof. In fact there are people who make fishing lures out of polymer clay!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 AM

I found the clay the other day that I used for that globe and actually its Sculpey Original not Sculpey III. I definitely would try a stronger brand next time and yeah I got a good deal on poly clay just last week ...$1 for Premo!!!...unfortunately I could only afford to buy $10 worth though!