WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States
DEMO - Landscape

Hello Everybody!
I’ve been preparing this demo for the last few days and I hope it is useful to you.
It is 16”x20” on Ampersand Pastelbord with a watercolor underpainting. It is inspired by my little mini painting Aqua Fields.
So, let’s get going.
#1 - I did just a quick sketch in pencil that consisted of about 5 lines. It is not included here because the photo came out too light…sorry! This is my initial watercolor underpainting. Started out with just a green and purple for shadows and establish the scene.

#2 - Used a less diluted purple watercolor because I wanted nice rich, dark areas in the deepest shadow areas. (I left the little minis in this photo so you could see them. Haven’t posted the middle one yet. It’s my first snow scene.)

#3 – Starting to establish the distant trees with a nice dark blue Polychromos, a medium ultramarine blue NuPastel (one of my favorite blues to use for mountains), and a dark purple Polychromos in the deepest shadows.

#4 – Blocking in the sky with a light lavender Mount Vision, and also 3 shades of greens for the initial grasses, all Mount Visions. In the distance is the more yellow, lightest color of green, and as I’m coming forward slowly the colors start to darken.

#5 – One of my favorite parts…the sky. At the lowest part in the sky I block in an off-white and then a pink, the middle sky gets blocked in with a light aqua, and the top right gets a medium blue. This is the trick though…once the initial colors are established from bottom to top, I start back down from the top to bottom. This starts blending the colors or the sky so there are no hard edges. I do this a couple, maybe three times so the sky looks nice and painterly. It turns out looking so pretty with the combination of pinks, lavenders, aquas and blues. All the colors are Mount Visions except for the off white and pink, they are Paul deMarrais (yummy soft)!

#6 – So far, all the colors I’ve used in the painting.

#7 – Start defining the road and putting some luscious aqua in the foreground. In the absolute LAST step, after the road has been defined and looks very uniform (you’ll see what I mean later), I’m going to mess it all up so it looks more painterly. In this step I can tell that the road is too narrow and that will be fixed later on. Both colors are Mount Visions.

#8 – Using a light-peachy-sand color, the road gets blocked in. Also used a deep rusty brown in the shadows of the trees. (Forgot to put that color in the photo.) All colors are Mount Visions.

#9 – Adding a deep green in the foreground and a peachier color in the road.

#10 – With a very deep deep deep de Marrais green, I start blocking in the dark areas of the trees with random scumbling strokes.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: DEMO - Landscape

Please Do Not Post Yet
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

#11 – Putting in some ochre in the trees and also a gorgeous deep aqua blue in the shadows of trees and across the road. Ochre is Mount Vision. Deep aqua is something really soft like a Schmincke, but can’t remember what it is.

#12 – More bright greens in the foreground grasses.

#13 – Continuing with more greens in the grasses and also in the trees. I love greens. There are so many variations in the grass to make it interesting.

#14 – This is one of the exciting parts! Starting to establish leaves with a nice bright yellow-green Mount Vision.

#15 – Oh No! The dreaded sky holes! LOL
Using the light aqua color and quickly tap tap tapping in little sky holes randomly through the tops of the trees. A pattern with start to emerge that will help you as you place the sky holes.
I also used a beautiful medium blue-purple de Marrais in areas under the trees and on the shadow of the road. Such a yummy color (I guess I forgot to put it in the photo too.)

#16 – Progress photo – taking a break for a while. At this point I’m about 2 hours into the painting.

#17 – Working on the road with the rusty brown Girault, a yellow NuPastel in the grasses , there is that gorgeous de Marrais medium blue-purple I told you about in step #15, and a Mount Vision aqua for the grass. That is the main color I used in the mini painting Aqua Fields.

#18 – My signature goes on the painting and as I stand back and analyze the areas of the painting, I realize the road is too narrow and as I said in step #7, it will be widened and made more painterly.

#19 – The road is fixed and the painting is pretty well finished. I may put a “halo” of blue around the trees. My teacher Kay Walton used to say to me “blend a half tone between the sky and the trees.”

#20 – One last thing…here are all the pastels I used.

Well, that’s it!
C&C and questions always welcome! I hope you enjoyed the demo and find it useful in creating your own landscapes.
Hugs,
Paula
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

THANKS, Paula, Very helpful, I love to see how others work. Really nice to be able to see the pastels you used and when. Nice painting, too!

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul and paints his own nature into his pictures." Henry Ward Beecher
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:23 PM
A WC! Legend
New York

Hails from United States

THANK YOU PAULA!!! Wow, that was a great trip from the underpainting all the way to the end! I'm going to study this again and again. Beautiful painting in every way.

Donna
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Living in Amherst, NY, but from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Great demo--thank you for all your work! The painting is wonderful, your steps are well described and good photos. (And I know how long it takes to get all that organized and uploaded--almost more work than the painting! )

Deborah
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Margie, Donna...thank you!!

Deborah, Thank you!! I'm glad you stopped in. I have a question. How do you know if the perspective on a road is right?

Paula
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you. I have bookmarked this already and will be having a try as soon as time permits.
Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
www.garyregnier.co.uk
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast
Ashland, OR USA

Hails from United States

Paula, thank you, thank you for doing this! It is gorgeous and I loved seeing your steps and thank you for putting the pastels in the photos, that really helps.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

Lovely demo I've got to try this .. as soon as I get some decent landscape colors I know it sounds like an excuse but its the truth ....

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Thank you Paula!!! You are a mind reader. I did another grass sketch today and put a tree in it. The only problem with that is, I don't know how to paint a tree. This is no lie, I said to myself "I wish Paula would do a tree demo." I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for sharing. This is a great demo.

Doug
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

Wonderful demo Paula, and thank you for taking the time to show us the sticks you used along the way. I'll definitely have to give this a try.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Paradise.

Hails from Scotland

Paula,

Many, many thanks for all the hard work that must have gone into this demo, and for you sharing it with us.

From what looked like 'chaos'; came yet more 'chaos', until you gently teased out the scene, pastel stroke by pastel stroke.

I definitely do not want to nit-pick, especially given your generosity in sharing - but you have mentioned the perspective of the road - and imho it looks intuitively as though it narrows too quickly into the background, even before it has reached the magnificent tree. Why I don't know - but it just "looks" odd.

p.s. 5 start rating for this, and a merit point...............
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
Byron Bay , NSW

Hails from Australia

wow Paula!!!! I am really impressed with this WIP. Your finished painting is really so beautiful. I am going to bookmark this WIP and follow it through with my own pastels.
Your methods are wonderful and are so very effective!!! I always wondered how you managed to paint so lovely...
Thankyou,
Annie
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

Perfect, great demo Paula! This is a treasure for landscape-challenged artists like myself, maybe I'll give landscape another try after this.....Great to see what colors you used, very helpfull!

Beautiful painting, I'm a big fan of yours! Love the colors, the trees are gorgeous! Thank you! (giving you 5 stars and a merit point too..... )