WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
tallahassee

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Venus

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Venus
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24X36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am at a weird point in my life and while I don't want to go into it I do want to express some of the sadness I feel. I shed all colour and excesses that I frequent and went for something slightly more stark. I was inspired by many old images of fertility goddess and the ideas found in the masks of the gods.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This was the first time I used Mars Black and flake white replacement. I wanted the finsihed work to look and feel like it was a pencil drawing so I hope that in that respect the work is successful
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Re: Venus

I think it was successful in the respect--I really like it alot; my only nit would be the "line" above the breast (on the left side as you view it). My eye keeps getting drawn there and I'm not exactly sure why--maybe soften it a little...

I know what you mean about doing something that reflects your feelings...although I have yet to be able to get away from color. Guess it's just not in my nature...

Michele

My tumblr blog: http://artisticallyinclinedartist.tumblr.com/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Now this is an intriguing composition! I agree with Michele's comments. Soften that line and you are done with it. Nice work!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Really enjoy the painting of this. In spite of your expressed sadness, I find it somewhat humorous -- the big ole breasts looking like giant, bulging eyes, etc. Just one nit: I'm almost always disturbed at nude paintings that eliminate the head: it's like sensuality -- from the opposite gender perspective -- cannot include a face and mind. Just me, though. I'm sure you had your reasons.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Dana Design

Softening the lines on the top of the breasts as they rise up to meet the chest/neck area would enhance this.

However, I really have to crits to this at all. I like it! Well done!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Dana Design

Softening the lines on the top of the breasts as they rise up to meet the chest/neck area would enhance this.

However, I really have no crits to this at all. I like it! Well done!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

same story from me with the smoothing of the lines joining the breasts to chest

love the glow and the bulging everything, love bodies in general, would like a hint of chin, tis all i need to place mood/story to a subject

great job, do more

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:12 PM
A Local Legend
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

I'll disagree with my learned colleagues and say that that line about the breasts makes the painting for me, as does the lack of a face or personna.

The breasts look 'tacked on' or glued on as if to amplify the culture's rampant breast fetish which leads women to do stange surgical things to their bodies that leave seams lke this one, or provide a seam that allows us to detach the breasts from the person, who after all has no head anyway.
Attachable and detachable breasts! Zip 'em on as needed or take 'em home , leave her behind and bring 'em back tomorrow.
If that's not what you had in mind, take the line out as my colleagues suggest.
If it is, it's an insightful statement.
The bloodless lack of color fits in aptly.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Dana Design

Interesting viewpoint, Bill! Has me thinking...and...yes, I'm liking it the way it is more and more. And it's a biggie. Great statement!